Should I change my Camper?

Whiz

Meet BANKSY - There is always "Hope"
T6 Guru
Hi all.
Option to upgrade interior of my VW LWB T6 150PS T32 Blue Motion 2016 ..... OR
change it for a VW T6 T28 SWB 84PS 2019 professionally fitted out full Camper...
2 concerns:
Will I find a Massive difference in power? Fyi I am not a fast driver but am worried it might feel really slow and sluggish?
The new van will cost me my van +£16k.
The fitout will cost me £7k so if you net it off a 3yr newer van is +£9k

TIA Paul

My view is that you’ll notice a difference. But, will it make a difference to you? If you’re not chasing “oomph”, it will be fine and bring as much fun.

My view is that you’ll notice a difference. But, will it make a difference to you? If you’re not chasing “oomph”, it will be fine and bring as much fun.
Thanks @JOG btw are you driving the 84ps fully loaded?
Mph ... don't need it tbh, just not a snail!

Hi all.
Option to upgrade interior of my VW LWB T6 150PS T32 Blue Motion 2016 ..... OR
change it for a VW T6 T28 SWB 84PS 2019 professionally fitted out full Camper...
2 concerns:
Will I find a Massive difference in power? Fyi I am not a fast driver but am worried it might feel really slow and sluggish?
The new van will cost me my van +£16k.
The fitout will cost me £7k so if you net it off a 3yr newer van is +£9k

TIA Paul
Doesn’t sound a great deal to me IMO has the newer van got more options other than the camper fit out?

If you are planning on keeping it for the long term, the age doesn't really come into the equation.

I'd stick with the van you know. After all, it's got more power, has the chassis that will cope better with the load and has the added bonus of an extra 400mm.

Doesn’t sound a great deal to me IMO has the newer van got more options other than the camper fit out?
No extras on the van as such... except much better fitout - which IMO is worth at least £3k of the 9k to me. So I guess the net =£6k!!! I know we can make numbers worth.
Appreciate you're reply @Chippie1

Thanks @JOG btw are you driving the 84ps fully loaded?
Mph ... don't need it tbh, just not a snail!
No, I changed up to a California 150 DSG from a California 140 Manual as it is our everyday family car and has to pull a twin-axle caravan.

If you are planning on keeping it for the long term, the age doesn't really come into the equation.

I'd stick with the van you know. After all, it's got more power, has the chassis that will cope better with the load and has the added bonus of an extra 400mm.
Spot on! Very valid point! The OP knows/trusts what he has already and can fit it out to his specific wishes (taking ideas from kitted out vans!)

Thanks @dubber36 Really is a tough one for me. I hope to keep it for at least 5 years min. I have only done 37k miles from new and always serviced. Cheers

No, I changed up to a California 150 DSG from a California 140 Manual as it is our everyday family car and has to pull a twin-axle caravan.
Wow that is a big van. The 150ps power I love!

So, essentially the van is good for another 200k miles?!!! Better the devil you know....!
I know what you're saying. It feels like it is the safe bet. Cheers again.

You could spend some of that 16K on a new fit out of a perfectly good van that you already own and know the history of....

Stick or Twist... Makes sense to stick in this case... ;)

Last edited:
You have a much sought after van that’s an ideal candidate for converting. Or, you could buy less van with a conversion you like. Sounds to me like you would still be quids in with budget to spare and have the conversion you really want!!! Such a dilemma!!!

You could spend some of that 16K on a new outfit of a perfectly good van that you already own and know the history of....

Stick or Twist... Makes sense to stick in this case... ;)
What he said!!!

I don't want to start another 'which engine is best' argument but my view is that although a lot of people who have 84 (or 102) engines will be quick to tell you that the are well up to the job, most of those with a 150 or above will tell you that they would not want to to go lower. As others here on T6F have said, you never hear anybody saying 'I wish I had less power'. In summary, if the current van is in good nick, well maintained and you are happy to keep it......

The new van is likely to be a startling if 84ps - no aircon etc? I’d keep your current one and spend the money on a conversion. You know the history of yours

The new van is likely to be a startling if 84ps - no aircon etc?
I suspect the new van will be a Startline and far from 'startling' (sorry, couldn't resist that and no disrespect to any 84PS startling Startline owners!)

I suspect the new van will be a Startline and far from 'startling' (sorry, couldn't resist that and no disrespect to any 84PS startling Startline owners!)
Seeing as you've started, I was going to say 84PS might be OK but it'll never be startling.

Back