Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

Hey all. Been fallowing this thread for a couple of weeks.

We had our top come up on the motorway is south France a few weeks back, luckily I always have a load strap in the van and threw it over the roof at the front with the doors open, then shut doors on strap, worked fine except at speed the strap vibrated and made an awful noise. Stopped at a diy shop and put some pipe lagging over strap and we had 800 "joyful" miles getting home.

I was very angry at the time and for days afterwards. It annoys me that this is a thing that happens and there's been no recall from skyline.

Anyway, I went to my fitters armed with everything I've learned on this thread and presented my van to them. Before I'd said more than "it's come open" they'd said how they hate them and no longer fit them where possible. I was very surprised when they just said they'd sort it and get the new cams and bars fitted no questions. A few days later I dropped it to them (Newport, South Wales) and they drove it to skyline in Weston' and got it all done. When I picked it up my fitter even gave me some petrol money for driving it there!

I cannot believe how good an experience that getting this sorted was and feel for those that have had less so, props to my fitter.

I've now driven it over 100 miles with around 80% of that on motorways at speeds more like that of a french motorway (just to check roof ) and happy to report no problems. I will though be looking to get an internal strap fitted because the price will be worth it for peace of mind.

Thanks to everyone for the information on this thread and hope my feedback helps or informs in some way. If not sorry that you've read all this!!

Happy camping

Hey all. Been fallowing this thread for a couple of weeks.

We had our top come up on the motorway is south France a few weeks back, luckily I always have a load strap in the van and threw it over the roof at the front with the doors open, then shut doors on strap, worked fine except at speed the strap vibrated and made an awful noise. Stopped at a diy shop and put some pipe lagging over strap and we had 800 "joyful" miles getting home.

I was very angry at the time and for days afterwards. It annoys me that this is a thing that happens and there's been no recall from skyline.

Anyway, I went to my fitters armed with everything I've learned on this thread and presented my van to them. Before I'd said more than "it's come open" they'd said how they hate them and no longer fit them where possible. I was very surprised when they just said they'd sort it and get the new cams and bars fitted no questions. A few days later I dropped it to them (Newport, South Wales) and they drove it to skyline in Weston' and got it all done. When I picked it up my fitter even gave me some petrol money for driving it there!

I cannot believe how good an experience that getting this sorted was and feel for those that have had less so, props to my fitter.

I've now driven it over 100 miles with around 80% of that on motorways at speeds more like that of a french motorway (just to check roof ) and happy to report no problems. I will though be looking to get an internal strap fitted because the price will be worth it for peace of mind.

Thanks to everyone for the information on this thread and hope my feedback helps or informs in some way. If not sorry that you've read all this!!

Happy camping
Who installed the roof? Sounds like they need a shout out.

Just wanted to post hear as I popped into skyline hq today to have a insolation inspected which was done by CJL as it was starting to creak a bit and they were great they identified the the insolation wasn't done correctly and it was unsafe and incised that they correct all the faults and two hours later I drove away with a safe pop top and they done all this work free of charge so if you are in there area and have any concerns I recommend popping into see them I did ring first just to check it was ok I might have just been lucky but feel alot safer now
Cheers paint

View attachment 175092

View attachment 175093

View attachment 175094

View attachment 175095

One more photo

View attachment 175096
Did it solve the creaking issue? Mine creaks like mad!

Mine did at first. Doesn’t at all now. I think it might have been solved by some silicon spray lubricant wiped on the rubber seals with a microfibre. Worth a shot.

Mine did at first. Doesn’t at all now. I think it might have been solved by some silicon spray lubricant wiped on the rubber seals with a microfibre. Worth a shot.
I feel like my creaking is getting worse. I lifted the roof and drove slowly around a car park and it still creaks so I don’t think it’s the rubber on the paint. I think it’s the frame moving inside the van. I’m taking it back to the installer soon for an inspection.

I feel like my creaking is getting worse. I lifted the roof and drove slowly around a car park and it still creaks so I don’t think it’s the rubber on the paint. I think it’s the frame moving inside the van. I’m taking it back to the installer soon for an inspection.
Yea, I definitely suspected that when mine was creaking a lot. Doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore.

Is yours newly fitted?

Yea, I definitely suspected that when mine was creaking a lot. Doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore.

Is yours newly fitted?
Oh really!! That’s promising! Mine was fitted last December so not quite a year old. I noticed it straight away but it seems like it’s gotten worse. How long did yours take to get better?

Oh really!! That’s promising! Mine was fitted last December so not quite a year old. I noticed it straight away but it seems like it’s gotten worse. How long did yours take to get better?
I’ve had mine since summer 2021. Creaking bothered me a lot at one point. I can’t quite recall when. I’m quite fussy about noise. I tackle any rattles, creaks, tapping sounds, etc in my van. I feel like it’s pretty quiet now. Approaching normal VW car quite - which I think is good for a camper full of sh*t.

When did it stop? I’m not too sure.

I’d say if it’s been a year, investigate. Even for peace of mind.

Its still creaks a bit depending on the undulation of the road but I know it is safe as have a lot of work stuff in the van that makes noise so doesn’t bother me
Cheers paint

Another one to add to the list. Came up a few times on a recent trip.

Some things to note.

When it was happening I could pop off the roof from the cam with my hand fairly easily. Slightly more pressure than I normally use to check it but not much at all.

Popping the top fully and actively trying to push the roof back a bit whilst dropping it seemed to make it engage a bit better. I'm not sure if there is some play in the roof that makes it more likely. One side was fine one was not. It seemed to have more play in the cam on the one that was worse.

The channel for drainage seems to be a way for a fair bit of air to get in so as a temporary measure we taped up this gap and secured the handle inside.

Phoned skyline this morning and booked in for Friday morning to have the locks updated and all checked.

Nasty experience but hopefully sorted soon.

LWB T6 fitted by Skyline themselves originally in 2021.

Saw another one of these coming the other way down the M50 towards Monmouth just over a week ago .
A red t6 with one side of the roof clearly not fixed down twisting the roof badly on the other corner. Looked really bad o_O

Saw another one of these coming the other way down the M50 towards Monmouth just over a week ago .
A red t6 with one side of the roof clearly not fixed down twisting the roof badly on the other corner. Looked really bad o_O
Don't think it was me but I have a red T6 and did that journey a few weeks back. Once it's sorted I'll be happy. It's a great system in terms of usability and the quality of the canvas is much better than others I've seen. Such a shame it hasn't been proactively sorted.

Another one to add to the list. Came up a few times on a recent trip.

Some things to note.

When it was happening I could pop off the roof from the cam with my hand fairly easily. Slightly more pressure than I normally use to check it but not much at all.

Popping the top fully and actively trying to push the roof back a bit whilst dropping it seemed to make it engage a bit better. I'm not sure if there is some play in the roof that makes it more likely. One side was fine one was not. It seemed to have more play in the cam on the one that was worse.

The channel for drainage seems to be a way for a fair bit of air to get in so as a temporary measure we taped up this gap and secured the handle inside.

Phoned skyline this morning and booked in for Friday morning to have the locks updated and all checked.

Nasty experience but hopefully sorted soon.

LWB T6 fitted by Skyline themselves originally in 2021.
1000064541.jpg

This the the gap I mean.

Reactions: CAB
FYI I had the cams changed and it's all sorted now. I'd say if you have one of these pop tops it might be worth checking the movement of the pop top when locked and seeing if they can update them preventatively if required.

They lock design hasn't changed massively on my roof, the arms seem to be a bit longer but also the bar that it locks into has been upgraded and is much more rigid.

I turned up at 7am and was out of there by 9am.

FYI I had the cams changed and it's all sorted now. I'd say if you have one of these pop tops it might be worth checking the movement of the pop top when locked and seeing if they can update them preventatively if required.

They lock design hasn't changed massively on my roof, the arms seem to be a bit longer but also the bar that it locks into has been upgraded and is much more rigid.

I turned up at 7am and was out of there by 9am.
Im glad to hear that you got it sorted. It is a bit concerning that this could happen. I’m considering adding some straps to the inside as a back up.

On a side note does your roof creak at all when driving? Mine does and I was told my the converter that it’s common on the lwb vans.

Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: Bav
Im glad to hear that you got it sorted. It is a bit concerning that this could happen. I’m considering adding some straps to the inside as a back up.

On a side note does your roof creak at all when driving? Mine does and I was told my the converter that it’s common on the lwb vans.

Thanks
A little but then there's lots of squeaks etc in the van. I'll try and take note next time I'm out.

Thanks
Not much creaking that I can tell is coming from the roof when in the cab. Not been in the back with it driving but nothing noticeable over other noises in the van.

Back