Sliding-door table rubbing on wheel arch

Unimog

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have replaced the sliding door card with a table but I find when the door is fully open, it rubs agains the wheel arch, which incidentally has the Vw wheel arch cover fitted. The door clears the arch until the middle hinge locks the door back as it pulls the door towards the van. If I pull lightly at the rear of the door it moves away from the arch. The middle hinge is spring loaded to push the door away from the body when opened, but is not under tension when the door is in the Fully open position. Is this normal, or has the spring become weak with use? If

E69E4B64-323A-453A-8D50-39DFFFBD79E5.jpeg

Mine is almost rubbing the door without the plastic arch trim so you may have to remove the plastic trim.
It is possible to adjust the door. Search ‘sliding door adjustment’ on the Forum and you’ll find it’s a common issue.
The standard fir tree clips won’t be up to securing the door card with the added weight of the table. When the door is slammed the clips will release slightly and the card will come away from the door a few mm allowing the table to rub the bodywork.
I added self adhesive HD velcro, gluing one side to the ply board as the self adhesive glue doesn‘t last on wood. No longer an issue.

Hi,

My shuttle door trim is rubbing the wheel arch, and has worn away some paint off the lower sill where the door closes.

I know you can adust the door, but when the door is open it is not touching the wheel arch, I have watched it whilst opening and it doesnt touch. It was checked by VW who said there was no fault as it wasnt touching the wheel arch (although you can see where it has happened and where the rubbing happens inside).

The door opens and closes normally and looks in alignment.

I am wondering if it is the middle hinge needing replacing, but I am definitely not skilled enough to do this. Can anyone reccomend anyone near Exeter who can do this please (unless anyone thinks it may be something different!)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

20230315_194548.jpg

20230401_151346.jpg

I have replaced the sliding door card with a table but I find when the door is fully open, it rubs agains the wheel arch, which incidentally has the Vw wheel arch cover fitted. The door clears the arch until the middle hinge locks the door back as it pulls the door towards the van. If I pull lightly at the rear of the door it moves away from the arch. The middle hinge is spring loaded to push the door away from the body when opened, but is not under tension when the door is in the Fully open position. Is this normal, or has the spring become weak with use? If

View attachment 125061
I’m having this exact problem, did you manage to find a solution?

I had a similar problem when I fitted the sliding door storage panel.
I checked how close it was to the rear arch when opened after being asked how much clearance there was.
The material I had trimmed the panel in was just touching the arch.
I solved this by putting 2 self tapers in the middle of the panel with plastic caps on them.
This pulled the door panel in and away from the arch when opened.
I’m not sure if this is possible with your table set up.
Push the table back and slide the door open to see the clearance when you’re pushing the table in.
Would tell you if a couple screws behind the table would work.

I have just noticed after fitting Dodo sound deading and thermal liner, with 30mm fleece on top and middle of sliding door. I left the bottom without fleece.

The Loc8 table fits ok with fasteners.

I have just noticed it slightly grazes alloy wheel and sits on tyre wall.

Before I fitted insulation I can't recall it rubbing. I like this table yet the rubbing concerns me.
In one of the photos I use a finger to pull the door away. It doesn't need much of a pull.

T30 with air suspension and 20" alloys

20240707_113511.jpg

20240707_120031.jpg

20240707_120048.jpg

Last edited:
Adding insulation & the Loc8 table to the side door can cause the door to sag under the additional weight. There’s adjustment on the door running gear, you might be able to dial it out.

Adding insulation & the Loc8 table to the side door can cause the door to sag under the additional weight. There’s adjustment on the door running gear, you might be able to dial it out.

Thank you for your response. I do not fully understand what you mean by this? please can you explain some more?

HESS do an extended bracket, but it is mega expensive at about £430 after converting from Swiss Francs.

Yeah, that might be it. I'm also parked on a gradient. Might be ok on level ground

IMG_6971.jpegIMG_6972.jpegYeah, that might be it. I'm also parked on a gradient. Might be ok on level ground
This is mine, I have around 10mm between the table & wheel arch. The table storage door card is carpet lined on mine.
The adjustment is on the middle runner.

PS Dunno why it's posted the photos in the quoted post

This is mine, I have around 10mm between the table & wheel arch. The table storage door card is carpet lined on mine.
The adjustment is on the middle runner.

PS Dunno why it's posted the photos in the quoted post
Mine is rubbing on tyre. Not the wheel arch. As you can see in the photos.
Air suspension, 275 on rear, 35 offset. Depending if I am parked on level ground.

If I can asjust the sliding door to relieve any anxiety when opening the door would be great.

Mine is rubbing on tyre. Not the wheel arch. As you can see in the photos.
Air suspension, 275 on rear, 35 offset. Depending if I am parked on level ground.

If I can asjust the sliding door to relieve any anxiety when opening the door would be great.
You can try adjusting the door, but I think the extreme tyre setup is the issue tbh. You might have to compromise one way or the other.

Back