Small Drive-Away Awning suggestions

Chris1983

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello all,

What’s the current wisdom on small drive away awnings?

Lots of folks seem to cite outdoor revolution as a brand.

Currently have a decathlon air tube thing but requires throwing guys over van and interferes with solar panels, so looking at cleaner solution. This also takes up a helleva space in van.

Looking of course for the ideal, pack small, budget friendly, connect yo side of van via a rail bridge presumably?
Have a fiama f45s, would it be better to consider sides/ front? of course that isn’t drive away?!

Thanks in advance for any wise noise.

Very new to this space so can't claim to have any valid experience, let alone wisdom ;) but FWIW, we picked up a Vango Kilda from Go Outdoors in Warrington recently with 30% off because they're clearing out their stock ready for remodelling (sometime in June perhaps?) There's currently 15% off via the website anyway, which comes in at under £450, which seems quite competitive. Drive away kit not included (which seems strange for a "drive away" awning to me).

We've used it a couple of times so far and are very satisfied with it. We haven't managed to get it looking as neat as the website photos, but it's not too shabby. We did manage to get the (claimed 8 minutes) set up time down to under an hour by the second use!

Vango Kilda.jpg

If anyone knows how the "double action pump" works to deflate the airbeams, I'd love to know! Meanwhile, Mrs.Gumy will continue to sit on the awning while I fold it up :whistle:

Cheers!

Will have a look. Did you presumably wander in to get the extra discount? I’m not far from Warrington so can do that.

What does the drive away kit look like? Is that a strip of material and some plastic bits to slide into rail?

@Gum if its a vango hand pump they usually have inflate on one side and deflate on the other don't put put the pressure gauge on to deflate

Yes, we happened to go into the Warrington store by chance. Worth checking if they are still open / still doing 30% off / have it in stock before going though!
The drive away kit is as you describe, I bought it from Amazon here
BTW, the king poles shown in my photo for the front canopy extension didn't come with it either :rolleyes: Available from GoOutdoors also.

FYI, if you have any club memberships (Caravan Club, YHA etc.) you can get additional discounts at GoOutdoors - they don't always advertise the fact.

@Gum if its a vango hand pump they usually have inflate on one side and deflate on the other don't put put the pressure gauge on to deflate
My pressure gauge doesn't appear to be detachable. Thinking I may have been fobbed off with a non-dual action, despite the description on the GoOutdoors website :(

My pressure gauge doesn't appear to be detachable. Thinking I may have been fobbed off with a non-dual action, despite the description on the GoOutdoors website :(
daul action means it inflates on the upward and downward stroke

In our 10 plus years of using air tents and awnings we have never used a pump to suck air from the tubes. We have always managed to get them back in their respective bags without the need. We haven't had a single punctured air tube in all that time.
We use the 'roll all over it and look a fool' approach. It works!
Would sucking the air out completely distort the tube in some way and cause splits?
I don't want to find out!
You'll need the length of your attachment rail in kador strip (possibly a dual 4/6mm one for all eventualities) and the same length in figure 8 connectors. Both easy to cut down to size.
The more you do it, the easier it gets! We set ours up in front of an audience of forum members last weekend (nerve wracking), and pleased to say we did the job quite efficiently and without falling out!
Yes, it was us next to Clives transit, how nice in the morning to be looking at that through the kitchen window!

20240525_124122.jpg

Last edited:
When we had an air tent with double action pump it was inflating on the up and down action - do deflate. It was a case of rolling on top of it to get the air out - make sure the air beams are facing outwards when rolling it up.

post a picture of the top of the handel of the pump
IMG_20240530_195432978_MP.jpg

IMG_20240530_195334645.jpg

GoOutdoors blurb: "Supplied with Double Action Pump"

Seemingly the same pump on Vango website: "Single Action Inflation".

GoOutdoors also says the supplied pegs (as seen in my photo) ..."can be used on more challenging terrain". Errr.....nope :oops:

We use the 'roll all over it and look a fool' approach. It works!
We have always managed to get them back in their respective bags

To be fair, after our first fumbling attempts in front of an appreciative on-site audience, then a practice session at home (should have done the other way round), our second public effort was pretty succesful and it all packed away quite easily. I was really just curious to know if our pump does deflate as well, and if it might be easier (if less entertaining) than Mrs.G rolling around looking a fool :D

In our 10 plus years of using air tents and awnings we have never used a pump to suck air from the tubes. We have always managed to get them back in their respective bags without the need. We haven't had a single punctured air tube in all that time.
Not had awnings but we've had 2 Lazyspa inflatable hot tubs for the same time. The first eventually died because I couldn't keep up with the air leaks. I don't say punctures because I never got one through the bottom or during the season it was always while it was stored.

Reading around folks found that using the pump to deflate method caused some really tight creases in odd places which when put away for 6 months caused weak points.

Since then I've left the hull inflated but with some ballast water in over winter and it's been 4 years since I had an air leak...

I can see using a pump to get it really small to pack, but if you are storing and have space maybe a little air in the tubes may help protect them.

Not had awnings but we've had 2 Lazyspa inflatable hot tubs for the same time. The first eventually died because I couldn't keep up with the air leaks. I don't say punctures because I never got one through the bottom or during the season it was always while it was stored.

Reading around folks found that using the pump to deflate method caused some really tight creases in odd places which when put away for 6 months caused weak points.

Since then I've left the hull inflated but with some ballast water in over winter and it's been 4 years since I had an air leak...

I can see using a pump to get it really small to pack, but if you are storing and have space maybe a little air in the tubes may help protect them.
We started with a Lazy spa, but I couldn't stand the electricity bill! We've had 2 real HT's since which are better at keeping the heat in, only £100 a month in Octopus vouchers. With the awning, we will keep rolling on it until we are old enough to get a Crafteresque wagon!

Last edited:
We started with a Lazy spa, but I couldn't stand the electricity bill! We've had 2 real HT's since which are better at keeping the heat in, only £100 a month in Octopus vouchers a month. With the awning, we will keep rolling on it until we are old enough to get a Crafteresque wagon!
We only use it at the weekend so it's about £5 a day, having two layers of foam tiles under and a thermal cover has made a huge difference, plus we only run it summer months.

We only use it at the weekend so it's about £5 a day, having two layers of foam tiles under and a thermal cover has made a huge difference, plus we only run it summer months.
That's not so bad, but I do prefer ours when it's cold outside, especially watching the expense of other folks fireworks, and the only time I'll indulge in a chilled red wine! Well it is by the time it's sat outside for half an hour!

Back