Split Charge Woes...

fromt22t6

My current set-up was running really well i think with no issues until VW replaced the starter battery as it was one of the faulty ones.

Since then I've only used the van a few times but have noticed the split charge isnt really behaving.

Issues: the CBE PC100 control unit senses the starter battery as being flat (redlight) despite my tracker app and a multi meter suggesting its 100% fine.
When driving, the green "G" light on the pc100 comes on fine, suggesting the alternator is charging the leisure battery (as it shoudl), however the CTek 250 SE i have for battery to battery and solar charge will not detect anything from the alternator - no matter what i do the green "A" light on the 250SE wont come on.

I now have a flat leisure battery and no split charge working - can this be related in any way to the change of starter battery, or just a coincidence?

Where do I start?

Is the switched ignition feed to the CTEK still attached?

The alternator does not charge the leisure battery, the CTEK does?

Charge the leisure battery and see what fault lights are showing.

Ad mibi check the fuse on the positive cable from your starter battery to your ctek , will be next to your starter battery under the bonnet

im currently charging up the leisure battery to see if i can source the fault better.
there is a 40A fuse coming off one of the feeds from the starter battery - i thin k that must be the feed to the CTEK - the fuse is working fine

i cant work this out....

Is the switched ignition feed to the CTEK still attached?

The alternator does not charge the leisure battery, the CTEK does?

Charge the leisure battery and see what fault lights are showing.

when you say fault lights, where would the fault lights be?

im currently charging up the leisure battery to see if i can source the fault better.
there is a 40A fuse coming off one of the feeds from the starter battery - i thin k that must be the feed to the CTEK - the fuse is working fine

i cant work this out....

40 is probably a bit big, 30 will do. There should also be another between the CTEK and the leisure ve+.

40 is probably a bit big, 30 will do. There should also be another between the CTEK and the leisure ve+.

yip. it seems fine too??

SO I've charged up the leisure battery from a mains charger and this is my readings:
Engine off: Starter Battery 12.4V; Leisure Battery 12.7V PC100 reads leisure battery as fully charged, and starter battery as being in the red (flat)

Engine on: Starter battery 14.4V; Leisure Battery 12.7V PC100 reads both batteries as fully charged and the "G" symbol is lit (indicating it thinks the leisure is now being charged from engine.

ON the Ctek dual charger - it has no fault codes, just 2 lights which comes on and off every so often saying the solar is charging the leisure battery - the light for the starter batter never comes on.

i cant find any fuses blown, cant find any wires loose.

Im lost....

With the engine running what voltage reading do you get on the CTEK ‘A’ post and similarly the ‘OUT’ post?
AD882F98-563B-424C-B7D6-D13080883B0D.jpeg

Have you confirmed you have an ignition live connected to the red core coming out the side of the ctek ??

Have you confirmed you have an ignition live connected to the red core coming out the side of the ctek ??

Im not sure to be honest. Starting to wonder if it’s ever worked and it’s just been the solar and hook up keeping it going...

So you don’t have continuity between your starter battery and the CTEK. I guess there is a fuse somewhere that you haven’t found yet.

From earlier statements; is the starter battery actually connected to the CTEK, or is it going direct to the leisure batt. The red cable from the starter batt should go through the bulkhead without passing through anything but a fuse. Can you see anything that looks similar to this (colour and brand can be different)

12v-140amp-durite-0-727-33-voltage-sensitive-relay-276-800x800.jpg

The way it sounds currently is though a solar input is doing the charging. I take it a solar panel is connected? You can always put a known 12v source directly into the CTEK to check output. Can you take a photo of the set up or draw a simple line diagram.

From earlier statements; is the starter battery actually connected to the CTEK, or is it going direct to the leisure batt. The red cable from the starter batt should go through the bulkhead without passing through anything but a fuse. Can you see anything that looks similar to this (colour and brand can be different)

View attachment 61696

The way it sounds currently is though a solar input is doing the charging. I take it a solar panel is connected? You can always put a known 12v source directly into the CTEK to check output. Can you take a photo of the set up or draw a simple line diagram.

IMG_0846.jpg

Standard_D250SA_Charger_Wiring.dsn.jpg

looking at this diagram i found i think the 1a ignition fuse might be a candidate for the trouble? but where the hell would it be?

I've checked the ctek fuses from the starter battery - fine and the starter input into the ctek - fine. I've checked all the fuses in the engine bay - fine

You have two line ins there, are you able to physically both back to source. Can you confirm that you do not have a VSR fitted in the engine bay.

The 1a fuse may be piggy backed off of the fuseboard or could be taken off of the BCM. Following the lines will give an indication.

in the picture you have posted of your CTEK unit there are 2 red cables feeding your input. it looks like they join in the fuse just below the CTEK. There should only be one, which comes from your starter battery. Do you know where the other is coming from?

When you measured voltages, it seems there is nothing coming from the Starter battery (0.7v on pillar A, it should be 12v+). I'm assuming the 12.7v on output is from your solar panel. I would be looking at whether the cable from your starter battery is actually connected all the way through (and why there are two cables). Start by taking the cover off the fuse below the CTEK and see if you have 12v there (on both sides) and work back towards the starter battery. It may also be worth disconnecting the second cable (the one that does not go to the starter battery) if it is easy to do, to rule out whatever that is.

I've checked the ctek fuses from the starter battery - fine and the starter input into the ctek - fine. I've checked all the fuses in the engine bay - fine
The starter input into the CTEK is not fine if you’re only measuring 0.7 volts at post ‘A’ with the engine running.
engine running A post is 0.7v and the out post is 12.7v

Back