Strong smell of fumes

Unique 1

Hi all,

I've had my new T6.1 for a Fortnight and I've noticed that when I drive with the windows down there is a strong smell of fumes.
It's kinda like a cellulose smell.
Now I'm wondering if it's the fact that the Exhaust terminates half way down the length of the underneath instead of going all the way back plus the Converter has vents in the bottom of my cupboards so any expelled Exhaust fumes could be tucked into the van.
It's mainly when I have at least one window open as at first I thought it was coming through the air vents but if I close the window the smell goes.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and whole I'm on I'm getting a " Headlight Management Failure " and the daytime running lights are off and I have headlights.
I keep the lights in Auto mode as It tells you too.

Thanks

Adrian

More than likely a split EGR pipe.

But it's a brand new van with 700 miles on the clock and why does it smell when the widows are open but not when they are closed.
I'm so regretting buying this thing now

I had a similar issue which is logged in this thread:

Hi

I've really bonded with my van and will post some pics soon of the conversion. Right now I'm trying to solve a problem and I'm running out of ideas and things to check and hoping that someone with more Transporter experience than me might spot something I've missed. Here's the situation:

Driven for 3 months without any issue, then drove 200 miles each way to have the bed / seat fitted. I'd just finished the deadening, insulation and lining a few days before the journey. On the way down I could smell exhaust fumes. On the way back it was really strong and made me woozy. Things I've checked:
  • Not the EGR flexi because this is a CAAC engine. I can't see any soot on EGR pipes, there's no hissing when revved, and no smoke.
  • Don't think it's the exhaust manifold - have revved it and felt around - can't detect anything and no soot.
  • Nothing appears to be leaking from the turbo when revved.
  • No apparent leaks from the exhaust system down to rear.
  • Not the cabin filter - I replaced it.
  • Not the AC low on coolant and burning itself up - AC works and fluid level within range.
  • I checked the bungs in the under tray - all present and correct.
  • AC / vents work as normal.
  • No error codes
  • No auxiliary heater - at least it's not on the build sheet and no stickers on the doors.
  • Not DPF regen - been monitoring on Carista.
  • Tailgate seal is old but no holes in it.
Seems to not be an issue at all when driving when the windows are closed, but with them open just a crack, it doesn't take more than a couple of miles' journey before the rear and the cabin smell distinctly of fumes. My current line of thinking is that both me and the better half drive with the windows open a crack by habit - is there a possibility that this behaviour is taking air out of the interior, forcing it to be drawn in through some other route (fume-laden air) that has changed because of the lining / insulation? Or have I missed some other engine-related possibility?

Here's hoping some kind person has been through similar, or others have ideas of things I haven't checked yet.

JULY 2016 EUR5 T6.0 T32 2.0 TDI 140BHP BMT LWB ST-LN Variant: GCAAC320X0

Chris
Turned out to be the fact I’d removed the tailgate seal and not put it back where it was, leaving small gaps. That’s unlikely to be the case with yours but hopefully the thread might give you food for thought?

When they are newish and doing regens they do stink a bit, i find it gets better as time passes, normally coincides with the engine jumbo jet fan running when you turn the ignition off

Well that helps, I drove it up from Shrewsbury with no symptoms but the 2ndxweek it started to smell like Adhesive or Cellulose, It was really strong but only with the windows open.
I've realised the Exhaust is only half it's usual length for a Transporter now and even thought the fumes were being sulked in through the air vents in the bottom of the gas licker and a couple of the storage cupboards that have vents in the floors.
Thanks for your comments, I will keep an eye on it. Don't suppose there's a tell tell sign when they re gen is there.

Cheers

Adrian

Its not always obvious but the engine runs slightly rough/lumpy and tickover increases from around 800 to around 1000 rpm
If you turn of the engine and its doing a regen thats when you hear the engine fan running trying to dissipate some of the extra heat it has generated for the regen

Soz didn't realize it was brand new..

As above, it takes about 4000miles to fully run in the engine and others bit..

It will smell for ages yet. And will feel tight.... The engine will loosen up soon enough.

they changed it in 2017.

they lost the rear box, so the tail pipe end at the rear exel. ( excluding the 204ps biturbo engines )

"Finally resolved > Bulletin from Volkswagen commercial vehicles:

Change of exhaust system on Transporter models
CV0733-17 18 AUG 2017
From week 37 2017 (starting 11 September), all type N1 Transporter vehicles including chassis cabs (but excluding vehicles with the 2.0 BiTDI 204PS engine) will be built with a shorter exhaust system.

The new system reduces weight, and so increases vehicles' payloads by up to 3.5kg. New technical data for affected vehicles will be published on Hub soon.

A similar system has been used before on Volkswagen Group vehicles and is an effective exhaust gas solution. Customers familiar with a longer and more visible exhaust pipe may be surprised or concerned by the new system, but please reassure them that there are no significant differences in its operation."

The thing hanging off the end is just anti static strip, cuts down on dust sticking to your van when you polish it.

20240718_073910.jpg

20240718_073837.jpg

20240718_073729.jpg

Very short.

Maybe they made another change on the T6.1

After the above.

My vans are T6s so can't compare.

Can some T6.1 people drop a few pics for comparison?

Has it got Akrapovic or Milltek written on it? :thumbsup:
Looking at that underside photo and never having seen a brand new Transporter are you sure you removed all the cellophane and polystyrene packing when you got it plus I've got a 2017 T6 that definitely doesn't smell of cellulose if you want to swap and like the smell of fried onions?:thumbsup:

It's a campervan Conversion so it was unwrapped before they converted it lol.
Just never known a smell like it before, I had a Seat Ateca 2ltr Diesel which is basically a VW engine and the re - gen was a pain.
If you didnt let it complete it's re-gen it would inject diesel Fuel into the oil sump for whatever reason but apparently these can do the same.
It kept coming up Reduce Oil Level.
Had to buy a Oil Syringe and syphone a litre of oil from the dip stick pipe so the warning light and message would go off.
I will put up with the s.ell and let you keep the fried Onions m8......

In all seriousness it's more like an onion bhaji smell and when you're hungry makes you want to eat the seat cushions.:geek:
Regarding the diesel being dumped into the sump it's worth bearing in mind the engine oil is being diluted so not safe to simply decant the resultant syrup as eventually the engine will let go as it's not a two stroke.

Back