Swapping Head Units between VW Models

MiddAvon

Hi :
New member so forgive me if this is has been covered.
I have a 2018 T6 which I suspect had an aftermarket head unit fitted by the previous owner as there are x 2 rear speakers - not connected and an aftermarket reversing camera again not connected.

I got the van from a VW main Dealer, I presume the owner removed the aftermarket unit , as the head unit in the van is the basic VW unit.

I also have a 66 plate Polo match that has the same looking head unit , but it has Apple Car play ..

Question: Can these easily be swapped from the Polo to the T6 without any major complications ?

Are they physically not connected or are you assuming they are not connected as they are not working?

If they are physically connected another possibility is that the previous owner added them and coded the VW head unit to enable them. The main dealer may have updated the van electronics which will reset any configuration to the state it left the factory and likely removed any after market coding.

I'm aware this is a possibility for adding rear speakers, I'm less sure about cameras but @Absolut5 or @Dav-Tec may be able to advise.

Hi :
New member so forgive me if this is has been covered.
I have a 2018 T6 which I suspect had an aftermarket head unit fitted by the previous owner as there are x 2 rear speakers - not connected and an aftermarket reversing camera again not connected.

I got the van from a VW main Dealer, I presume the owner removed the aftermarket unit , as the head unit in the van is the basic VW unit.

I also have a 66 plate Polo match that has the same looking head unit , but it has Apple Car play ..

Question: Can these easily be swapped from the Polo to the T6 without any major complications ?
If it had a aftermarket unit before you had it, then it’s possible for the rear speakers to be added easily , if it’s the basic unit with 3 buttons down both side then it’s quite expensive to get the camera to work,

To swap over from the polo, connecting is not a issue but your Polo radio is vin locked to the vehicle so would need coded

Are they physically not connected or are you assuming they are not connected as they are not working?

If they are physically connected another possibility is that the previous owner added them and coded the VW head unit to enable them. The main dealer may have updated the van electronics which will reset any configuration to the state it left the factory and likely removed any after market coding.

I'm aware this is a possibility for adding rear speakers, I'm less sure about cameras but @Absolut5 or @Dav-Tec may be able to advise.
Thanks for your response - yes they are in both vehicles , looks like your recommend has made the decision for me below. Have to stick with what i have or go for aftermarket .. thanks

If it had a aftermarket unit before you had it, then it’s possible for the rear speakers to be added easily , if it’s the basic unit with 3 buttons down both side then it’s quite expensive to get the camera to work,

To swap over from the polo, connecting is not a issue but your Polo radio is vin locked to the vehicle so would need coded
Thanks , thought as much , but was hoping it could have been a straightforward swap … looks like will have to go down the aftermarket route …

Back