T6.1 THQ Headlights + HID Flicker on startup

dj_

Australian Member
T6 Pro
I've got the THQ Headlights for my T6.1 installed about a year now with the HID kit recommended by @dubber36 from xenonbulbs.co.uk

The quality of the light is fantastic. The H7 LED bulbs from THQ had a horrible beam pattern and these are SO much better.

My only thing is that whenever I start up the van (also when I have the stop/start feature enabled while in the city), the lights do a quick flicker before staying on. Like 1 second only, nothing too scary.

From what I gather here that doesn't happen to others.

I kinda just lived with it but one of the bulbs didn't start up a couple of times this year. Turned the van off and on again and it started up fine.

So now I'm worried maybe something isn't right. I want something that's super reliable sometimes especially when I do decent drives out for work.

Is it okay that happens? Is there something wrong with my kit?

Interesting...

Got some.pics of the wire layout for them?

I take it they need a new power feed from the battery? (Sorry have checked yet) .. or do they just use the OEM light feeds.

Interesting...

Got some.pics of the wire layout for them?

I take it they need a new power feed from the battery? (Sorry have checked yet) .. or do they just use the OEM light feeds.

Hello! I'm not an expert with electrics but I hope this helps.

The THQ T6.1 headlight assembly plugs into the same loom as the original cables of the van. Then instead of plugging in the THQ H7 bulbs (such a terrible beam pattern even after I adjusted and rotated many times), I opted for the HID kit from the link above.

The kit came with the bulbs/globes and a thing that's got 2 boxes, 1 small and 1 big. One is the ballast I'm not sure what the smaller thing is.
*EDIT - I think one of the boxes is a CANBUS error thing*

I've tried re-attaching the kit as I thought maybe it's loose or something but it still flickers.

Do you think I'm supposed to use the 55w HID kit instead of 35w?

Last edited:
Hmm. All looks ok.
So the lights stay on during the stop/start?.. but flicker?

Or to they go off during stop/start. And flicker on restart?

Hmm. All looks ok.
So the lights stay on during the stop/start?.. but flicker?

Or to they go off during stop/start. And flicker on restart?
I've got the van's lights on AUTO so when I turn the ignition to ON the HID's switch on

When I turn the key to start the van, the HID's briefly flicker while the engine is "turning" or starting, and once the van is running they stay on.

While in the city, they stay on when the van shuts off because of the STOP/START feature, but when the van starts up they briefly flicker just like above, and they stay on.

I thought this was normal for any light, like halogens briefly dim or flicker when starting a vehicle.

But others here in the forum are saying that doesn't happen to them with their HIDs (same kit) so now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with mine :)

that looks like volt drop when the starter motor kicks in?

dropping the power so the lights dont have enough. . .

any idea what your battery health is like?

good battery? - under 5 years old?

its possible a low starter battery may cause that.. . .

+++++++++

have a look at fitting a battery monitor, maybe a BM2?

maybe also send that vis to the seller / manufacture and ask them.

but seeing as there are two seperate units, left and right.

the common thing seems to be the van.

FWIW - i have OEM LED on the van - dont flicker.

and THQ v3 on the bus - with THQ LED bulbs - dont flicker.

+++++++++

It's about 3 years old now! Maybe it's the battery - thank you for sending the link about battery health! I'll have a read and learn about it and hopefully have something to report back.

The van is due for a service in 3 weeks so I can also have them check it!

I had the THQ LED bulbs before but I found the beam pattern to be quite terrible! I tried rotating it many times but it just felt very patchy with a dark spot somewhere.

I don't remember paying attention to the flicker though, maybe I can try switching them over to the THQ LED bulbs when I've got the time.

So I take it that this isn't normal or ideal behaviour even with HIDs? Hopefully it's just a weak or old battery.

Thanks so much!

cant say for those specific xenons as i dont have them,

you will need to find someone on here that has the same setup and ask them.

but . . .

from looking at that video, it looks like the power to the lamps is staying on, so maybe its a volt drop issue,

the only other thing im thinking is that its the old "X-Relief" thing. . . .

where the van drops power from certain circuits to give the starter motor the most power.

ill have to try with my van and see what happens at startup.

I had the exact kit in mine and they didn't flicker at all.

+++++++++

I found the BM2 in Australia! Placing an order now :)

With any form of discharge lighting the life of the lamp is largely determined by the number of striking cycles at startup, not by time on, so it's something that is not ideal if you are frequently reatarting the lamp.

Reactions: dj_
Hi @Dellmassive I got my battery monitor today and tried it out!

It looks like a low cranking voltage below :) Does that sound like something that would make the lights flicker?

IMG_0169.PNG

I do notice my interior lights flicker when I start the engine up, I assumed this to be due to the large draw from the starter, what are your interior lights like?

Post a screen shot after a few days to get a general battery trend..

Back