T6.1 Window Motor Replacement

Mr.Blue

VIP Member
I have replaced the passenger window motor in my T6.1 as the old one stopped working. However, now that I have replaced it, the window works from the window switch in the passenger door, but not from the switch in the drivers door. The mirror also does not work. Does the new motor need coding or is it just faulty?

Thanks

I have replaced the passenger window motor in my T6.1 as the old one stopped working. However, now that I have replaced it, the window works from the window switch in the passenger door, but not from the switch in the drivers door. The mirror also does not work. Does the new motor need coding or is it just faulty?

Thanks
I wouldn't think a window motor assembly would need coding, as the motor obviously works ... on one switch ... I would be tempted to look at 1) output from the drivers door and mirror switch, its connector and its wiring, from door to A pillar for failure from flexing, 2) the plug connector/s on the new mechanism and mirror, or, 3) the flexible bit of wiring that jumps from A pillar to the passenger door, I don't know whether door window and mirror switch 'commands' go through vehicle BCM, maybe someone has experience of your double failure and can comment. Good luck, let us all know what the culprit is when you find it. .. Just thought, there must be a fuse lurking somewhere ..

Last edited:
I wouldn't think a window motor assembly would need coding, as the motor obviously works ... on one switch ... I would be tempted to look at 1) output from the drivers door and mirror switch, its connector and its wiring, from door to A pillar for failure from flexing, 2) the plug connector/s on the new mechanism and mirror, or, 3) the flexible bit of wiring that jumps from A pillar to the passenger door, I don't know whether door window and mirror switch 'commands' go through vehicle BCM, maybe someone has experience of your double failure and can comment. Good luck, let us all know what the culprit is when you find it. .. Just thought, there must be a fuse lurking somewhere ..
Thanks @Robin H , I have looked into it further. I have checked the switch mechanism for the passenger window on the drivers door. This is connected to the motor on the drivers door, then looks like its connected through the bus onto the passenger door. The switch works and I can see the signal at the drivers door. What I cannot see is the signal at the passenger door. So I have checked the following:

1. The switch mechanism is confirmed as working
2. The issue is not the motor as I have proven this by swapping the motors and the issue stays with the passenger side.
3. I have checked all the fuses that I think it can be These are all in Holder C under the steering column and are fuses 26, 27, 40, 54 and 60. All are fine.
4. I have unplugged all connectors on the passenger door, including those that go from the A-Pillar to the the passenger door. Also checked for loose connections and all seems fine.

So I am left with the following issues:
1. The controls on the drivers door not opening or closing the passenger window
2. The controls on the drivers door not moving or folding the passenger mirror
3. Unable to set the passenger window to one touch open/close from the window control on the passenger door

I agree with you that I would be surprised if a window motor would need coding. I have looked at the VCDS codes and the only one that I can see that might be applicable is under Section 09 - Central Electrics, 03-4 is "Comfort Function for Power Windows via Drivers Interior Switch active". However, the comfort function works on the drivers side and I cannot see how replacing the window motor would reset this code. I am at a bit of a loss and don't know where to go from here!

Thanks @Robin H , I have looked into it further. I have checked the switch mechanism for the passenger window on the drivers door. This is connected to the motor on the drivers door, then looks like its connectedmk through the bus onto the passenger door. The switch works and I can see the signal at the drivers door. What I cannot see is the signal at the passenger door. So I have checked the following:

1. The switch mechanism is confirmed as working
2. The issue is not the motor as I have proven this by swapping the motors and the issue stays with the passenger side.
3. I have checked all the fuses that I think it can be These are all in Holder C under the steering column and are fuses 26, 27, 40, 54 and 60. All are fine.
4. I have unplugged all connectors on the passenger door, including those that go from the A-Pillar to the the passenger door. Also checked for loose connections and all seems fine.

So I am left with the following issues:
1. The controls on the drivers door not opening or closing the passenger window
2. The controls on the drivers door not moving or folding the passenger mirror
3. Unable to set the passenger window to one touch open/close from the window control on the passenger door

I agree with you that I would be surprised if a window motor would need coding. I have looked at the VCDS codes and the only one that I can see that might be applicable is under Section 09 - Central Electrics, 03-4 is "Comfort Function for Power Windows via Drivers Interior Switch active". However, the comfort function works on the drivers side and I cannot see how replacing the window motor would reset this code. I am at a bit of a loss and don't know where to go from here!
I guess without a mechanical or simple electrical fault coming to the fore, you're into VCDS to determine what's happening, and possibly turning attention to the body control module ? This is beyond my knowledge. A diagnostic scan by your nearest VW van centre may be the quickest way forward. Keep everyone posted its not a rare malady with these vans ..

Back