T6 alternator output v max size DC-DC charger

PB-T6

Hi
I have a Roamer 230 LiFe Pro battery, just starting to get accompanying components sized right.
My 2018 T6 150 DSG hi line what capacity is my alternator, what is most likely to be? where would I look
would a 90Amp DC-DC charger overload the alternator?
many thanks
Paul

I’m definitely no expert but you might also have to wonder whether 90 amp charging rate is too much for the leisure battery to cope with?

I have the factory uprated 180A alternator.. as I had the factory leisure battery.

I run a Roamer 230sb.

And a 50A Renogy DC-DC.

Not sure on the standard alternator size ATM.

Normal maximum recommended charge for a Lifepo4 is C/3 where C = capacity. So in this case max charge would be 230/3=76A. The problem with Lithium is that it will take any charge you throw at it, so if you put a 90A charger on it, it’ll take the full 90A. You also have to consider the cable sizes required and the heat generated by the charger. I’d be fitting a 50A DC~DC and keeping things calm. Does your setup include other means of charging? Solar/mains? If so, the chances of you completely flattening the battery are rare.
All just my 2 penneth & personal opinion.

Just bear in mind that you will need appropriately rated cable to link the starter battery to the DC-DC charger and then to the leisure battery. This cable will have to go through the bulkhead.
Cable rated at 90A will be thick and relatively inflexible.
What is possible theoretically, can be a nightmare to implement practically.

Pete

Standard Alternator is 140A.

uprated and HIGHLINE models get 180A.

1649347132684.png

as per original sales brochure.

1649347177616.png

Attachments

• T6 Brochure Mar 2017.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 34
Guys - great information
very helpful
i can see now that a 90Amp DC-DC charger is too large, its Not the battery that is the concern but the thickness and routing of appropriate cables through bulkhead.

Hello
I’ve just bought my first transporter a VW TRANSPORTER T6.1 150PS 6 SEAT KOMBI and I’m looking to put a leisure in with an invertor to 240z I have bought a split phase relay but for what I’m seeing I need a dc to dc is this the case??
Thank you in advance

Hello
I’ve just bought my first transporter a VW TRANSPORTER T6.1 150PS 6 SEAT KOMBI and I’m looking to put a leisure in with an invertor to 240z I have bought a split phase relay but for what I’m seeing I need a dc to dc is this the case??
Thank you in advance
Yes see here...

Back