The Grey Sludge Subject.

Ric1962

Retired Firefighter
T6 Pro
Hi all. If you see the attached pics you will see what was lurking inside the oil filler tube, just under the cap.
Not loads of it but it was quite a shock to see!!

Having checked back through the forum for previous posts and info, it would appear that this is normal and nothing to be concerned about.
Vehicle is a T6 T30 2019 150bhp 6 speed manual. Mileage is 15k.

Water level has not dropped, no signs of over heating, temp remains steady, van runs fine.

So just to confirm from the techs on here, this grey gunk is normal?
Cheers.

Rick. 4DEBDEC3-22D0-49B0-88B3-BC1F67F15759.png2808E1F3-4484-4A2D-9442-AC516A6CF15F.png

That looks like a lot.
Do you do a lot of short journeys? That’s the most likely case where people consider it normal.
My 150hp has none of that. My 140hp also had always been clear.
My 204 however was always like that. The vans all have the same life, treatment and journey frequency.
The 204hp needed a new cylinder head at 65k miles.

That looks like a lot.
Do you do a lot of short journeys? That’s the most likely case where people consider it normal.
Hi there, no, hardly any short journeys at all really. If I take it out it is usually for at least a couple of hours run.

Hi there, no, hardly any short journeys at all really. If I take it out it is usually for at least a couple of hours run.
Probably not this, but check the dip stick is in correctly and sealed. I checked the oil level and didnt seat the dip stick right, a week later had some sludge. Felt a right idiot

A long run on a motorway at 70mph with a regen cleared it (oil temeparture above 100 degrees)

I’ve wrapped some double bubble double foil around the filler neck on my van and this last winter I had none of the gunk at all but I don’t use my van on short journeys.

John.

Good tip, cheers John. I dont use mine for short runs either so will look at giving that a go. I received an email back from the workshop dept of the van suppliers saying it was totally normal and caused by "condensation within the engine". Looking further on here it would appear that it is no cause for alarm so to speak.

Next is trying to work out how I can clear the gunk out of the filler neck without dropping anything inside the tube and into the engine itself!!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Can you imagine?!?!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back