Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

Sounds super interesting, will be eagerly waiting to see what you come up with, I’m still trying to find a panel that will fit between my cross rails, if that panel you suggested was 4cm smaller it would have been ideal for me
The 215w would be your biggest option in the Victron panels:

215W-24V Mono 1580x705x35mm series 4b

You could get two more beds in there!
Just to spur you on I've been washing our camper ready for the off and took the opportunity to drain the water tank and top up the battery...
IMG20240605153438.jpg
IMG20240605152409.jpg
Free-ish electric, get even more with the roof up and turned towards the sun.:thumbsup:

263w from 350w of panels? Not too shabby! Actually, can the DCC50S even handle 350w? 350w \ 13.8 is just over 25a so yeah, just!

You could get two more beds in there!
Just to spur you on I've been washing our camper ready for the off and took the opportunity to drain the water tank and top up the battery...
View attachment 244511
View attachment 244512
Free-ish electric, get even more with the roof up and turned towards the sun.:thumbsup:
Nice :cool:

What's the larger junction box(?) right at the back of the pop top? Data antenna?

The larger junction box at the back is the point where the two longer panel leads are paralleled up to drop through the roof and the two shorter panel leads drop through after being extended from the further forward joint box.
Quite why they can't put similar length leads on each panel rather than a short and a long leg each time but due to the incoming voltage limit of the first DCC50S I had to put the panels in parallel the present V3 DCC50S now takes up to 50 vdc in.
It's not the prettiest install but I'm a shorty so can only see it when I'm on my step ladder getting into the cab or cleaning the roof. :confused:
In answer to @TallPaul_S if I'm honest I've never seen above 300 watts from the panels but then popular opinion is that you'll never get anywhere near the claimed output, these are Renogy 175 watt flexible panels and so far so good.
Second edit and the 263 at 13.8v shown on the shunt display going into the battery is the product of ? watts at 21 volts from the solar panel, I can't remember if I put my Fluke clamp meter on the solar isolator in the past but I seem to remember a more modest 13A current produced?

Last edited:
So, how long after 'pre-ordering' with Fogstar do you normally get charged the rest of the amount when it says the battery is due in 1 day?

Just asking for a friend, like... :whistle:

Last edited:
So, how long after 'pre-ordering' with Fogstar do you normally get charged the rest of the amount when it says the battery is due in 1 day?

Just asking for a friend, like... :whistle:
Funnily enough I was just looking at the site myself and wondering the exact same thing, I also found the Fogstar on a few other sites and wondered if they actually hold stock and could have it to me even quicker

Funnily enough I was just looking at the site myself and wondering the exact same thing, I also found the Fogstar on a few other sites and wondered if they actually hold stock and could have it to me even quicker
Tbh finding it in stock anywhere else might be tricky and there's always places who'll say it's in stock then once you order tell you it's on back order.

Most people when ordering direct from Fogstar seem to get them before the date they were given. The 230Ah seat base is showing as stock due in on 30th May so I'm assuming the next batch are due in any day now.

Go big or go home! :cool:

There's a new option coming in the "budget" LiFePO4 battery segment.

Fogstar Drift ECO. 100Ah. Low temp cut off.

Difference from the normal fogstar Drift 105Ah:

No heater
No Bluetooth

£220

J

No heater
No Bluetooth

£220

Just been looking at these - presumably if you have a shunt in the set up, this offsets the lack of BMS?

No heater
No Bluetooth

£220

I’m interested in one of these. They seem to be excellent value. I just need to be sure I can fit it in in place of my AGM. There is also a 305ah at £499.00 coming.

Agreed on value. The 105ah version, plus a Victron 500a shunt for monitoring comes out at around £300. The only thing I’d need to do is to change the ring terminals on my existing connections I think.
Did you mean the 100ah version or have you seen a killer deal on the more expensive 105ah version?

TBF you ideally need a shunt when with the normal version as the battery BMS can't be relied upon for an accurate SOC, especially if you're pulling under 1a at any point. It can quickly get 30 or 40% of of sync.

A Victron shunt will be 100% accurate, all the time.

Back