Touchscreen Replacement for OEM Head Unit Digitiser

Delboy3

VIP Member
I know there is a post somewhere guiding you through the DIY repair of a touchscreen by adding an overlay. However this one provides a screw by screw guide with no missing bits to cause confusion. Literally just finished mine and it was a breeze.

My 2017 highline with the larger multimedia screen has decided to give me some dead spots on the touch screen middle to the right of the screen. Does anyone know of a fix that doesn’t break the bank? I see you can potentially reprogramme it?

Cheers

Callum

Almost certainly failure of the touch sensitive part of the screen. If you search the forum you will find lots of information from DIY replacement to people who will do this for a fee. An example here

you will need a new touch screen fitting
Easy job to do see details of screen below ,also their is a clip on the forum for fitting.
Volkswagen VW T6 Caravelle MIB STD2 PQ touch screen digitizer for lcd display

I did mine yesterday - need a bit of patience, some small Torx screwdrivers oh and the new screen.

Has anyone successfully removed the old digitiser?

It appears mine has partially unbonded itself so a replacement over the top won't really cut it.

Am I opening myself up for all kinds of pain trying to separate the two?

Screenshot_20240602_155035_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested to see what you do and how it turns out!!

I know you can replace the entire LCD unit for a couple hundred quid.

Left the screen in the conservatory. Warmed up nicely. Got a bit of cotton and sliced my way through.

I now need to find a none abrasive cleaner to remove the excess glue.

17173464448511437885841348918993.jpg

IPA would be my first call, though often on adhesive the solvents in WD40 do a good job though you'll need to clean up with IPA. You'll also need to use something you don't mind clogging up with soft adhesive so something disposable. Don't scrub and put scratches in, let the solvents work. I find good quality kitchen roll is the best balance of not falling to bits but not scratching (as I've had blue roll do)

Cheers, I tried wd40 on the digitiser yesterday just to test as it's getting replaced. It definitely helped I also used a very fine razor blade to help lift the residue.

Obviously I won't be using a blade on the screen.

I'll order some IPA and see how I get on.

From videos I watched when attempting this, the new digitizer was positioned directly on-top of the old one without trying to remove the original. Obviously cleaning the surfaces etc (like fitting a mobile phone protector screen)
When re-assembled the new screen functions ok and the image still give clarity through the two layers.

From videos I watched when attempting this, the new digitizer was positioned directly on-top of the old one without trying to remove the original. Obviously cleaning the surfaces etc (like fitting a mobile phone protector screen)
When re-assembled the new screen functions ok and the image still give clarity through the two layers.
I'd seen those too but the digitiser had started to seperate so you'd be able to see this if a new one was just placed over it.

All clean. A friend at a local body shop had some adhesive remover used for cleaning up residue left on bodywork from sign writing and wraps when they had been removed.

Even better, he did it for me .

Ordering a new digitiser now, so I'll report back once all back together.

20240603_164153.jpg

Fitted new digitizer screen on my T6 infotainment system.. well worth the £30.. also installed software for App Connect & CarPlay.. Stock head unit actually performing like it should.. result.

View attachment 244399
Did you follow any online guidance for this? I might need to do the same as either my screen is playing up or the CarPlay software has suddenly gone super weird. Siri keeps activating when I touch the screen to select different apps. Then it’s stuck listening constantly and you can’t do anything until you unplug the phone.

Did you follow any online guidance for this? I might need to do the same as either my screen is playing up or the CarPlay software has suddenly gone super weird. Siri keeps activating when I touch the screen to select different apps. Then it’s stuck listening constantly and you can’t do anything until you unplug the phone.

I had problems with the touch screen.. top right corner was dead.. hence the new digitizer.. followed this video on YouTube to fit it..
App Connect software was purchased via eBay.. so far so good.. cheaper than a new head unit

Digitiser arrived today. Put it all back together and I'm pleased to say it's working as it should.

Now offering digitiser repair service ;)
Looks great!

Could you share a link to the digitizer you purchased? The one I've fitted from eBay (this link) is definitely dimmer, has a metallic sheen and arrived with scratches. The seller has refunded me, but now I need to find a better one.

Cheers.

Looks great!

Could you share a link to the digitizer you purchased? The one I've fitted from eBay (this link) is definitely dimmer, has a metallic sheen and arrived with scratches. The seller has refunded me, but now I need to find a better one.

Cheers.
This is the one I ordered. It took about 4 days to get to me.

Back