Tow bar bike rack for the wider handle bar MB

Markyh

Hi ,
I’m new to VW campers , I pick up my T6.1 next week from Platinum Wave Campers .
There installing a removable tow bar so I’m after a bike rack that will tilt enough to clear the tailgate when bikes are on rack .
The problem in the past with my old motorhome 2 bike rack is the handlebar on nearest to vehicle touched back screen and cracked it .

Now I only have two mountain bikes so a 2 bike rack is enough but do they give enough clearance to the tailgate window when a mountain bike is seated .
There is an option of getting a 3 bike and not using the inner most position but if a 2 bike rack is fine I’d rather pick that lighter cheaper option .

Thanks

I found the inner bike always touched the back of the van, even when it was a kids MTB. I had an old glove specifically to go on the end of the bar (cheap tilting four-bike rack from Halfords). On the new van, we have a tailgate mounted rack, so the bars go over the roof.

If you are twisting the bars regularly it’s worth keeping an eye on the headset as it will gradually work loose. Also, don’t overtighten the stem bolts or you risk stripping the threads and that will always happen just when you are wanting to start the ride! A pre-set 5nm t-handle torque wrench is great for this (and other bike maintenance tasks).

What’s the deal with bike racks that clear the tailgate? It’s like I’m asking for a flying motorcycle —finding a straight answer is impossible! Honestly, it’s baffling that this is even a question. You’d think all tilting bike racks would naturally avoid smacking into the tailgate, but nope, apparently that’s just too much to ask.

If you are twisting the bars regularly it’s worth keeping an eye on the headset as it will gradually work loose. Also, don’t overtighten the stem bolts or you risk stripping the threads and that will always happen just when you are wanting to start the ride! A pre-set 5nm t-handle torque wrench is great for this (and other bike maintenance tasks).
Thanks ,great idea , I’ll make a purchase .

Pre-set t-handle is a great suggestion. Thule use them on their roof bars for good reason!

I’ve got one of those and if I remember correctly there is nowhere to store the bits. Still ok but annoying that with a handle like that they couldn’t design in some storage
True. Some of the more expensive options have storage (e.g. Park Tools iirc). Or you can get mini socket sets (Topeak) with a torque adapter which are great and come in a little pouch - more ££ though.

I've purchased a Thule folding xt2 , from what I've read ill have to cut down the bungs to allow full tilt so tailgate can open, fingers crossed i dont f@6k it up.

I have the atera strada on mine, never had any issue and it tilts easily so you can still get in the back with everything attached. I’ll have to measure my bars though, how wide are yours @Markyh?

What’s the deal with bike racks that clear the tailgate? It’s like I’m asking for a flying motorcycle —finding a straight answer is impossible! Honestly, it’s baffling that this is even a question. You’d think all tilting bike racks would naturally avoid smacking into the tailgate, but nope, apparently that’s just too much to ask.
There are a lot off variables though.
How low is the van, how tall are the bikes, is the slot nearest the van empty...?

I have the Altera Strada DL3 - a three bike rack that tilts far enough to clear the tailgate. However, I only every load 2 bikes and have to leave the nearest slot free for the tailgate to clear (and even then, the tailgate gets unnervingly close).

I tried the DL3 (plus the 4th bike adapter) many years ago and sent it back as no matter what I tried it wouldn’t take 4 bikes properly. They were simply too close to each other and that was in the days before boost hubs, 29ers etc.

I tried the DL3 (plus the 4th bike adapter) many years ago and sent it back as no matter what I tried it wouldn’t take 4 bikes properly. They were simply too close to each other and that was in the days before boost hubs, 29ers etc.
Agreed - I only carry a CX with drop bars and a road with fairly narrow straight bars and even that combo took a whole load of messing about to get them to sit together in adjacent slots.

Back