Tow bar bike rack for the wider handle bar MB

There are a lot off variables though.
How low is the van, how tall are the bikes, is the slot nearest the van empty...?
I get there’s a few variables but as a standard set up without lowering the van etc you’d of thought that as a minimum all bike racks would clear the tailgate .
The height of a bike shouldnt be be a concern if it tilts so the bike height expands horizontal to the van .
And buying a 2 bike rack you would think that it would be fine for 2 bikes not I have two bikes but I’ll have to buy a 3 bike .

Sounds like the Altera is the best option .

Reactions: Bav
@Markyh this is how I transport mine, my bars are 780 so slightly narrower than yours but even on the nearest rack I still have 130mm to the glass and with the addition of the tie strap around the frame by the shock it holds the bike rock solid. I’ve been to Wales, Cornwall etc never had it hit. You could always put it in the second rack to be extra safe, hopefully helps out making a decision IMG_0643.jpegIMG_0641.jpegIMG_0642.jpegIMG_0644.jpeg

@Markyh this is how I transport mine, my bars are 780 so slightly narrower than yours but even on the nearest rack I still have 130mm to the glass and with the addition of the tie strap around the frame by the shock it holds the bike rock solid. I’ve been to Wales, Cornwall etc never had it hit. You could always put it in the second rack to be extra safe, hopefully helps out making a decision View attachment 256630View attachment 256631View attachment 256633View attachment 256635
Not sure a tailgate would clear that rack.

@Markyh this is how I transport mine, my bars are 780 so slightly narrower than yours but even on the nearest rack I still have 130mm to the glass and with the addition of the tie strap around the frame by the shock it holds the bike rock solid. I’ve been to Wales, Cornwall etc never had it hit. You could always put it in the second rack to be extra safe, hopefully helps out making a decision View attachment 256630View attachment 256631View attachment 256633View attachment 256635
Plenty of space ..

Not sure a tailgate would clear that rack.
I have the same Altera Strada, and it clears my tailgate.
I have to be aware of the suspension height though, as sometimes after auto-leveling, the rack can’t slide far enough out of the way before hitting the ground.

I have the same Altera Strada, and it clears my tailgate.
I have to be aware of the suspension height though, as sometimes after auto-leveling, the rack can’t slide far enough out of the way before hitting the ground.
I have the 3-bike version and the tailgate doesn't clear if there's any part of any bike that protrudes beyond the upright of the rack.

Brinks fixed towbar
Flange or swan-neck? Sorry, just trying to understand why the same rack on the same vehicle type would result in a different experience (my towbar is the factory-fit removeable version).

Flange or swan-neck? Sorry, just trying to understand why the same rack on the same vehicle type would result in a different experience (my towbar is the factory-fit removeable version).
I would say it is swan neck. I only have this photo that shows anything from the fitting. The "neck" bolts in here (bumper removed):
IMG_3487.JPG

I’ve the Thule xt3 rack with a tailgate van , it has two positions for the wire stop, so it clears the tailgate in position two!, I also turn the handle bars 90 degrees.

Hmm funny, bumped into this topic.

I was hoping to collect all these kind of questions under 1 topic, but seems like people cant find it or maybe not using the search function?

No hard feelings, i just thought it would be beneficial for everyone :)

Should we put it in a different category or?

Thread 'The Big Bike Carrier Topic - Hoping to build a FAQ and list of Racks' The Big Bike Carrier Topic - Hoping to build a FAQ and list of Racks

Anyway, maybe this topic helps.

So I got a Thule Easy fold XT 2 bike carrier .
I did the mod cutting down the plastic stoppers in the tube . It now hinges all the way to the floor so when I open tailgate it clears by a few inches .

I was slightly worried at first as it only clears the bike carriers locking handle by a few mm ,

But all good so far , I’ve not tried bikes on it yet but they shouldn’t be in a position where they stick out and block tailgate .

Hmm funny, bumped into this topic.

I was hoping to collect all these kind of questions under 1 topic, but seems like people cant find it or maybe not using the search function?

No hard feelings, i just thought it would be beneficial for everyone :)

Should we put it in a different category or?

Thread 'The Big Bike Carrier Topic - Hoping to build a FAQ and list of Racks' The Big Bike Carrier Topic - Hoping to build a FAQ and list of Racks

Anyway, maybe this topic helps.
I initially did a search, I didn’t see the thread you’ve mentioned above , hence why I then made the post . Strange why it never brought me to your thread

Mark

Back