Traction Control / ABS issue diagnosis

T5 Byron

Hey there, I'm over on the continent (no tools or OBD reader) so hoping to gather some knowledge about this issue before approaching a foreign speaking garage.

How the problem started
Yesterday, driving along a stretch of french motorway, cruise control engaged, felt a little blip in power, then a few minutes later a series of blips and the ABS and traction control lights came on.

Pulled off to take a look, internet said it could be brake fluid level, but it's all fine.

Turned off traction control, and set off again this time without cruise control or AC on (wondered if it was power/alternator related)

Back on the smooth straight french motorway, no problem for 15 minutes or so, then the same happened again.

It feels like someone tapping the brakes whilst you're driving, which I assume is the traction control kicking in (even though it was off)

This time after the lights came on the dash and MFD reported an Issue and said TRS had been deactivated.

Managed a couple more hours driving to reach our destination (first campsite) and now I'm trying to diagnose the issue.

What the problem could be
- N/S driveshaft was fitted a few weeks ago, would one side new, and o/s old throwout the TRS?
- a wheel sensor could be faulty as I gave the wheels a good bashing with the jet wash - but would a sensor create an intermittent error?
- is it ABS, a pump, sensor or fluid issue?
- or something else.... So many threads about it,.it's hard to know.

Hoping that the back story of how the issue started might help provide some clues.

Thanks

Don't know if it helps i had similar problem abs, traction control, warning lights coming on intermittently.
Turns out it was rear wheel bearing

Today, we managed another 3 hours steady driving on the motorway without any issue. Then when we reached a hill and the oil temp climbed to 105+ , the abs issue came back. Nothing on the MFD this time.

Been able to manage okay without ABS and traction control, but have got another 4 weeks before we're back in the UK.

Hope it holds up

It could be anything, without a fault scan everything is just a guess
If you are staying somewhere for a couple days mr Amazon could bring you a Carista to get some fault codes

Got a carista delivered to an Amazon Dropbox. Picked it up this morning and we're in business!

Scan flagged an ABS sensor

00285 – Right front ABS wheel speed sensor: Implausible signal

Now the fun begins. From the YouTube videos it seems to be a pain to remove the old one. I have a multitool and a 1/4 inch socket set up to 13mm

So I'll probably be dropping into the french equivalent of kwikfit.

Nice one, at least you know the problem now giving you a bit piece of mind
Enjoy the rest of your time away.

Back