Trailers ….

DWS

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all.

I’m toying with the idea of selling an old transit flat bed I use minimally for work, and thinking of getting a trailer to save on the annual costs of running a vehicle that I do around 1200 miles if that a year in.

So I’m looking for something I can use for work but also that I could get my E46 M3 on IF I ever needed to.

I’ve so far looked at an Ifor Williams, my local place that sells them recommended an LM146 G3 tri axle, its has removable drop sides which is handy, but after looking at it today, I wonder if I’d even get my M3 on it, 8ft skids with it, the angle looks steep, think I may need to look at something else, and wondered on here what people use?

Also as a side note, I have a VW Transporter T6 T32 to tow with, from what I understand at 3200 ton vehicle it can train a total of 5300kg, meaning the above trailer being a 3500kg with a payload of 2655kg - which pushes me over for my Transporter, would anyone know if I could still tow this trailer just making sure I don’t go over the stated combined weight of 5300kg as stamped on the data plate on the van?

Hi all.

I’m toying with the idea of selling an old transit flat bed I use minimally for work, and thinking of getting a trailer to save on the annual costs of running a vehicle that I do around 1200 miles if that a year in.

So I’m looking for something I can use for work but also that I could get my E46 M3 on IF I ever needed to.

I’ve so far looked at an Ifor Williams, my local place that sells them recommended an LM146 G3 tri axle, its has removable drop sides which is handy, but after looking at it today, I wonder if I’d even get my M3 on it, 8ft skids with it, the angle looks steep, think I may need to look at something else, and wondered on here what people use?

Also as a side note, I have a VW Transporter T6 T32 to tow with, from what I understand at 3200 ton vehicle it can train a total of 5300kg, meaning the above trailer being a 3500kg with a payload of 2655kg - which pushes me over for my Transporter, would anyone know if I could still tow this trailer just making sure I don’t go over the stated combined weight of 5300kg as stamped on the data plate on the van?
On your V5 it will most probably state 2500 kg as max permissible tow weight.

Tri axle trailers became very popular a few years ago but many farmers that I know have gone back to twin axles simply because the additional axles / springs / wheels all added to the unladen weight of the trailer, reducing the amount you can carry.

Reactions: DWS
Tri axle trailers became very popular a few years ago but many farmers that I know have gone back to twin axles simply because the additional axles / springs / wheels all added to the unladen weight of the trailer, reducing the amount you can carry.
Yes it does seem a bit over the top, and more maintenance, it’s the 1st one they have come up with, so I will see what else they have to offer.

Also look at Nugents offerings as they are as good if not better value than IWT.
I have a small 8x4 one of theirs having sold my IWT one

Reactions: DWS
Also look at Nugents offerings as they are as good if not better value than IWT.
I have a small 8x4 one of theirs having sold my IWT one
Their local dealer is closer than IWT, only 5 mins from me!

Back