Transporter on a budget!

Alex swampy

VIP Member
I've wanted a van for a long time. A while ago, I used to have a little old van, a Mercedes Vito. I just added a basic leisure battery with a split charge relay, a bed, and some bikes, and went to explore Europe.

Now, at 30, I decided I wanted to get the real thing. I looked into getting a T6.1 Transporter, but the prices were absolutely outrageous for a van with relatively basic specs. I guess you're paying for the badge, and realistically, I wanted that badge because it’s the one I’ve always wanted.

So, I decided to work some magic on a budget. I'm going to take you through how I got this T6 on a low budget. This is not all bells and whistles; this is an attainable T6.1 that has served me well for a few trips and, to be honest, has been a fun little project!

Soooooo.......

Here are the basics of my build so far:
The only van realistically in my price range was an ex-fleet van being sold off. Here are the details:
  • Van: £16,000 + VAT
    • T6.1, 110ps Startline, 80k miles, full service history with changed timing belt and water pump (1+1 and 2+1) 5-seater Kombi (21 plate).
  • Sound deadening and insulation: Stripped out and sound deadened with Dodo mats, then fully insulated with 10mm closed cell and natural hydrophobic insulation for the whole van, including doors, roof, and cab (£400).
  • Revo remap: 160ps (£399)
  • Inspection and service: With a reliable VW independent garage (£320).
  • Fake OVANO: Essentially the same as the original but second-hand from a nearby converter display (£700).
  • Dream mattress: (£230).
  • Wolfbox G9000: Amazing bit of kit, though challenging to get through the conduit at the rear door (£203).
  • 2x Captain swivels: (£180 each).
  • Limo tint: Rear and back window (£180).
  • Bike rack: VW 4x tailgate (£400) + disassembled and powder-coated (£48).
  • Rhino Alloys + BFG Trails: Almost new (£800).
  • Roof rails: Black (£65).
  • Sounds like a Golf seals: Gift.
Total cost: £23,258 (including VAT).

Next bits to get started/finished with! (Electrics and heater, for a simple mobile charging and lights and enough power to run the heaters)
Some good quality seat covers
And some more adventures! (Possible pop top in the future)

van1.1.jpg

van3.1.jpg

van21..jpg

I suppose everyone is different when on a 'budget' but I would easily do without half of the stuff you've added such as wheels, remap, wolf box and the expensive mattress.....

Looks nice though

Looking great. I'd be interested in knowing more about the powdercoating of the bike rack for £48. Do you have any info on the company that did the work?

Back