Tyre condition advice please

CamperCaz

T6 Pro
Hello Peeps, newbie here, what about the cuts in this tyre, could someone tell me how much it would cost for a new tyre, what sort do I need.....

....the cuts are on the side wall, not on the tread.....you can see my fingernail goes in about 2mm.....do I need a new tyre......

(the van had an MOT only 3 months ago and I have not used it much, why did it pass MOT) :confused:

IMG_9672.JPG

IMG_9658.JPG

Hi.
I would be more concerned with the perished and cracked section that runs circumferentially, just to the left of the cracks that you are highlighting. All of these point to an old tyre.
What is the date of manufacture on the tyres? They look quite old.
I would certainly replace.

Don't skimp on tyres. The only things that keep you pinned to the road with a bit of help from Newton and his confounded apples.
Get some Michelin Agilis CC2 - fantastic tyres.
However, you have to put the good ones on the back, again to stop that part of the van from flying off the road, so then you end up with not as good on the front.....
Which means...... 4 x new tyres = £650-700 depending on the size.

Whatever happens - make sure they are paired front and back, so don't just get 1 tyre.

How does one get cuts on a tyre like that?

Last edited:
Hi.
I would be more concerned with the perished and cracked section that runs circumferentially, just to the left of the cracks that you are highlighting. All of these point to an old tyre.
What is the date of manufacture on the tyres? They look quite old.
I would certainly replace.

Yes, I noticed that as well Bear, I paid a lot for this van and I am a little disappointed in the state of the tyres

Who did the MOT? If it was done for the seller, then it suggests the MOT company did not do much of a job...
Bridgewater Campers of Sale sold the van to me, it had been MOT's prior to that, ready for handover, I only noticed it by chance :confused:

Don't skimp on tyres. The only things that keep you pinned to the road with a bit of help from Newton and his confounded apples.
However, you have to put the good ones on the back, again to stop that part of the van from flying off the road, so then you end up with not as good on the front.....
Which means...... 4 x new tyres = £650-700

Thanks Whodat, I didn't expect it to be cheap, do you know if Kwikfit would do it........

Whatever happens - make sure they are paired front and back, so don't just get 1 tyre.
That was the back tyre by the way, the passenger side.......

As above that tyre definitely needs replacing . If you’re looking for a more budget friendly option I have fitted Falken Linam Van01 to my summer wheels. Were a bit cheaper than the original Conti Van Contacts ,quiet and the main factor for me on any tyre, A rated for wet grip.
Probably not as good as the above Agilis on wet grass so depends on what you need. For any tyre you decide on check it is load rated for your vehicle.

Okay, thank you and who would be qualified to fit them........would any garage do it.......
I can’t see the date on the pic. Not high enough detail. However it will be four numbers telling week and year. Eg 3621 would be week 36 in 2021.

A good question they don’t look good, from the above picture the valve position has been marked so the tyre may have been off the rim for a repair as well. I get my tyres online from likes of my tyres .co or black circles, they usually list recommendations for fitters in your area.

Okay, thank you and who would be qualified to fit them........would any garage do it.......
Ok, I’m going to throw you a curveball. Those wheels are Clayton’s. They sell on Facebook marketplace, eBay etc for £200 to £250 for delivery mileage or not much more miles. That’s cheaper than going to a tyre place and buying just tyres.IMG_0198.png

I'll go and have a look even though it raining :devil: haha
This seems to indicate 2021, so not too old really, thank you for the help on that :)

Tyre Date.jpg

Read the above post.
Oh thanks Skyliner I missed that one, yes, I see someone may have got then from there.......

How does one get cuts on a tyre like that?
They may be cracks, not cuts coz they're on the side wall, van may have been standing for months before sale......

It says 'no results found' when I put the tyre profile into Halfords......

I think from the pictures your existing tyres are 215/65/R18, a size that VW Transporters came out of the factory on.
It's a common size, you'll have no trouble finding replacement tyres, any reputable tyre dealer will be able to supply new tyres, just make sure you get the appropriate load rating for your van.

Back