Tyre pressure monitoring unavailable showing dash errors - ABS Light, Traction Control Light and Tyre pressure warnings.

Benjart

Tyre pressure monitoring unavailable showing dash errors - ABS Light, Traction Control Light and Tyre pressure warnings. Had it plugged in and it was showing a faulty sensor on the drivers side. I had that replaced and it hasn’t cleared the issue? Any ideas? Thanks!

Has the battery been disconnected or is its voltage low?
Have you tried the full lock to full lock steering & then drive it to see if it clears them all?
Otherwise it needs plugging in again to diagnose/clear errors & try again I’d suggest.
Do you have access to VCDS?

Tyre pressure monitoring unavailable showing dash errors - ABS Light, Traction Control Light and Tyre pressure warnings. Had it plugged in and it was showing a faulty sensor on the drivers side. I had that replaced and it hasn’t cleared the issue? Any ideas? Thanks!
Others have a less vague diagnosis shortly, but think these may be to do with a faulty ABS sensor in a wheel hub.
I had very similar issues and my OBDeleven reader found one of my rear sensors was faulty.
Try searching the forum for ABS sensor faults?
Andy

Jeeeez........that is spooky!!! I got that message yesterday and cleared it with Carista. It was fine all day, went out and checked ten minutes ago and got the same message!! I can't believe the timing of this thread!! My fault codes are 00071 "Left rear wheel sensor incorrect component installed" and 00079 "Left rear ABS wheel speed sensor:range/performance". Any thoughts gents........as with anything ABS, this sounds expensive!!
Cheers
Dave:thumbsup:

Jeeeez........that is spooky!!! I got that message yesterday and cleared it with Carista. It was fine all day, went out and checked ten minutes ago and got the same message!! I can't believe the timing of this thread!! My fault codes are 00071 "Left rear wheel sensor incorrect component installed" and 00079 "Left rear ABS wheel speed sensor:range/performance". Any thoughts gents........as with anything ABS, this sounds expensive!!
Cheers
Dave:thumbsup:
Hi Dave.
I also needed a new left rear ABS sensor.
A little investigative Googling found me the same part as genuine VAG, just with VW logo melted/defaced.
Also, unless you have 4WD, try to not follow the threads re drilling it out. There’s a gert rubber grommet on the back of the hub!
Pull it off and you can see the end of the sensor and push it up and out!!
Cheers
Andy

PS
Got mine from Autodoc, as apparently some of the cheaper ones either don’t work or need two fitted as an axle pair.

IMG_8738.png

Last edited:
If replacement of the sensor doesn't give you good data then the issue may be with toothed tone ring - the sensor is sensing the magnetic field disturbance to count the teeth on the ring essentially and then the ECU can calculate rotational velocity.

If it gets damaged/corroded/covered in crap that can disrupt the measurement.

Also consider if the replacement sensor is faulty or if the fault was in the wiring van side. Ideally swap with a known working sensor to test that.

Hi Dave.
I also needed a new left rear ABS sensor.
A little investigative Googling found me the same part as genuine VAG, just with VW logo melted/defaced.
Also, unless you have 4WD, try to not follow the threads re drilling it out. There’s a gert rubber grommet on the back of the hub!
Pull it off and you can see the end of the sensor and push it up and out!!
Cheers
Andy

PS
Got mine from Autodoc, as apparently some of the cheaper ones either don’t work or need two fitted as an axle pair.

View attachment 235410
Andy.....many thanks for that! I'll take a look. I've cleared it again with carista and re set the tyre pressures. I know it'll come back but it's good to know that it may well not be eye wateringly expensive. Also, many thanks to @roadtripper. Can you give me any idea of the cost of the components you mention? I still can't believe the timing!!
Thanks again gents!:thumbsup:

Dave….
£38.41 in July ‘23, as per screenshot above of email from Autodoc?!?

No idea on T6/6.1 costs sorry.

On the Volvo the front tone rings are reasonable (about same cost+labour as a disk change) but the rear ones are a pain as they are pressed on to the drive shaft in the AWD apparently - luckily I've only ever needed to do the fronts.

Dave….
£38.41 in July ‘23, as per screenshot above of email from Autodoc?!?
No, I saw that mate.......I was referring to @roadtripper and the tone ring. Interestingly, when I put my reg in, it said that the part isn't compatible with my van. I'll do some digging though. If I knew for certain which part to order, I'd do it.......if I'm in doubt, I'll take it to a garage. I don't want to buy a cheap spurious part....I'd rather pay extra and get oem.

No, I saw that mate.......I was referring to @roadtripper and the tone ring. Interestingly, when I put my reg in, it said that the part isn't compatible with my van. I'll do some digging though. If I knew for certain which part to order, I'd do it.......if I'm in doubt, I'll take it to a garage. I don't want to buy a cheap spurious part....I'd rather pay extra and get oem.
Whoops.
Apologies.
Hope you find the solution soon and not too expensive.

On the Volvo the front tone rings are reasonable (about same cost+labour as a disk change)
As of today I can confirm that a front tone ring and sensor for an XC70 is about £200 parts and labour (guess which of my cars in the local garage today!) :laugh:

Anyway back to T6s :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone for the reply’s managed to get it sorted in the end the problem was that it needed to be a genuine Vw sensor tried a bosch one at first (£32) and then another bosch one in case the first was faulty finally tried the vw one which was a bit more expensive (£100) but it solved the problem! Mechanic said he’d never had a problem using a non genuine vw one before that which is rather strange but at least the problem is solved now

My ABS warning came on, took it to garage, identified wheel sensor, so changed that. Light came on again so took it back, but they couldn’t find anything, deleted the code and told me to try it for a few days. It was intermittent , sometimes on, then would go off, sometimes not on for several days. Took it back to garage, they tell me it’s ‘might’ be a loom problem ?!! And it’s difficult to get to as it’s a campervan ! And would need to take out all the cabinets on one side? They then say there is a possibility you can buy a short repair section, telling me they would order one and get back, ( that was two weeks ago) is this something I can buy and do myself? Anyone else had a similar intermittent fault? On the wheel sensor. It’s extremely frustrating that I can’t just get it repaired, clearly it’s a ‘standard’ VW problem along with EGR, water pump………. Etc
Not really sure whether the garage really want the work, they are Bosch, they are VW trained, do I bite the bullet and go to main dealer to sort ()
Any feedback welcome and Thankyou in advance.

If you've replaced the wheel sensor with a known good one then the next most likely reason the van electronics can't read it is the wiring.

It might be worth either trying another new one or swapping a pair over on the van - it's not unknown for new parts to not work. If you swap them and the fault moves then the issue is with the sensor, if the fault stays the same then the fault is going to be somewhere in the wiring.

The most likely area for damage is going to be the exposed cable under the van, I guess that's what they are proposing changing as a first fix attempt if it's going to be difficult to access the rest of the wiring. From what the garage said I assume it was a rear sensor that went?

It's not really a VW specific issue, the wheel speed sensors live out in harsh conditions and are to some extent consumables.

If you get yourself a code reader you can also keep an eye on what's going on, they're a good investment on a modern vehicle.

If you've replaced the wheel sensor with a known good one then the next most likely reason the van electronics can't read it is the wiring.

It might be worth either trying another new one or swapping a pair over on the van - it's not unknown for new parts to not work. If you swap them and the fault moves then the issue is with the sensor, if the fault stays the same then the fault is going to be somewhere in the wiring.

The most likely area for damage is going to be the exposed cable under the van, I guess that's what they are proposing changing as a first fix attempt if it's going to be difficult to access the rest of the wiring. From what the garage said I assume it was a rear sensor that went?

It's not really a VW specific issue, the wheel speed sensors live out in harsh conditions and are to some extent consumables.

If you get yourself a code reader you can also keep an eye on what's going on, they're a good investment on a modern vehicle.
Thanks for the reply, yes rear sensor, I did suggest to the garage whether the sensor even though new might be faulty as I had read this could happen, they assured me it was ok( as they would) they talked about plausible and implausible data/ signal?
I do have a code reader which helpful to check things, sadly garages ( I use) don’t believe you and charge you £40 for diagnosis
Will investigate further on the wiring !
Thanks

they talked about plausible and implausible data/ signal?
That sounds like the detail from the fault codes. Generally the electronics try and give you the reason behind the issue, in this case if there was a fundamental fault in the power I'd expect something along the lines of open circuit or similar being reported. That sounds more like the power is generally fine but at times the data doesn't make sense.

One thing to check is that these read the magnetic influence of a toothed wheel, so it's also worth checking that that wheel is intact and undamaged. I've just had a sensor and ring changed on the XC70 because the ring had corroded and cracked making the pulse generated from it too variable.

On the Volvo forums it tends to be called the ABS Tone Ring, but I think in the VW world it tends to be called the ABS Reluctor Ring

Back