Underseat electrical connections - tidying for LB install

Here is a pic of the floor with seats and carpet removed. There are loads of channels for running cables and it’s really easy to get power from the fuse box below the gear lever to the seat area. There is a ground point under each seat too.

IMG_7036.png

Retitled from Fitting a swivel, what to do with underwear electrics

exported_D4617504-F091-44BC-BEB1-B1E784C6F052.jpeg

Can anyone shed any light on what these terminal connectors do? Specifically the two green, the red, the purple and the yellow. I’ve tried to decipher the diagrams but I’m no autoelectrician and I find it all very confusing lol. My plan,if I can, is to remove these and wire them all together- therefore allowing me to mount a swivel. Haven’t the height clearance with these terminal connectors in place. Is this a bad idea? Managed to move the SCR to under driver seat and I’m removing towbar electrics. It’s just these to go. I haven’t the slack to enable these to move to drivers seat. Thanks all.

That's not RAC specific, those are the VW OEM connections between the front and rear van looms.

If you lift the flooring a bit there are two wiring channels down either side of where a transmission tunnel would traditionally be and one across the van - most converters (owners and pros) can usually find enough slack to tuck them into these spaces.

Hardwiring them if you don't have to would be a bad idea and may cause a number of hard to trace electrical faults.

Mods- I appreciate you may have heaps of knowledge about this platform and where to look and search for stuff. I don’t. I’m a first time hobbyist. I’m pleased that posting in the wrong part of a forum has bought some pointing finger time for you and silly emojis.

View attachment 254749

Can anyone shed any light on what these terminal connectors do? Specifically the two green, the red, the purple and the yellow. I’ve tried to decipher the diagrams but I’m no autoelectrician and I find it all very confusing lol. My plan,if I can, is to remove these and wire them all together- therefore allowing me to mount a swivel. Haven’t the height clearance with these terminal connectors in place. Is this a bad idea? Managed to move the SCR to under driver seat and I’m removing towbar electrics. It’s just these to go. I haven’t the slack to enable these to move to drivers seat. Thanks all.
As has been said, you can tuck those away under the floor to allow a swivel to be fitted.

Top tip, don't turn your ignition on whilst they are unplugged. You'll get error messages. The yellow ones are always to do with air bags.

Mods- I appreciate you may have heaps of knowledge about this platform and where to look and search for stuff. I don’t. I’m a first time hobbyist. I’m pleased that posting in the wrong part of a forum has bought some pointing finger time for you and silly emojis.
It's not posting in the wrong place that got you that reaction. It is the auto correct in your thread title.

You shouldn't need to do anything with those connectors if you're just fitting a swivel seat, there's acres of room in the seat base.

And even with a big leisure battery and various devices taking up 98% of space under there, you can still tuck them away. Mine are in the rear U shaped bit, behind the battery and in front of my inverter. And I've got a factory swivel seat.

1000009265.jpg
1000010148.jpg

Got to love an autocorrect! I’ve got it wrong far too many times. The thread unfortunately has not gone where I was hoping!

Anyhow, back to the cables. Don’t go playing with the various coloured connectors. As said they are original and can cause issues if disconnected and power applied.

I have a swivel on a single passenger seat and those cables cause absolutely no issue at all. Mine were tucked under the rubber matting by the converter to clear the space under the seat. I have since moved my leisure battery and DC-DC charger to under the passenger seat and those connectors are now just moved to one side and protected with bubble wrap. They can be seen in the top right of the pic below. Swivel fits on top, then seat.

IMG_6942.jpeg

Unless of course it’s a double swivel. Then as has been mentioned they will all fit in the channel to the rear of the seat base underneath the rubber floor. Just lay them neatly and don’t trap anything.

Unless of course it’s a double swivel. Then as has been mentioned they will all fit in the channel to the rear of the seat base underneath the rubber floor. Just lay them neatly and don’t trap anything.
Ah, didn’t realise the double was different. As you say, they will tuck away in the channel running across the cab between the seats:

IMG_0300.png

Ahh yeah true old double swivels. As above, tuck them under the carpet in the channel.

Well that will teach me to quickly tidy up threads on the phone while making a cup of tea :unsure:

Folks, please appreciate that when stuff get's moved to it's own thread it's the mod and not the OP that writes the title, at least I achieved my aim of helping it get more attention I guess :oops:

Back