Using A Leisure Battery To Power A Dash Cam In Parking Mode

Just piggy backing on this thread. I have just ordered a ThinkWare Q800 Pro dashcam. I was thinking that I'd wire it up to the leisure battery for the parking mode so just thought I'd test my thinking with you guys who seem to know more about it than I do.
The Dashcam has two live feeds, one ign switched and one constant, I was planning on using the leisure battery as the constant feed and the ign switched will obviously be from the main battery. Leisure battery will be DC-DC charged and I'm not looking for days of park mode usage, typically overnight would be good enough. Does this sound like a reasonable set up?
Sounds fine to me .. my set up is working excellently I don’t have to think about it . Never switch it off but have the choice if I want to . Only thing I hate is the stupid American woman’s voice that tells me ..“ direct wi fi connection already taken ” they must have auditioned plenty to find a voice so obnoxious

I’m also going to add a quick one to this thread.

I have the blackview 2CH installed now for around a week. Really simple to install. No panel removal just lift them slightly and tuck cables in. I brought the camera kit on its own no extra extortionate parts as it’s expensive enough on its own!

it’s connected under my driver seat to my mini fuse box with a 120ah AGM leisure battery. I’ve been checking it now for a week with parking mode switched on and it hardly uses any power from the battery. I’ve been using the CTEK battery monitor. That’s with a 10min drive a day. I’ll give it a few weeks and post again. 13499515-8482-46C5-98AC-0AEE2FA1F78E.jpeg

And just to add to that previous post and the post before I can confirm it has one of the most annoying American accents I have ever heard!!

I’m also going to add a quick one to this thread.

I have the blackview 2CH installed now for around a week. Really simple to install. No panel removal just lift them slightly and tuck cables in. I brought the camera kit on its own no extra extortionate parts as it’s expensive enough on its own!

it’s connected under my driver seat to my mini fuse box with a 120ah AGM leisure battery. I’ve been checking it now for a week with parking mode switched on and it hardly uses any power from the battery. I’ve been using the CTEK battery monitor. That’s with a 10min drive a day. I’ll give it a few weeks and post again. View attachment 67018
Yes mine is fine off of leisure battery but if you don’t move the vehicle it takes about 4 days before the leisure battery is down to about 12 volts and my power magic pro is set to switch off at that point .. I’m no expert but I believe the battery is over half drained at 12 volts .slightly off topic but as a result of fitting my black view 2 Chanel and having it set to constantly record whilst parked I managed to film an accident and save someone’s car written off with no ability to claim insurance ! Basically my rear camera captured the number plate and behaviour of a hit and run driver who reversed into another car and drove off .. I found the owner of the damaged ca r ( it was parked by the way ) and gave them the footage .. they had no issues with insurance who paid in full and the police have the number plate of the driver who did the deed . So these cameras are bloody useful even if it’s not for yourself .

My Nextbase dashcam switches on for a short time with movement such as collision or door closing.

Yes mine is fine off of leisure battery but if you don’t move the vehicle it takes about 4 days before the leisure battery is down to about 12 volts and my power magic pro is set to switch off at that point .. I’m no expert but I believe the battery is over half drained at 12 volts .slightly off topic but as a result of fitting my black view 2 Chanel and having it set to constantly record whilst parked I managed to film an accident and save someone’s car written off with no ability to claim insurance ! Basically my rear camera captured the number plate and behaviour of a hit and run driver who reversed into another car and drove off .. I found the owner of the damaged ca r ( it was parked by the way ) and gave them the footage .. they had no issues with insurance who paid in full and the police have the number plate of the driver who did the deed . So these cameras are bloody useful even if it’s not for yourself .
That is awesome!! I do a fair few miles and the things I see people do on the motorways is mental!
I used to use a GoPro 8 it wasn’t actually to bad.

how much was that cut off box? I dont leave the van standing for more than a day but would be handy to have.

That is awesome!! I do a fair few miles and the things I see people do on the motorways is mental!

how much was that cut off box? I dont leave the van standing for more than a day but would be handy to have.
I don’t have a black view, I have a Thinkware but the cut off is a software configuration option, You can set the max record time in parking mode to a number of pre-determined hours (24, 48 etc). It also has a battery cut off where it will switch off if the battery voltage drops below 12.2v (from memory). This is also selectable.

I was pretty cheap around £30 / 40 if I remember correctly .. expensive for what it is .. but I would not be without it . I can always change the settings to completely deplete the leisure battery if I’m going away for longer ... I use the cameras on 24h per day parked outside the house as a security system as well .. it’s pretty neat you can also monitor in real time on a phone or computer .

I was pretty cheap around £30 / 40 if I remember correctly .. expensive for what it is .. but I would not be without it . I can always change the settings to completely deplete the leisure battery if I’m going away for longer ... I use the cameras on 24h per day parked outside the house as a security system as well .. it’s pretty neat you can also monitor in real time on a phone or computer .
How do you do the monitoring in real time?? is that another cost?

Notifications ?
In parking mode it pushes notifications when it senses movement.. but it’s super sensitive but I’ve just turned it down and it isn’t that bad.
I’m still learning the setup and settings.

In parking mode it pushes notifications when it senses movement.. but it’s super sensitive but I’ve just turned it down and it isn’t that bad.
I’m still learning the setup and settings.
Ah i see , well I played around with it for a while and now god knows what it’s set to do .. I have the voice switched off ! That did my head in and I hardly think about it now i don’t get any notifications , I only look at footage after an event if im trying to see anything that may be important .my Kenwood system ( i also have a Kenwood head unit and dash and reversing camera connected to that ) I use for parking mode and it often tells me of any incident which I can watch there and then in the head unit screen in the van it’s very convenient . my BlackVue the way I think about it is just monitoring 24/7 all and anything that happens around my van constantly whether it be parked or while driving. The black vue kicks ass as it’s 4 k and even the rear is 720 both are excellent for getting all the details .. the Kenwood is pants video but it’s efficient as it tells me when I get in my van if anything happened whilst I was parked .

Back