Van viewing and possible red flags? Broadway Van centre

Nick Fox

IT Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Afternoon Forum peeps

I viewed a van yesterday at Broadway van centre. This one:
Used VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER T6.1 TDI HIGHLINE SWB IN CHERRY RED - EURO SIX, RED, 2.0, Van SWB, Mid Glamorgan South Wales | Broadway Van Centre

The van looks to be in the condition I would expect for 3years/30k, however there were a couple of issues that I'm not sure about, perhaps you could lend me your wisdom..

The engine bay had a few cobwebs around the engine itself. And the battery was flat, they had to jump it from a battery pack to start it. I can understand if its been sat around for a while. I'm not sure how long a battery would take to drain on this model. any ideas?

Also they could not produce a service history for the van. However, they did say its "all online these days" and they can get hold of it and forward it to me at the start of next week. does this sound normal for a 2021 t6.1?

Visually the van looks good, they have obviously washed/waxed it and carpet lined the inside. However, I had a quick look at the roof and it seems like thats never been washed.

No engine errors and I did a quick check via ODB scanner for any faults.

no obvious leaks around the EGR pipes.

I wasn't able to inspect underneath due to it raining and I didn't want to scramble around on the floor.

Broadway seem to have a good reputation based on posts on here.

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Cobwebs in engine bay are certainly nothing to worry about, I'd rather see that than an engine bay that has just been degreased and pressure washed.
A flat battery doesn't overly worry me, although if I was trying to sell a vehicle I'd have had it charged and ready to go before anybody arrived to view it.
Service history is on line.
They only wash the bits that you can easily see, I wouldn't worry about the roof not being washed, the condition of the keys suggests that it was a builders van in its former life.
Nothing in your post would ring alarm bells or put me off.
The van even has enough fuel in it to get you to the nearest filling station. Maybe.
Good luck!

Mines a '21 and had a new battery just prior to me purchasing it. They don't like sitting around and if the van has been in trade for a spell that won't be good news for the battery. I'd insist on a new battery for that price.

The roof isn't an issue in and of itself. I'm 6'5" and still use a step ladder to clean up there. How many people bother?

The service history, they're probably telling the truth in that you don't usually get a service book now and the history is stored either on board the vehicle/keys, depending on the make, or held centrally and accessible by the dealer. If its the latter, as they claim, they should be able to get it although I'd personally refuse to take the van away until I had the history in my hand.

But nothing wrong with being cautious.

To get the service history, you'll need to contact either all the dealers who have serviced it, or somehow contact VW and get them to agree to send you the details.
Each service centre doesn't know what other dealers/service centres have done.
(T6.1 22plate)
Battery lasts about 3 days on mine before showing signs of flatness. Would reckon a week or so would knock it out. Or some cold weather.
Never washed the roof on mine in fact only had one wash in 6 months (sorry guys and gals). Rain does the job ok.

As above. Don’t think there’s too much to worry about but I think I would try to get a new battery out of them if possible.

Similar age MY21 T6.1 Caravelle owner

If I'm leaving the van for more than 2 weeks I'd put it on a charger. Modern van electrics have a small (so light) battery and only charge it to 80% ish due to regenerative braking so there is only about 30% of effective runtime. Depending on the van that's 2-3 weeks.

Every van I looked at the VW Van Centre could look up the complete online service history from the VIN - so personally if they can't do that that to me is something I'd regard as a red flag.

Service history is available on VWerwin for a small fee (€7 I think ?)

Personally I think they are overpriced and always have been. They take a stock van, bolt some wheels and roof bars and some rust collecting side bars and spoilers then inflate the price accordingly. All things you could easily do yourself.

On these they are panelling but look at the white kitchen blocks used to hold the upper barn door panels.

On the upside you get a turn key van to deal with accordingly.

Back