Very lumpy start up

dandan88

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve noticed that when I start to van up from a dead start, ie morning start or a next day start, it is very lumpy, and I can feel it from sitting in the cab. I can’t quite pinpoint anything but after maybe about 2-3 mins after it slightly warms up it disappears. If I drive off then I stop it’s all normal.
It sure is starting to annoy me. Only 68k

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Just to clarify I’ve had the egr valve replace, that had split about 4K ago

Rough cold start in cold weather could be glow plugs. Have you scanned it?

I never thought of that, I haven’t scanned it it, do you mean on the diagnostics or something,
Even tho it starts on the button when the glow plug light goes out on ignition?

I never thought of that, I haven’t scanned it it, do you mean on the diagnostics or something,
Even tho it starts on the button when the glow plug light goes out on ignition?
You test the glow plugs by measuring the resistance of each one, they are not monitored.

Not sure what it could be but if I understood correctly it's still lumpy after startup for couple of minutes - I think glow plugs would really only make it difficult to start.

Is the diesel filter changed according to the service schedule? Air filter?

It’s due in about 3-4 weeks I will get everything g done and I think I’m going’s to do the belt etc.

Startup is absolutely fine no issues at all when turning it over

Cheers guys

Not sure what it could be but if I understood correctly it's still lumpy after startup for couple of minutes - I think glow plugs would really only make it difficult to start.

Is the diesel filter changed according to the service schedule? Air filter?
The glow plugs run for a few minutes after the van has started to minimise emissions so could be a factor.

Cheers guys, I’ll try that option,

You can never really rule it out until tried and tested

Loz, how on earth do you do that? Take them out and then...

Cheers
no, just unplug each and measure the resistance between the tip and engine, they should all be about the same.

Glow plug faults triggering engine light:

Resolution:

I’ve noticed that when I start to van up from a dead start, ie morning start or a next day start, it is very lumpy, and I can feel it from sitting in the cab. I can’t quite pinpoint anything but after maybe about 2-3 mins after it slightly warms up it disappears. If I drive off then I stop it’s all normal.
It sure is starting to annoy me. Only 68k

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Just to clarify I’ve had the egr valve replace, that had split about 4K ago
Perhaps you could record the lumpy running for us?
Ticking over (1) The lumpy portion (60 seconds) (2) normal runnning (60 seconds) for comparison
Bonnet open, microphone approx. at van's centreline, above radiator fan, at shoulder height (thus not too close to engine).
Forum accepts MP3-sound files.

@mmi I will try to Do this on the weekend it’s been sat all a week now, but I will be honest it doesnt really sound any different, it just feels lumpy and jumpy at the pedals when your sitting in the seat and just started it up. You can almost feel the van jumping around while stagnant on the driveway if that Makes sense

Reactions: mmi
The egr valve was changed as that had a hole in it I think, it could have possibly been because I park my van nose down on my sloping drive and don’t drive it all week and I was told that air can build up? Could be bull but I now park round the other way and it isnt too bad on startup to be fair

Back