Wastegate actuator adaption CXEB

Meanwhile - it seems that we can run the G581 into different position via engine's Basic Settings > IDE00457 - Test of turbocharger. Test runs for 60 seconds sweeping the actuator a couple of times.

View attachment 262393

View attachment 262392

However, I'm not sure if OBDeleven can make a log while test is running. At least in the past it didn't have the capability.

Wow, thanks!

This is giving me alot of more hope! I spoke to my tuner that would let me use his VCDS if I wanted to. The thing is I have to drive the van 35km to do so. If the new N75 makes no difference I know exactly know what rabbithole to go down.

Reactions: mmi
Meanwhile - it seems that we can run the G581 into different position via engine's Basic Settings > IDE00457 - Test of turbocharger. Test runs for 60 seconds sweeping the actuator a couple of times.

View attachment 262393

View attachment 262392

However, I'm not sure if OBDeleven can make a log while test is running. At least in the past it didn't have the capability.

Turns out the voltage reading on the G581 at 700mbar equals…
IMG_4478.png

Am pretty sure we just found the culprit!

Would have been great if this had been the solution... The reason for the voltage to halt at 1.769v is because the valve (?) inside the turbo seems stuck from opening any further. I came to this conclusion since the arm from the vacuum unit is not adjustable when it is "original". I have a refurbished bi-turbo and they haven't changed this unit.

My first instinct was to put a whole lot of penetrating lube (5-56) on the piece sticking in to the turbo and ventilate the arm with vacuum on the vacuum unit. However, this didn't make any difference and I'm wondering what the heck happened in there whilst I was driving.

What is the purpose of this unit? There are three vacuum units on this turbo, clearly not all of them can be wastegates. How would one even go about to inspect this issue without removing the turbos again? I'm all open for ideas..

Edit: On further investigation I seem to find that the physical movement on the arm is within reasonable range (in comparison with the G580 witch has a much larger range), therefore I'm speculating that the position sender is sending the wrong voltage to the ECU. Maybe this could be the case if a Boost Control Module is faulty (N75?). Will replace it in the morning and see if there is any difference.

Last edited:
Stuck VNT, will assemble and go out for a hard drive monitoring the voltage and hopefully get it to unstick.. bullox on a ”refurbed” turbo.

• Wow
the arm from the vacuum unit is not adjustable
I believe it is - just need to remove the vacuum unit to adjust.
Check this thread -
What is the purpose of this unit? There are three vacuum units on this turbo, clearly not all of them can be wastegates.
Neither of units discussed this far is the wastegate. The wastegate is the third one at the bottom of turbo complex.

G580 is turbine changeover valve (an exhaust flap) between the two turbos. G581 is the one adjusting charge pressure - operating the turbo vanes.
More details in Forum downloads -

I believe it is - just need to remove the vacuum unit to adjust.
Check this thread -

Neither of units discussed this far is the wastegate. The wastegate is the third one at the bottom of turbo complex.

G580 is turbine changeover valve (an exhaust flap) between the two turbos. G581 is the one adjusting charge pressure - operating the turbo vanes.
More details in Forum downloads -

Unfortunately the vacuumunit isn’t adjustable, it’s just the new sparepart that can be adjusted. Trust me, I tried in every way possible until I saw under magnification that the rod is solid without threads.

However, this wouldn’t have done any difference since the arm to the VNT is partially stuck, hence the high voltage with the ignition on. Have managed to exercise the arm quite a bit and am down to around 1.3v at the moment. This in turn with the also changed out N75 have allowed me to run the van a small bit without any fault codes popping up. Will keep an eye out on the voltage every now and then, and if error still occurs I found that other TDI-owners have managed to clean the VNT mechanism with Mr Muscle oven cleaner and gotten a good result.

Don’t understand why the repairshop where I bought the replacement turbo havent refurbed the vanes or even cleaned them, but will ask for a partial refund.

Thank you kindly for all help!

Still having som troubles with my VNT, upon very low boost (cruising) and after throttle off from a high boost accelleration their often comes up a fault code p00af00 indicating issues with the performance of the actuator for the VNT.

Have managed to exercise the arm with good outcome but I can’t figure out what the numbers should be.

As is right now, I can get as low as 18,89% (then a complete stop) up to 100,52% (then a complete stop) with the arm and its now running smoothly. Still havent tried the ovencleaner hack yet, and will save it as a last outcome!

18,89% indicates circa 4,1v
100,52% indicates circa 1,3v

Workshop manual states 0,75v, but what does the offset mean in provided images?

If I still get a fault code in regard this, am I barking up the wrong tree or what?

IMG_4492.png

IMG_4493.png

Back