What is the world coming to

dErZ

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
The Mrs borrowed the van yesterday to go wreath making in a National Trust carpark (Newlands Corner) her and her friend are inside with the heater on working away when a transit pulls up and 3 lads get out, one of them walks round the van taking pictures then they proceed to get their tools out. My Mrs watches them as she knows how precious I am about my van and then they slide some wood under the van so she opens the door and asks politely what they are doing! they grab their stuff and drive off... shaken she calls me and tells me the story I say they should come home, she proceeds to tell me that the car park is full of walkers/wreath makers so wants to stay.. (shes braver than I) well 2 hours later another van pulls up and starts taking pictures.. shes had enough by now so heads home but is spoked as is tailed, so goes a very indirect/long way home..

This may or may not have been a possible theft but thiefs are so brazen, i doubt anyone would intervene if they saw some lads taking some wheels off a van as they'd just say they were helping a mate..

What is the world coming to when you want to go for a walk and then come back and find your van on bricks.

I wouldn’t just ignore something like that happening if I was passing.
You have to be aware and mindful of the particular situation, but it‘s by stepping back and doing nothing that such brazen behaviour has become normalised.
Mobile phones make it so easy to record, photograph and call for help but it obviously depends on how confident you are and the actual situation. Any evidence can help a prosecution, or even make one possible.
Just try and keep on the right side of the law yourself, as the law has a nasty habit of failing the victim and supporting the criminal.

Can you buy a tazer legally. Might invest and put one in the van.
Assuming that wasn't a rhetorical question, the answer is no - in simple terms, they're covered by the same laws that govern gun ownership here in the UK. If you're looking for a bit of self defence, the best option is usually one of the larger Maglites - the 4 D Cell version is perfect but @EAN is spot on with his last sentence above. I'm not a lawyer and might therefore be wrong but unlike a lot of other things, I have always thought the police would have a difficult job pinning anything on you for simply keeping a decent torch in the car (until you need to use it for other than lighting purposes!)

Assuming that wasn't a rhetorical question, the answer is no - in simple terms, they're covered by the same laws that govern gun ownership here in the UK. If you're looking for a bit of self defence, the best option is usually one of the larger Maglites - the 4 D Cell version is perfect but @EAN is spot on with his last sentence above. I'm not a lawyer and might therefore be wrong but unlike a lot of other things, I have always thought the police would have a difficult job pinning anything on you for simply keeping a decent torch in the car (until you need to use it for other than lighting purposes!)
This time of the year a can of spray de-icer could legitimately be carried. Never tried it but I bet it stings the eyes.

@Ayjay It really pays to be fully up on how the CPS determine whether to prosecute or not.
i’ve, unfortunately, been in Police custody, for suspected GBH, but the CPS werent interested as it wasn’t in the public interest.
They can only go on the evidence and you need to be fully aware of what is deemed reasonable; weapons complicate matters significantly. Sometimes the surroundings, such as something as simple as a brick wall is a bit less obvious and much more difficult to prove intent.

This time of the year a can of spray de-icer could legitimately be carried. Never tried it but I bet it stings the eyes.

My friend's wife, swears by a small can of hairspray, in the handbag or car door pocket. Totally legal to carry :)
I don't know about de-icer but the deterrent value of a can of hairspray is definitely improved if you've got a lighter handy to ignite the spray:D

Last edited:
Offensive weapon.....made, adapted or intended to cause injury. If you carry anything you intend to use as a weapon, whether for self defense or not, its an offensive weapon. The principle of 'instant arming ' is different in that you grab anything to hand and use it as a weapon when threatened.

Back