What Van to buy?

MandaS

Hi, I am a complete newby re van buying, and not in the least bit mechanical or practical either so I need advice please :)

I have a budget of £40k for a van as a second vehicle, or £50k if I sell the car. I have decided I definitely want a VW as it is a similar drive to my Audi, and I hired a couple of T6s and liked driving them (I won't say enjoyed, as driving is a means-to-an-end for me). I also need a 2 burner hob, sink and fridge (I love van cooking and did the entire Xmas dinner in the T6 we hired).

Is it better value if I buy ready-made rather than use a conversion company (and if the latter, how fair is the price if they source the van on your behalf)? The massive advantage of conversion is that as I am only 5' 2", I can have a U-shaped lounge that I can sit on with my feet on the floor with comfort. And, as there are only 2 of us plus the dog, if the van was in addition to the car, then I wouldn't need rear seatbelts (though Cascade do U shape + seatbelts) and the only company I can find is Retro Fitted for this style. Has anyone used either company? And finally, does anyone have views on how well a U-shaped lounge holds its value compared to usual layouts? They are unusual, so does that make it a selling point, or a 'weird, no thanks' point for future buyers? Not a massive consideration for at least 4 years, but still something I am thinking about...

All views and advice are gratefully received :)

We have a u-shaped layout and it’s brilliant for 2 people. It’s so easy to just sit around the table and have a meal or stretch out with your feet up. It’s quick and easy to convert it into a bed too.
We have a LWB and I couldn’t imagine doing trips away in a SWB. The extra 40cm makes a big difference.
On resale value it depends whether you are buying your van to use in a way that suits your needs or if you want to buy a van and not enjoy it just so you get an extra grand after three years.
I don’t care about resale value, I did our van how we wanted it and we love it.
Just on week 6 of a little trip round Spain and Portugal. Whatever the depreciation, we’ve had our money’s worth from this van.
For u-shaped have a look at Northern Rose.
They made ours from scratch after a bit of measuring and working out what fitted best.
They now offer it as an off the shelf setup.

We have a u-shaped layout and it’s brilliant for 2 people. It’s so easy to just sit around the table and have a meal or stretch out with your feet up. It’s quick and easy to convert it into a bed too.
We have a LWB and I couldn’t imagine doing trips away in a SWB. The extra 40cm makes a big difference.
On resale value it depends whether you are buying your van to use in a way that suits your needs or if you want to buy a van and not enjoy it just so you get an extra grand after three years.
I don’t care about resale value, I did our van how we wanted it and we love it.
Just on week 6 of a little trip round Spain and Portugal. Whatever the depreciation, we’ve had our money’s worth from this van.
For u-shaped have a look at Northern Rose.
They made ours from scratch after a bit of measuring and working out what fitted best.
They now offer it as an off the shelf setup.
thanks for the link - just about to check it out :) And thanks for sharing your info on your setup as that is massively reassuring about the U shape - I think that for the way I want to use the van, it would be great. Sounds like you are having a LOT of fun in your van :)

Good advice above - these vans are too expensive to be worrying about how others will view your conversion n years down the line. Design it for yourself and for your max enjoyment and you'll probably end up using the van more and keeping it for longer, to the point where a marginal difference in resale value becomes irrelevant.

thanks for the link - just about to check it out :) And thanks for sharing your info on your setup as that is massively reassuring about the U shape - I think that for the way I want to use the van, it would be great. Sounds like you are having a LOT of fun in your van :)
Another thing to mention is the amount of storage space that you have underneath the seats. We have a large cupboard door on the end of the units near the door and that houses a Thetford porta potti.
This pic was taken as we were about to set off for our 8 week Spain trip. Only thing not in there is the little cadac in its bag.IMG_5904.jpeg

Last edited:
Another thing to mention is the amount of storage space that you have underneath the seats. We have a large cupboard door on the end of the units near the door and that houses a Thetford porta potti.
Extra storage is a definite bonus - is there room to store the bedding under there too? Presumably, the bed is also full-width, adding to the bonuses of the layout?

Extra storage is a definite bonus - is there room to store the bedding under there too? Presumably, the bed is also full-width, adding to the bonuses of the layout?
The bed is full width at the top half, but narrowed by the cupboards where your legs go, so works out pretty well.
We use a night owl sleeping bag which goes under the seat along with tons of other stuff.
Did you see the pic I added to the post?

The bed is full width at the top half, but narrowed by the cupboards where your legs go, so works out pretty well.
We use a night owl sleeping bag which goes under the seat along with tons of other stuff.
Did you see the pic I added to the post?
Ooooh thanks for the pic; the set up looks really fabulous :) Thanks so much; you have really helped as I was pretty sure that the U shape is what I want but was still hesitating. You and @Bav have both reassured me that I am doing the right thing in going with what I really want :D Right, so that is one thing ticked off the decision list and it also decides that getting a bespoke conversion (rather than completed van) is a must as well. So, next thing; if I want to source a van myself, where to start?? Or as a numpty with anything mechanical, would I be better off asking a conversion company to source the van for me?

I got my van from VW as a panel van and converted it myself. Your problem with getting a company to do the conversion is that they will probably have their set layouts and I don’t think many do the ushaped layout.
I guess it depends how handy you are. Or you could get a company to do the pop top, insulation, carpet and electrics and then source and fit the interior yourself.

To source a van, you could do a lot worse than browse the For Sale threads here on the forum. I'm guessing that most of the campers will be traditional side-kitchen/rock 'n' roll bed set-ups, but there should be a few pre-conversion kombis/ PVs for sale.

Here's a list of the vans that are currently up for sale...

To source a van, you could do a lot worse than browse the For Sale threads here on the forum. I'm guessing that most of the campers will be traditional side-kitchen/rock 'n' roll bed set-ups, but there should be a few pre-conversion kombis/ PVs for sale.

Here's a list of the vans that are currently up for sale...
Thanks I will check that out & keep watching too - the right one might be along any minute

Reactions: Bav
Hi, I am a complete newby re van buying, and not in the least bit mechanical or practical either so I need advice please :)

I have a budget of £40k for a van as a second vehicle, or £50k if I sell the car. I have decided I definitely want a VW as it is a similar drive to my Audi, and I hired a couple of T6s and liked driving them (I won't say enjoyed, as driving is a means-to-an-end for me). I also need a 2 burner hob, sink and fridge (I love van cooking and did the entire Xmas dinner in the T6 we hired).

Is it better value if I buy ready-made rather than use a conversion company (and if the latter, how fair is the price if they source the van on your behalf)? The massive advantage of conversion is that as I am only 5' 2", I can have a U-shaped lounge that I can sit on with my feet on the floor with comfort. And, as there are only 2 of us plus the dog, if the van was in addition to the car, then I wouldn't need rear seatbelts (though Cascade do U shape + seatbelts) and the only company I can find is Retro Fitted for this style. Has anyone used either company? And finally, does anyone have views on how well a U-shaped lounge holds its value compared to usual layouts? They are unusual, so does that make it a selling point, or a 'weird, no thanks' point for future buyers? Not a massive consideration for at least 4 years, but still something I am thinking about...

Just want to say how friendly & helpful everyone on here is Thanks so much as I am full of daft questions and unique requirements and I really appreciate all your help and advice

Just want to say how friendly & helpful everyone on here is Thanks so much as I am full of daft questions and unique requirements and I really appreciate all your help and advice
Haha! Told you we don't bite! ;)

As all the above, hold fire rather than rush in…..keep browsing this forum and you’ll pick up LOTS of info and guidance.

Don’t worry about resale value - it will be what it will be. Focus most on your needs and aspirations.

I am on my second California Beach and my only regret is that I didn’t buy one sooner! I use it as a daily too and I have spunked soooo much money on Freelanders and Discoveries before it. Nothing beats my Cali for versatility and fun. (We just spent 4 hours on the roads today getting away for a few days - two kids and two dogs on board - when SWMBO piped up with “I love our van!)

I'm thinking of selling my 16 plate T30 LWB 180PS DSG Panel-Van

Back