What waterprooofer for Reimo pop top fabric???

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just wondering what the recommended waterproofer is to treat the fabric on my Reimo pop top?

It's been faultless in the 4 or so years its been fitted until Cornwall this Easter, the rain came through a little, only on the exposed side where the wind was blowing on to it.

Wanting to get it treated on the next dry (?!) day, I know we used to use fabsil years ago on tents etc but not sure if there is a modern/better alternative??

Thanks!

@JOG swears by some builders dampseal or similar.
I have a 6 year old Reimo pop top, while I use the van a lot it’s mostly with the roof down, never had an issue with leakage so far.
Are you sure it’s not the open sky zips leaking a bit?

Just wondering what the recommended waterproofer is to treat the fabric on my Reimo pop top?

It's been faultless in the 4 or so years its been fitted until Cornwall this Easter, the rain came through a little, only on the exposed side where the wind was blowing on to it.

Wanting to get it treated on the next dry (?!) day, I know we used to use fabsil years ago on tents etc but not sure if there is a modern/better alternative??

Thanks!
I was always told not to waterproof the canvas on the pop top. The idea was that the thread swells when wet and tightens up enough to keep water from penetrating. So far so good.
I’d be tempted to retest first with a fairly gentle hose… may just have been particular circumstances of that day and it might not happen again?

I was always told not to waterproof the canvas on the pop top. The idea was that the thread swells when wet and tightens up enough to keep water from penetrating. So far so good.
I’d be tempted to retest first with a fairly gentle hose… may just have been particular circumstances of that day and it might not happen again?
I have waterproofed tents and awnings but have never had to waterproof my pop top bellows

With the rain we’ve been having of late added to a side wind I wouldn’t be surprised by having a little leakage through zips etc as has been said.

I’ve got some fabsil to reproof my poptop canvas as I plan to clean it. I haven’t used it yet but after a bit of research I thought that would be the best option. Not sure what the material actually is on a reimo roof, mine is a heavy canvas but I think some may have more modern material and so this could impact the choice.

With the rain we’ve been having of late added to a side wind I wouldn’t be surprised by having a little leakage through zips etc as has been said.

I’ve got some fabsil to reproof my poptop canvas as I plan to clean it. I haven’t used it yet but after a bit of research I thought that would be the best option. Not sure what the material actually is on a reimo roof, mine is a heavy canvas but I think some may have more modern material and so this could impact the choice.
The material used is a valid point. Could it be condensation?

I’ve been researching this just this morning as my ‘new to me’ vans Reimo was leaking a little on a trip. I found this on the Reimo site and it recommends impregnation spray (!) and says it is breathable. I have Nikwax spray I used for my breathable waterproof hiking gears so I’m assuming that’ll do the job! IMG_9928.jpeg

This is what I was advised to use every year by Autohaus, who fitted our Reimo roof:

I got a bottle through Autohaus, not sure how easy it is to find otherwise. Used it once, bottle will last for years. It’s got wet a couple of times and is fine (but the roof didn’t leak before either). Currently in Shetland with the roof down due to the wind, not the rain!

Back