What's my van worth??

The first camper I bought 4 years ago from Bilbo’s had just one slider by the cooker. The glass in the sliding door was fixed so I would say, based on a professional converter getting it right, that yes just one slider is ok.
I would prefer not to have a sliding window.

Sorry I misread your post and as you say the DLVA website is very unclear as to what they want/expect.

• The vehicle must have at least one side window
  • New! Since 2011 the DVLA are now asking that the vehicle look like a motor caravan from the outside. The details are yet unclear what is required. More information will appear here when available.

Yes so as long as I have windows on the sides, (behind the driver/passenger door it doesn't need to open. Thats good. Thanks

This is the evidence we were advised to supply by our conversion company when reclassifying our van. It went through without issue (December).

CLASSIFICATION CHANGE OF VEHICLE TO A CAMPERVAN VIA DVLA FOLLOWING A CONVERSION

PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF:
  • POP TOP ROOF
  • FURNITURE UNIT
  • GAS LOCKER
  • HOOK UP POINT
  • BED UP AND DOWN
  • TABLE IN POSITION
  • COOKING FACILITIES
  • WARDROBE

DVLA do have a list of requirements on the gov.uk website: Converting a vehicle into a motorhome

Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:
  • a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

They also tell you how to change V5C classification and what is required on the same page.

Our side windows behind the B pillar do not open.

Last edited:
I remember someone on here also getting a side letter from the dvla that a diesel fuelled hob would also meet the requirements, even though this is not explicitly mentioned in the current guidance notes.

I remember someone on here also getting a side letter from the dvla that a diesel fuelled hob would also meet the requirements, even though this is not explicitly mentioned in the current guidance notes.
We have a Wallas diesel hob/heater, no issues with dvla.

Hello All, we have just had the van converted with a 130RIB bed and slimline units. It has been fitted with a single burner/ sink as a double one wouldn't fit. Question is, has anyone been refused change of classification with a single burner as the DVLA states it must be a two ring burner.20190208_102248.jpg 20190208_102223.jpg

In the past I’ve convert 3 vans and had log books changed and have never had a problem nor was I asked to present the van to an inspector.

Admittedly the last one was done about 7 years ago so the process might have changed but I just did the paperwork and included many photos for evidence. I was never asked to bring the van in for a check but don’t know if this has changed?

As for not being 100% on paper shouldn’t matter, if all the other elements are present then this should be deemed to be a minor issue which they probably won’t spot.

Good luck!

Many people ask questions similar to this on here and on FB and no one seems to get problems not satisfying the criteria in detail, I think as long as you show it is a ‘proper’ camper and has cooking/cleaning/sleeping facilities integrated Into the vehicle then generally you are ok

Can't see from your pics, do you have any windows in the rear at all?

You may fall foul of the below DVLA rules. If yours still looks like a van you may have issues. :whistle:

Outside
  • New! Since 2011 the DVLA are now asking that the vehicle look like a motor caravan from the outside. The details are yet unclear what is required. More information will appear here when available.

Can't see from your pics, do you have any windows in the rear at all?

You may fall foul of the below DVLA rules. If yours still looks like a van you may have issues. :whistle:

Outside
We have a side window in the sliding door and a window in the tailgate. Everything else is Ok with DVLA's requirements. Fingers crossed the person who deals with our van isn't too picky about the hob.

We have a side window in the sliding door and a window in the tailgate. Everything else is Ok with DVLA's requirements. Fingers crossed the person who deals with our van isn't too picky about the hob.
Keep us updated, would be interested to hear how you get on. :thumbsup:

Having a microwave or a picture of one in the van gets round this problem too. As it's an And/Or appliance with respect to a two burner hob.

Similar issue with how the hob is fuelled. Requirement states it's must be fuelled by gas or electric. Yet diesel is becoming more popular. But your not telling lies if you say a diesel hob is electrically 'operated' in your letter to DVLA.

If a California Beach can be classified as a Motor Caravan (and it is by the DVLA) then you don't need any more than a bed!!

Back