Whining noise (like the wind) after installing coilovers? Damage to driveshaft or bearings or something else?

AshHT6

Hi all,

I installed some stx coilovers the weekend with the help of youtube. I've always done the brakes on my vehicles but never done suspension work before.

I'm sure I've installed everything correctly and the van drives so much nicer with no bangs or knocks etc...

But....

I'm sure I can hear a noise that sounds like the wind if that makes sense. Similar to road noise but in addition.

Could I have damaged the driveshaft, cv joint or some bearings when taking it all apart and its a rotary noise?

I did read a thread on here when someone's top mounts were transmitting road noise after installing coilovers, could it be that?

Sorry for the long message and thanks in advance for any help!

I'm running the same 16" wheels and tyres currently and it's been lowered by 80mm on the front and 60-65mm on the back. I might tweak this at some point.

Here's the van now. It's looking so much better!

1000032535.jpg

1000032536.jpg

1000032535.jpg

I can only add my personal experience which may be totally unrelated so beware: after changing my suspension the wheels needed aligning. The whirring sound stopped.

I can only add my personal experience which may be totally unrelated so beware: after changing my suspension the wheels needed aligning. The whirring sound stopped.
I hope you're right. I'm planning on getting that done but wasn't sure if it's best to wait until I switch my wheels and tyres? I'm looking at some 18" wheels.

Thanks

I hope you're right. I'm planning on getting that done but wasn't sure if it's best to wait until I switch my wheels and tyres? I'm looking at some 18" wheels.

Thanks
There are people on here who can give a categorical on that but personally I would wait until everything is how you want it then get aligned.

80mm drop will add quite a bit of toe out. That can cause tyre noise.A quick 5min test would be to adjust a track rod a few turns. If successful you know it was that and you should get it aligned either way.

80mm drop will add quite a bit of toe out. That can cause tyre noise.A quick 5min test would be to adjust a track rod a few turns. If successful you know it was that and you should get it aligned either way.
I'll have a look at that. I'll definitely get it aligned. Thanks

Back