Wi-Fi on move

Old Jabez

Hello gang,
I’m considering purchasing a Wi-Fi-on-the-go and there’s a shedload out there. Has anyone had any experience, if so, please share. I’m aware you get what you pay for, but I draw the line at shelling out £700 quid which will allow streaming on Mars.
Need something that is reliable for work and TV streaming.
Thanks.

The choices you need to consider that increase spend are:

If you need reliable coverage at all times in a lot of places you might need a cross network SIM so you can use all networks, or a dual SIM device and 2 contracts.

If you want the best signal or are in more fringe areas you will want to have a non phone class device that can use higher power transmission and have external antenna to get out of the semi shielded metal box.

Consider what you really need and how much you want to pay for the redundancy and convenience - you can get a lot of coverage out of an old/cheap phone in hotspot mode and a GiffGaff SIM.

I’ve got unlimited data on my phone so I can hotspot a firestick for the tv. 2 or 3 bars of 4G I can stream hd movies on Netflix.
It works great
Also wife and young lass hotspot off my phone.
I’m on 02 and they have the best coverage around Scotland anyway.

When we travel we have my phone on EE, work's phone on Vodafone and MrsRT on O2(GiffGaff) so we're fairly covered and hotspot whatever has good signal.

I'm not sure who does the backhaul for Cubic Telecom for the vans built in LTE yet, but I tend to keep data on that too as being non phone it has quite good reach in fringe areas but is limited to when the ignition is on unfortunately.

Don't pay over the odds for unlimited, I'm constantly surprised how little I use on the road (unless I'm actively working in which case it's hours of video calls or remote desktop)

I'm a great fan of GiffGaff - uses the O2 network and you can get a non contract SIM and just add monthly data goodybags to it. I'd recommend it for trying things and seeing if it works for you and how much you use as it's very low commitment, even if you end up deciding to go elsewhere once you know what you need.

By shafted do you mean they broke their own terms and conditions?

I've used them for years, currently have 2 phones, 1 temporary event phone and 3 backup 4G routers (for events) and never had an issue with them

By shafted do you mean they broke their own terms and conditions?

I've used them for years, currently have 2 phones, 1 temporary event phone and 3 backup 4G routers (for events) and never had an issue with them
I was always a Virgin, until O2 took them on. The monthly fee is now a whopping £7.58 for unlimited data, minutes and texts. Potentially something to do with my 20 years plus using them. Coverage is excellent, never an issue anywhere.

If the sub for starlink was half the price then no question, starlink

I have a mifi netgear on ee and it works but a lot of the sites I goto have crap signal

Starlink would sort that, mini dish coming out soon for it also

I was always a Virgin, until O2 took them on. The monthly fee is now a whopping £7.58 for unlimited data, minutes and texts. Potentially something to do with my 20 years plus using them. Coverage is excellent, never an issue anywhere.
You are lucky, ever since they swapped me over to O2 coverage in area I go is rubbish. Especially when there are big crowds.

I have admittingly not cheap circa £700 Netgear Nighthawk M6, partnered with its relatively inexpensive add on Ariel.

Nighthawk M6 WiFi 6 Mobile Hotspot 5G Router - MR6150 - NETGEAR

Since I have had it we have not had issues getting decent signal anywhere when we have been away (Places we have been since getting it: Lake District, Yorkshire Moors, North and South Wales, and remote parts of Perthshire). This includes a number of times when our phones have not had signal yet this thing has produced more than 20mbps minimum. Seen it produce over 300mbps on 4G and over 700mbps on 5G.

It uses a thing called Carrier Aggregation which is a technique used to increase the data rate per user, whereby multiple frequency mobile blocks are assigned to the same user. Meaning using one sim card it asks for the same data across multiple frequencies and then combines them together, to give increased reliability and ultimately speed.

I keep the main M6 in cupboard velcroid to the side out of the way, the add on Ariel then sits on top between cupboard and upper bed board, Occasional if the signal is not great I have let the Ariel hang down vertically over the cupboard, as signals are directional. This change has then resulted in improved coverage.

Originally I had planned to get a roof mounted GSM shark fin, but do not see the need now, as the current setup has performed without flaw.

The kids stream as we are driving and not had any drop out the whole time we have used it, and drive through a lot of black spots. I have used the M6 on its own on the train from Aberdeen to London for work, and noticed no issues- normally have issues using just hotspot on phone or using the train wifi.

In it I use one if the pre-paid preloaded sim cards - which over the time equates to about £12/m for unlimited data.

IMG_1188.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1189.jpeg

If anyone is morbidly interested a more technical explanation of CA with diagrams is here

Interesting point is that this is generally only a trick that can pulled off in good coverage areas. Since 3G/UMTS days cells don't just operate in fixed frequencies per connection they use a single shared frequency and spread spectrum techniques that started in military use. Downside of this is if you want to aggregate frequencies you can only do that across cells, so it only works where your device can reach more than one.

But this is an aspect where a device will always win over a phone. What limits your connection is the not the power of the radio in the cell but the power of the radio in your device. Any phone has to limit the power to a certain peak and average level because it's assumed to be physically held next to your body for much of it's time. Devices such as routers or laptops have much higher limits so can hold connections further out and do more with them.

A key thing to look out for when buying a more router like device is it's LTE Category. Theoretically they go quite high but for practical purposes you'll find 2 common ones on the market. Cat 4 devices have a single spread spectrum band radio with 2 antenna and can achieve speeds of 150Mbps downstream and 50Mbps upstream, Cat 6 devices have 2 spread spectrum band radios with 2 antenna and can achieve 300Mbps downstream and 50Mbps upstream.

It's worth noting that to do this they need support on the network side too - higher categories use more of a cells resources for one connection so it can serve less people so, unsurprisingly, the ability to do so tends to only come with the higher priced contracts. For similar reasons more rural cells may not offer the ability even if you've paid for it if they need the bandwidth for other connections.

If you're buying a LTE Router than at least make sure it's Cat 4. All the ones I use are Cat 4 and to be honest I never hit the limit on them even doing remote work. If you want future proofing and peak performance get a Cat 6 devices - but to make the most of it ensure the contract on the SIM allows you to use the higher speeds. There are Cat 12 and 16 devices appearing now but in general they're not going to make much difference they'll just cost you more.

The Netgear Nighthawk pretty much implements every possible option making it massively capable but with a price tag to match as it has an extensive radio layer. It is however regarded as one of the most capable and bombproof mobile devices out there (without getting into the industrial ones) and yes I do wish I had one :thumbsup:

Calling all comm’s nerds.
Can somebody explain why having WiFi on the move is advantageous over simply buying the mobile data package to do what you need to do.

Calling all comm’s nerds.
Can somebody explain why having WiFi on the move is advantageous over simply buying the mobile data package to do what you need to do.

If you mean on your own phone then I answered that above:

But this is an aspect where a device will always win over a phone. What limits your connection is the not the power of the radio in the cell but the power of the radio in your device. Any phone has to limit the power to a certain peak and average level because it's assumed to be physically held next to your body for much of it's time. Devices such as routers or laptops have much higher limits so can hold connections further out and do more with them.

If you mean on a T6.1 buying the data from Cubic Telecom then:

• It's only available while the ignition is on
  • It's quite expensive for what it is and it has odd time limits
I have both methods as it happens. The van's LTE connection is pretty good so, for me, it's worth spend the cash to have 60Gb a year of connectivity to hand, though I no longer use it as much for streaming radio since the BBC radios vanished.

Back