Would you buy a T6 post alternator, belt and mechatronics replacement?

Addradz

I’m weighing up the risk and potential benefits in buying a 2016 T6 tdi340 comfortline that’s had the alternator, belt and mechatronics unit replaced last year? In one hand the seller has been open about it and the car otherwise has a full service history. Problems have hopefully been identified and addressed. On the other hand It could indicate follow on problems occurring from something that hasn’t been fully resolved? Worth the risk?

How many miles / km since the remedial work was completed?
There’s a gamble with every purchase, if the price is right you need to trust your gut feeling. Unlikely that anybody else other than you will have a better insight into the risk.

The mechatronics unit was replaced in August last year, its done about 10000k's since
New aux drive belt and tensioner replaced November 23.
the tensioner wasn't done properly when the belt was replaced originally so thats why the alternator and air con unit were replaced.

I took it for a test drive this afternoon. Felt fine, the gearbox wasn't as smooth as my TDI 2014 golf, especially when cold and i put my foot down. Maybe a bit of a suspension noise in the passenger rear but typical van noise to me. Everything other than the mechanical elements are excellent seeing how its got 245000 on the clock. Minor stone chips and denting on front and rear panels. newish tyres on the front worn on the sides which appears to be a thing with T6's as the drive torque goes through the steering of the front end. Full service history and very upfront and pleasant sellers. If the mechanic inspection doesn't reveal anything unexpected I'll probably go for it.

10K Km is a good proving run I’d say.
I can’t imagine why a bad aux’ belt tensioner would require a new alternator and AC compressor but it’s not your cost.

Back