Your longest trip away

Dunkeld/Aberfeldy/Pitlochry area
Lovely area. We lived in Moray for nearly 10 years and loved it. Beaches, mountains and a more relaxed life style. Much better weather than the west or Highlands but still 5deg colder than down south! Not 100% sure if I’d move back permanently, as it’s just a bit too far from family, but certainly visit often.

Lovely area. We lived in Moray for nearly 10 years and loved it. Beaches, mountains and a more relaxed life style. Much better weather than the west or Highlands but still 5deg colder than down south! Not 100% sure if I’d move back permanently, as it’s just a bit too far from family, but certainly visit often.
And no Midges! :rofl:

As you say, decent quality of life but still within reasonable reach of civilization. Oh and house prices... compared to down here in the SE. Don't get me started on what 300k gets you here vs there!!! :rofl::mad:

And no Midges! :rofl:

As you say, decent quality of life but still within reasonable reach of civilization. Oh and house prices... compared to down here in the SE. Don't get me started on what 300k gets you here vs there!!! :rofl::mad:
They used to be even cheaper! Lovely 4/5 double bed, detached stone Victorian house with big garden for under £100k in Moray. Then people started buying from down south and the prices rocketed and a few years later the same house was £450k. Still better value than many areas of England though!

They used to be even cheaper! Lovely 4/5 double bed, detached stone Victorian house with big garden for under £100k in Moray. Then people started buying from down south and the prices rocketed and a few years later the same house was £450k. Still better value than many areas of England though!
Yep, 300k gets you a 2 bed terrace with no garage, no driveway, 2 up 2 down in a 'decent' area round here. If you want to live in an actual nice village, or have a driveway, or no neighbors on each side, then you're onto 400k or more.

Anyway, I can feel this taking a bit of a tangent... :rofl:

Perhaps I can modify the question a little and say "how long have you stayed away, off grid in the van". My answer to that would be about two weeks. Last Christmas and New Year time on my trip to the Orkney Isles. A good test for the solar system and my resilience during the diabolical weather. Looking forward to doing Shetland and all the Scottish lighthouses next year..in the summer months. That's if I can afford next years insurance. I'm getting stung so badly now because of my age and Central London address. Cheapest comprehensive quote by £500 I can find anywhere after adding all the security bells and whistles is now over £1200.

I just use mine for getting to place. Usually Slovakia a few times a year with excursions to Czech Republic and Austria, however presently say down past Rome in Italy with it albeit again using it to move around in rather than stay in as its just a shuttle.

View attachment 256274

Outer Hebrides, Barra and the Uists, then Harris and Lewis.

1300 odd miles each time for a fortnight trip from Stockport.

Another circular route of Scotland planned for next May. This time I’ll be doing it with my son and we’ll make a documentary, In the manner of the numerous father/son travelogues on the telly over the last few years. Lighthouses will be the main theme but the West coast and Outer Hebrides will include a number of ferries. The whole trip will take no more than ten days because of my sons work commitments.
Once over the border we turn left for the iconic Mull of Galloway. We’ll then head North again to catch a ferry across to Dunoon continuing up towards Oban for the Ferry to Barra. Apparently the Outer Hebrides is a 150 mile road trip using six causeways, bridges and two ferries. Should be lots of filming opportunities in that part and maybe even some pubs. :whistle: Back on the mainland again and after visiting Cape Wrath lighthouse that marks the Western end of the Pentland Firth we’ll head inland past Inverness to the Scottish Lighthouse museum at Fraserburgh. Finally along the Firth of Forth and down to St Abbs Head, just North of Berwick on Tweed.
With GoPros, regular cameras, a drone and clip on microphones we’ll record all the good, bad, funny and ugly bits. It means a daunting amount of editing but hopefully we’ll make something watchable.

Another circular route of Scotland planned for next May. This time I’ll be doing it with my son and we’ll make a documentary, In the manner of the numerous father/son travelogues on the telly over the last few years. Lighthouses will be the main theme but the West coast and Outer Hebrides will include a number of ferries. The whole trip will take no more than ten days because of my sons work commitments.
Once over the border we turn left for the iconic Mull of Galloway. We’ll then head North again to catch a ferry across to Dunoon continuing up towards Oban for the Ferry to Barra. Apparently the Outer Hebrides is a 150 mile road trip using six causeways, bridges and two ferries. Should be lots of filming opportunities in that part and maybe even some pubs. :whistle: Back on the mainland again and after visiting Cape Wrath lighthouse that marks the Western end of the Pentland Firth we’ll head inland past Inverness to the Scottish Lighthouse museum at Fraserburgh. Finally along the Firth of Forth and down to St Abbs Head, just North of Berwick on Tweed.
With GoPros, regular cameras, a drone and clip on microphones we’ll record all the good, bad, funny and ugly bits. It means a daunting amount of editing but hopefully we’ll make something watchable.
That is a LOT in 10 days!

Reactions: CAB
Five weeks for me on a roadtrip through France. That was two adults and three kids in our LWB T6 camper so fair to say space was at a premium…

Did Tuscany in our old Bay Window. Furthest so far in the T6 was Budapest this summer to watch the F1. Stopped in Amsterdam, Germany somewhere for the night, Prague, Seefeld in Austria and back via an unplanned visit to Spa for the F1 :cool:

Only 2 weeks each time due to holiday constraints!

That is a LOT in 10 days!
Did Tuscany in our old Bay Window. Furthest so far in the T6 was Budapest this summer to watch the F1. Stopped in Amsterdam, Germany somewhere for the night, Prague, Seefeld in Austria and back via an unplanned visit to Spa for the F1 :cool:

Only 2 weeks each time due to holiday constraints!
We've done a number of these whistle stop tours. A few years back we did a 1400 mile top gear style "best driving roads' in England and Wales in three days. Then a year later hired a car in Edinburgh to do a similar circuit of Scotland in three days. In 2022 my son and a team mate cycled the NC 500 in four days with me as a support vehicle.

Are you planning the Butt of Lewis?

Also Eilean Glas Lighthouse on Scalpay, over the bridge from Harris, is incredibly atmospheric. One of the first batch of 4 lighthouses in Scotland.

A long drive, then a few miles walk on a good path, or an easily navigable but harder walk around the coast.

And a great tea shop!

Are you planning the Butt of Lewis?

Also Eilean Glas Lighthouse on Scalpay, over the bridge from Harris, is incredibly atmospheric. One of the first batch of 4 lighthouses in Scotland.

A long drive, then a few miles walk on a good path, or an easily navigable but harder walk around the coast.

And a great tea shop!
I was hoping get from Barra Head lighthouse at the extreme Southern end up to the Butt of Lewis. Unfortunately Barra Head is an isolated island about 2 miles south of Castlebay on Barra. Impossible without a boat but with clear weather and a long lens perhaps I can get a photo. So it'll be just the Butt. Thanks for the Eilean Glas info I hadn't realised there was a bridge. It's one of the Stevensons classics so If we're under time pressure we might have to miss the pubs at Stornaway o_O

I was hoping get from Barra Head lighthouse at the extreme Southern end up to the Butt of Lewis. Unfortunately Barra Head is an isolated island about 2 miles south of Castlebay on Barra. Impossible without a boat but with clear weather and a long lens perhaps I can get a photo. So it'll be just the Butt. Thanks for the Eilean Glas info I hadn't realised there was a bridge. It's one of the Stevensons classics so If we're under time pressure we might have to miss the pubs at Stornaway o_O
Looking at Google Maps, I don't think you can see it from Barra or Vatersay, as Mingulay is directly in the way and is quite hilly and very close to it in comparison. I certainly can't recall seeing it when we walked to Vatersay's south coast.

I think there are boat day trips from Castlebay out to some of those southern islands which will get you closer.

Make sure you do the Isle of Harris Brewery at Leverburgh (its right on the harbour) - the Belgian Saison is incredible! Also you will pass the Loomshed brewery outlet on the way to Scalpay :thumbsup:

The Uists/Eriskay/Benbecula are stunning. Spent some time on South Uist as a kiddie while my Dad worked there and we still have a de-crofted cottage that we let the whole family use. Even set the story of one of my books on the Western Isles.

Mrs Sasquatch retires Easter 2026 and we may move there.
Bet you don’t call her that to her face ? :rofl:

Looking at Google Maps, I don't think you can see it from Barra or Vatersay, as Mingulay is directly in the way and is quite hilly and very close to it in comparison. I certainly can't recall seeing it when we walked to Vatersay's south coast.

I think there are boat day trips from Castlebay out to some of those southern islands which will get you closer.

Make sure you do the Isle of Harris Brewery at Leverburgh (its right on the harbour) - the Belgian Saison is incredible! Also you will pass the Loomshed brewery outlet on the way to Scalpay :thumbsup:
It seems you have me and my interests correct @CAB. Unfortunately, as I said at the beginning we'll be under time pressure because of my sons work commitments. However, although he's not particularly interested in history or lighthouses, we are both interested in beer and whisky. I feel a modified theme to the film coming on. :grin bounce:

Back