Bed foam - size, type, firmness?

TallPaul_S

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm making my own bed frame using aluminium profile, and IKEA bed slats which are 50mm x 10mm thick. There's going to be 3x 'frames' so 3 lots of slats, running lengthways.

1000007595.jpg

It'll be for one person, bed width around 75cm wide, I'm 80kg or so.

So, out of the myriad of bed foam choices, what's best?

I've found Foam cut to size & upholstery foam - UK's largest foam store to be decent with a good range of choice. Currently looking at 4" thick, out of 'Reflex Superior (firm)' which is a semi memory foam type, foam.

1000007596.png

Any thoughts? What have you got, and would you have gone thicker or thinner that you have?

Front. Don't judge me! :rofl:
Niche choice!

I haven't used aftermarket foam as I have a Cali but that has about 25mm dense memory foam over wooden slats and I'm a 90kg side sleeper so theoretically worse for comfort and I find that acceptable with a sleeping bag.

Just incase you needed more storage space you might be able to go slimmer. Obviously your mileage may vary and comfort is very subjective.

Niche choice!

I haven't used aftermarket foam as I have a Cali but that has about 25mm dense memory foam over wooden slats and I'm a 90kg side sleeper so theoretically worse for comfort and I find that acceptable with a sleeping bag.

Just incase you needed more storage space you might be able to go slimmer. Obviously your mileage may vary and comfort is very subjective.
Oh wow, didn't realise the Cali mattress was that thin!

I see the Jerba pop top also has a slatted base and uses a 30mm mattress.

Interesting, thanks. I'm not too limited by height as it's not in a pop top.

I'll be using a square type sleeping bag too, which will add a little comfort. Might go for 2" foam.

I used efoam to make my bed cushions.

We went for 5inches thickness with 2inch of memory foam on top. We slept on rock and roll bed before and found it very uncomfortable and the cushions that came with the van furniture looked really thin.

We’ve only slept on it for a few occasions so far but I’m really pleased with it. It was delivered quite quickly as I recall as well.

IMG_6402.jpeg

Back