Can a double passenger seat base be raised?

T6_FunBus

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi guys,

I fancy switching out my jbl bass pro nano for my audison apbx8, it’s so close to fitting, I temporarily did a sound and fit check with and sounds absolutely great even down fire with an angled installation, the seat base will close, but the ridges on the underside make contact and press into the sub box. I am not comfortable with a passenger sitting and it pressing into the box, so switched back to the bass pro for now. I do not want to put the APBX in the back as I need all the space I can get in the back, and under seat is just wasted space for me.

The issue is the indentation in the rear of the seat base. I literally only need a few mm for it to fit in, does anyone know of a way to raise the flip up seat base at all? Thanks.

IMG_2904.jpeg

So I’ve just seen this thread:

I figured the bump was there for structure and didn’t want to weaken the base, but maybe it is ok to just cut it out and plate the back?

Seen a few places where people have done this, so I am going to chop one hump out and plate the back to reinforce it.

Rather than chop it out, I decided to use a mallet and a block to flatten the top down. Then I carpeted it, fitted the Audison, and then made a carpeted bar to lock the subwoofer in place without damaging it. Sounds bloody awesome and not going anywhere :)

IMG_2933.jpegIMG_2932.jpegIMG_2934.jpeg

Bass / Electronic / Trap House are my genres.
In Son2’s first car we bought him a subwoofer and amplifier set and it was awesome. When he bought a van to convert for a trip to Scotland with his mates, we transferred the sub. When I bought that van I enjoyed my commute for a year because of the sub.

I dream about fitting a sub in the camper.

My Co-driver is the issue. Apparently my music makes her feel very angry.

Go for it! I’ve got a simple Sony ax3250, running the aftermarket alpine kit and now with an apbx8 in the passenger seat bin. The Alpines take a little EQing, but only one frequency really on the mid-high end around 2-4k to minus a few DB, then it sounds perfect.

The ApBX8 was a bit of a squeeze, in the end I had to ‘flatten’ a few of the ribs on the seat a little bit and also ‘flatten’ the hump on the inside of the bottom. I carpeted the hump after as it wasn’t 100% uniform just to make it look better and provide some cushioning for the sub box.

I wouldn’t personally go for the audison if I did it from scratch, I would buy a purpose made kit that fits. I only fitted this one was just because I had it left over from another vehicle, and it was a £500 sub just sat around in the garage and I didn’t want it to go to waste :) So out came the hammer!

I did some testing last night with sub gain and lot etc and got it sounding pretty much perfect, very happy.

Back