Chameleon Tinting Front Windows

Ralpher

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi folks, I have a Pure Grey T6.1, and I'm thinking of having a Chameleon tint installed. I know the windscreen has to let 75% light through and thee sides 70%, so I'm not looking for legal advice.

Some Chameleon tints are road legal but I'd like to hear from anyone who actually has a legal tint of this sort. I'm not sure what the factory tint I already have is, so again, if anyone knows what it's likely to be, I'd appreciate their input.

Not sure what colour tint would look best with the Pure Grey, so once again, I'd love to hear.

Thankies all :)

Pure grey, legal chameleon which is only visible in certain light/angles. No different looking out.

Pure grey, legal chameleon which is only visible in certain light/angles. No different looking out.
Don't all chameleon tints have a % amount of light blocking, therefore how can there be no difference looking out?
Do you have any evidence that it is a legal tint, to show Mr Plod when he takes an interest?

I have a red tint on the front and blue / red on the sides although its almost always blue due to the angle.

It shows a yellowish tinge looking out and one downside is crazy reflections coming back, especially on the drivers side window at night however oddly not in the really important zone around the wing mirror view.

Mine were tested after fitting using the same pro tint testing machine that the Kent police all use. I have photos etc

If you are in Kent I can recommend a place.

This one, here, has already answered the question…
and what a load of old rubbish it is. The only accurate advice is from the copper and that is an nicely edited video and I have seen various videos from him like this:

That site makes a good point about insurance. Mine are aware that my vehicle is fully tinted to a legal standard on all windows etc. and are fine with it (I have it in writing). Many others might not be.

I've had mine done a while now ....you can't see it's tinted in sunlight or at night. It all depends on the light and angle your looking at it.

You do get a green hue when looking through it particularly in direct sunlight but after a while you don't notice.

1712648772219.png 1712648837457.png
1712648874532.png
1712648953503.png
1712649093775.png

Don't all chameleon tints have a % amount of light blocking, therefore how can there be no difference looking out?
Do you have any evidence that it is a legal tint, to show Mr Plod when he takes an interest?
Yes anything you stick on your glass will reduce light. Even a clear security is a couple of percent. I have a light meter so check install before and after, been doing it 23 years so like to think I know a little about it. Photo taken just now from inside.

image.jpg

Looking at it again they (the people I linked to) gave points which indicate it is possible to be legal and they even gave a video of the same copper saying the same thing about 75% so the definitive ‘it is not legal’ type comment they made does seem a bit overkill.

However if you don’t get it approved by your insurance you may not be covered and a car without insurance, even if the light transmission of the tint is within the boundaries, is not road legal.

Your video also points out a serious potential flaw in that an uncalibrated test device can be out. Think it was 3% in the vid?, that might mean you think you are legal and you might not be.

Moral seems to be get the light transmission checked by a calibrated machine - decent tint shops ought to be able to do this surely?

I appreciate it can look good when done right but I’ve seen some really bad jobs too and it makes the car look a mess. These are often driven as if the stuff let’s no light through!

As long as the VTL value is legal, an insurer won't care about a tint - chameleon or otherwise. Happy to be contradicted by anyone with personal experience.

well thats talking tints and chameleons are not really tints and a meter reading with a chameleon may/will pass depending on the product used blah blah blah
I have a red tint on the front and blue / red on the sides although its almost always blue due to the angle.
Yes anything you stick on your glass will reduce light. Even a clear security is a couple of percent. I have a light meter so check install before and after, been doing it 23 years so like to think I know a little about it.
If VW side windows are already at the legal limit it might be worth getting yours checked?

Yes anything you stick on your glass will reduce light. Even a clear security is a couple of percent. I have a light meter so check install before and after, been doing it 23 years so like to think I know a little about it. Photo taken just now from inside.

View attachment 236284
Thanks for that.
Out of interest, do you get over to Manchester way. Would like to see it, as I have never really looked closely or through a chameleon tinted screen.
I believed that the side windows were already at the legal limit, is that correct?
Also do you know about the legality (or not) of the sold black 'sunscreen'?

Back