Chameleon Tinting Front Windows

Thanks for that.
Out of interest, do you get over to Manchester way. Would like to see it, as I have never really looked closely or through a chameleon tinted screen.
I believed that the side windows were already at the legal limit, is that correct?
Also do you know about the legality (or not) of the sold black 'sunscreen'?
I don’t get over to Manchester, sorry, sure there will be a tint company in Manchester to have a look at. Side windows are around 70% and maybe even stamped at 70% on the glass but always worth checking with a meter and a sample of film to be sure. If I get a minute this week I’ll take some photos with the light meter fitted to different windows. The black sunstrip at the top of mine is fitted to hide a massive stone chip. I normally have a tinted internal one. Legal wise there should be a AS1 marking at the top of the screen, technically that is a low as you can go, I’ve never had a customer come back with a problem or have police comment on mine. If they’re not ridiculously low (below a lowered sun visor) I don’t think you’ll have a problem.

IMG_7518.jpeg

If VW side windows are already at the legal limit it might be worth getting yours checked?
I had them all checked and have the photographic proof from when they were fitted. I have a local tinter who won’t do fronts at all even chameleon and I keep meaning to get another test done as it’s close by :).

I find that part of the driving experience is the ability to communicate to other drivers and pedestrians, the normal human interactions like after you, thanks etc. These tinted windows rob you of this interaction and hence will reduce safety.

I find that part of the driving experience is the ability to communicate to other drivers and pedestrians, the normal human interactions like after you, thanks etc. These tinted windows rob you of this interaction and hence will reduce safety.
chameleons dont stop that though, I mean I can still wave at other drivers and flip off the Transit ones........

Renewing insurance with Brentacre presently. Queried today chameleon tints... Response below. Seems no issue assuming you meet the criteria! Dilemma ahead! Should I or shouldn't I! Mot imminent!.

The Chameleon tints must be within the road legal limit and pass a MOT

I have a red tint on the front and blue / red on the sides although its almost always blue due to the angle.

It shows a yellowish tinge looking out and one downside is crazy reflections coming back, especially on the drivers side window at night however oddly not in the really important zone around the wing mirror view.

Mine were tested after fitting using the same pro tint testing machine that the Kent police all use. I have photos etc

If you are in Kent I can recommend a place.
Hi, yes, I travel to Kent often so I could get it done there. Do you have any pictures also? :)

Renewing insurance with Brentacre presently. Queried today chameleon tints... Response below. Seems no issue assuming you meet the criteria! Dilemma ahead! Should I or shouldn't I! Mot imminent!.

The Chameleon tints must be within the road legal limit and pass a MOT
Interesting. I'm with Brentacre. Wonder what proof they would need that its legal?

Interesting. I'm with Brentacre. Wonder what proof they would need that its legal?
I'd say as per above threads some readings showing % is in line with requirements. Maybe some paperwork from window tinting company. Photo date stamped before (mot) showing chameleon tints and then photo after (mot) showing them on... Perhaps overkill!

So many in NI I find it hard to believe everyone is driving round illegal and insurance void! If I was going I'd prob swap my metro plates.... Might be a tad much! :think smile bounce: maybe the wait for an MOT has lot to explain... First attempt Monday was Sept. Now cancellation for August. MOT Up tomorrow!

Maybe just the fact it has a valid MOT and they assume the tester would fail it if not legal?
Kind of hope it would be more than that as it seems you can get almost anything through an MOT if you know the right people.

On a side note I watched a motorcycle vlog earlier and people write in with various topics - one being bike insurance companies writing off bikes that are nicked then returned, even if not that old (2-3 years). One guy cancelled his claim (an 2021 Motto Guzzi that needed a new starter key switch and steering lock) and fixed his bike for £25 using Aprilia parts. If insurers are going to start that game then I’d worry about anything giving them an excuse not to pay up. If I were getting screen tinted I’d want photos of the test meter in action and a copy of the calibration certificate as a minimum.

Maybe just the fact it has a valid MOT and they assume the tester would fail it if not legal?
Kind of hope it would be more than that as it seems you can get almost anything through an MOT if you know the right people.

On a side note I watched a motorcycle vlog earlier and people write in with various topics - one being bike insurance companies writing off bikes that are nicked then returned, even if not that old (2-3 years). One guy cancelled his claim (an 2021 Motto Guzzi that needed a new starter key switch and steering lock) and fixed his bike for £25 using Aprilia parts. If insurers are going to start that game then I’d worry about anything giving them an excuse not to pay up. If I were getting screen tinted I’d want photos of the test meter in action and a copy of the calibration certificate as a minimum.
Window tint isn’t checked as part of MOT

That’s not a new thing. In 2009 I had a 3 month old Triumph Speed Triple written off because It had a scratch on the frame after a very slow speed ‘involuntary tactical dismount’. I guy bought it off compart.

@harveyj09 I knew you would know! Seems like another grey area! Or rainbow area, spending on your tiny or persuasion! Lol. Out of curiosity how easy would a chameleon tint film be to take off if needed... Also assume no impact to either film or heated window operation?

Seeing as headlights are checked and yet we need a study into dazzling causing too many accidents it doesn’t surprise me modified windscreens get a free pass. Another area where laws/guidance etc isn’t keeping up.

@harveyj09 I knew you would know! Seems like another grey area! Or rainbow area, spending on your tiny or persuasion! Lol. Out of curiosity how easy would a chameleon tint film be to take off if needed... Also assume no impact to either film or heated window operation?
The ones I’ve removed off windscreens has come off easy and left no residue/glue behind. Once removed it can’t be re used. The front heated screen is in the laminate so no chance of damaging that. Heated rear window film removal can in some instances damage the element. As a quick note some of the darker chameleon tint looks terrible from the inside, one I removed. Lighter section at top where a sunstrip had been fitted.

IMG_4367.jpeg

The ones I’ve removed off windscreens has come off easy and left no residue/glue behind. Once removed it can’t be re used. The front heated screen is in the laminate so no chance of damaging that. Heated rear window film removal can in some instances damage the element. As a quick note some of the darker chameleon tint looks terrible from the inside, one I removed. Lighter section at top where a sunstrip had been fitted.

View attachment 236453
Thank you for taking time to reply. Spot on.

some of the darker chameleon tint looks terrible from the inside
Looks like it not only blocks too much light but colour too, making determining hazards harder.
And yet it would sail through an MOT unchallenged.

My camper is invisible enough to some drivers, when I’m out on the motorbike or pedal bike I appreciate I’m harder to see and yet people can get away with this - something else to add more danger to a shared space.

Back