How noisy is a poptop to drive

Hi, picked up the camper this weeken.

Pros:
- I have a VW camper
- It has a diesel heater (did not know that)
- My 13 year old loves it (and he is not on his Xbox) - happy days ahead
- We spent the evening at Worthing (Goring) and got our first VW wave (highlight)

Cons:
- Although final test drive no squeak - it’s back (but only on bumps / uneven road)
- Spent today silicon lub the rubbers & mechanics (and cleaned bodywork where it sits)
- Pull straps down hard off we go and it stops for a while but starts again a few miles later (sometime. straps have loosed slightly by themselves)
- driving - push roof up slightly or pull down hard and it stops.
- Common theme - can stop it for a while then comes back

Anyone got any ideas and how to eliminate stuff?
Get yourself a set of these. They are secure and so much better than the straps

Looks good.
But with such short straps how to you handle reaching up to to pull the pop top down?

With regard to the straps vs Quickpop - my straps are at the front and I thought leaving them in situ may provide more strength if the wind got up?

Have seen this but wasn’t sure. Gonna order some

The other thing about those Quickpops is that they don't work with all roofs - there's a minimum distance needed between the 'staples' (ie. strap anchor points) and my roof doen't have it. Having looked into them, I was also concerned that there wasn’t enough strap to really let you get hold of them to pull down tight but as I say, I never got the chance to find out.

The other thing about those Quickpops is that they don't work with all roofs - there's a minimum distance needed between the 'staples' (ie. strap anchor points) and my roof doen't have it. Having looked into them, I was also concerned that there wasn’t enough strap to really let you get hold of them to pull down tight but as I say, I never got the chance to find out.
Yeah I was worried about both of those issues but my long straps are now doing my head in so will give these ones a try.

I've been using these straps for nearly 8 years. They pull down easily and the cam holds them securely. Each strap is rated to either 250 kg or 500 kg.
I can't remember which.
The strap is about 150mm or 6 inches too long and tucks away behind cam.
I have never had a problem in over 100,000 km of travelling. 20240423_162113.jpg20240423_162043.jpg20240423_162037.jpg

Hi Jog, have ordered some from Dubstyling - mine are superb short and hard to pull so gone for longer ones (old ones seam a bit brittle / warn).

As a new to this assume making super tight then able to slide them left to right right with slight pressure is not right.

Hi Jog,

Watched some videos I was single threading them - the videos look like you should do it twice before locking them in so will try that also got longer straps that look sharper / less slippery (if that makes sense).

First weekend trip out in a couple of weeks with my lad who is super excite. - hoping to park close to a knowledgable T6 owner who can explain this - and how all the electrics work as don’t understand all the boxes / solar panel fully ;)

Worked out the tape - it’s was out there to protect the inner as the bed board comes down as the edges scrape the fabric - so have padded the edges a bit.

Previous owner (last 4 years) had a full service every 12 months at about 6k miles including cambelt / water pump at 4 years (40k)- so looks like they were just looking after it.

@Paul Sussex
Sorry. Only just re read the post and seen the second half of your question.

Have driven estate cars for 15 years. No comparison to a van.

The van is a big tin box designed for carrying loads practically. It will make noise.

The car is designed to carry loads AND people in comfort. It should not make noise.

Things can be done to lessen the reverb in a van but it will always be a big box.

I have just driven a modern Passat to Belgium and my ears are fine. I drove a van to Norfolk at the weekend and my ears were still ringing on Monday! (But I still need to save up for a trip to CRS!)

Hope this helps.
Thanks, now drive the van for a week or so - yes noisier - but in a nice way ;) it’s a different experience and each creak and rattle reminds me of good times and not a commute to wok

Back