Newbie Here

TheGrapeEscape

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All, my names Mark from Staffordshire.

I'm new here, but not new to forums as such, as I was a member on various car forums in my younger years and a photography forum which I'm still a member on.

After many many years of admiring Vw's and being around friends who own them, I'm now finally on the hunt for my own to make into a day van/camper......and what a challenge it is

I'm looking for a T6, ideally in reflex silver, iridium grey or deep black, but also would like a single slider with tailgate.

I thought I had a decent budget, but I find that weekly prices are increasing, pushing the goal posts further away.

Anyway, I thought I'd make myself welcome on here and introduce myself.

Hello there. I'm a newbie from Staffordshire (Stafford) too, I bought a 2018 T6 highline, deep black on the 6th April. Wasn't my first choice of colour but it was too good a deal, 56,000 miles, 150 6-speed with nav and the colour MFD.

As my brother told me the other day "Tailgates are over-rated", he was the person who sold originally the idea of them to me in the first place years ago when he built his first camper (and then went on to start his van conversion business). But what people say is tailgates mean your cargo in the back can fall out when opening the door. With barn doors this is less of a problem. So I wouldn't rule out a good barn door van at a good price. But if it is non-negotiable then I'd get a tailgate van and not convert later as the conversion is expensive.

Last edited:
Back in the day, Aldridge was in Staffordshire, so welcome veritable neighbours! You will enjoy the forum and find many new ways of spending money on gear you didn't realise you needed!
By the way, I love my barn doors but very difficult to find a replacement rear bumper, should you require!
Enjoy us and our ways! And post pictures! We love pictures!

Welcome to the forum @TheGrapeEscape.

As @gilesjuk mentions, a tailgate has practical drawbacks, including needing to leave a larger gap to the rear for access, but I simply couldn't live with the lack of symmetry inherent with barn doors. A reg plate not in the centre!?? :eek: Err.. no thanks! (I think, though, this is a me issue!)

Welcome to the forum @TheGrapeEscape.

As @gilesjuk mentions, a tailgate has practical drawbacks, including needing to leave a larger gap to the rear for access, but I simply couldn't live with the lack of symmetry inherent with barn doors. A reg plate not in the centre!?? :eek: Err.. no thanks! (I think, though, this is a me issue!)
You are, yet again right @Bav ! D.I.R.M ! Does it really ... etc!! I love my offset plate! But I do love a quirk... but, I would love a pillowcase too if my wife is reading this from the comfort of our home rather than slumming it in Sibbertoft in the van with just the dog as company! How normal I am perhaps...

Hello there. I'm a newbie from Staffordshire (Stafford) too, I bought a 2018 T6 highline, deep black on the 6th April. Wasn't my first choice of colour but it was too good a deal, 56,000 miles, 150 6-speed with nav and the colour MFD.

As my brother told me the other day "Tailgates are over-rated", he was the person who sold originally the idea of them to me in the first place years ago when he built his first camper (and then went on to start his van conversion business). But what people say is tailgates mean your cargo in the back can fall out when opening the door. With barn doors this is less of a problem. So I wouldn't rule out a good barn door van at a good price. But if it is non-negotiable then I'd get a tailgate van and not convert later as the conversion is expensive.
Yep I agree - tailgates are over rated! I’m on my fifth transporter and having had both tailgates and barn doors, I’d say I find life easier with barn doors (especially when I used to live on a terraced street - tailgate was a wee bit problematic!) just get with getting a van and crack on or you’ll never do it

Thanks All.

I think I'm drawn to the tailgate as I want to be able to fit a shower in the rear bootlid when done. Only problem is I researched the conversion kits too, most people are asking £2,000 for the bits.....ridiculous!

I don't regret having the tailgate on the Caravelle and don't find the falling out issue particularly bad (you have to think about it but a barn door is still a pretty big gap compared to a family hatchback)

But it is a pain to always having to be parking 2m from the garage 355 days a year so I can stand under it in the rain and make a cuppa on the kitchen pod for the other 10

Also it's way easier to park these lumps in reverse at which point you can't open the big wing of a tailgate.

The more you use the van in daily use the more practical barn doors will be.

Last edited:
Thanks All.

I think I'm drawn to the tailgate as I want to be able to fit a shower in the rear bootlid when done. Only problem is I researched the conversion kits too, most people are asking £2,000 for the bits.....ridiculous!

And then you have to get them painted as even if you find a kit with the same colour it may have damage or paint fade.

Hi All, my names Mark from Staffordshire.

I'm new here, but not new to forums as such, as I was a member on various car forums in my younger years and a photography forum which I'm still a member on.

After many many years of admiring Vw's and being around friends who own them, I'm now finally on the hunt for my own to make into a day van/camper......and what a challenge it is

I'm looking for a T6, ideally in reflex silver, iridium grey or deep black, but also would like a single slider with tailgate.

I thought I had a decent budget, but I find that weekly prices are increasing, pushing the goal posts further away.

Anyway, I thought I'd make myself welcome on here and introduce myself.
Hi mate..

Welcome to the forum.

Ex dealer and van builder here with 25 years experience of everythimg from 1969 T1 to the modern T6...

First off, dont be offended but everything you've just said is the same Paragraph typed or said by every person i ever had a conversation with who i ever dealt with in terms of their first van lol......down to the preferred colours and everything..
You're always going to struggle with your colour choices... indium grey? Yeah everyone wants that...its on trend... add 5k + to the cost of the van just for the colour my friend, its demand... and dealers know they can exploit it...
Its ruthless, but its true.

Stop....start again.

There are way more things to consider before you buy a pretty van and give it a name (usually the next step...name the van)
Colour should be the last thing on the list.

Colour is an easy fix. You can have vans wrapped so the colour of the van you buy is largely irrelevant really...but it makes a big difference price wise.

So start your search based on the base vehicles mechanical condition and worry about the colour later on?

Hi mate..

Welcome to the forum.

Ex dealer and van builder here with 25 years experience of everythimg from 1969 T1 to the modern T6...

First off, dont be offended but everything you've just said is the same Paragraph typed or said by every person i ever had a conversation with who i ever dealt with in terms of their first van lol......down to the preferred colours and everything..
You're always going to struggle with your colour choices... indium grey? Yeah everyone wants that...its on trend... add 5k + to the cost of the van just for the colour my friend, its demand... and dealers know they can exploit it...
Its ruthless, but its true.

Stop....start again.

There are way more things to consider before you buy a pretty van and give it a name (usually the next step...name the van)
Colour should be the last thing on the list.

Colour is an easy fix. You can have vans wrapped so the colour of the van you buy is largely irrelevant really...but it makes a big difference price wise.

So start your search based on the base vehicles mechanical condition and worry about the colour later on?
Don't worry, I'm not offended, and appreciate the advice.

I think colour is more down to the Mrs, she won't let me buy white.

I've found a nice reflex silver one with barn doors, but it's potentially sold, so I'm just waiting now to see if it's gone

Reactions: CAB
Don't worry, I'm not offended, and appreciate the advice.

I think colour is more down to the Mrs, she won't let me buy white.

I've found a nice reflex silver one with barn doors, but it's potentially sold, so I'm just waiting now to see if it's gone
Buy white....wrap it..lol with a wrap you can have any design or colour you like.
Look at some of the half wrapped vans....baby blue base with a white top half.. looks beautiful

Nice van… I’m new as well , I’m Hunter from Worthing on the south coast..
I’ve been driving transporters for 25years…This is my 3rd now , but first pleasure van .. I opted for LWB , DSG with captains chairs which took months to find and buy , biggest issue for me is It’s been lowered by 30mm but springs only so it’s a terrible ride.
my van is colour is starlight blue which I love but appears to need washing every other day ..lol
I’m very excited for tomorrow .. we are going to Bognor Motors for a DSG map , B14 comforts and discs and pads all round..
I will post some pictures tomorrow..

Nice van… I’m new as well , I’m Hunter from Worthing on the south coast..
I’ve been driving transporters for 25years…This is my 3rd now , but first pleasure van .. I opted for LWB , DSG with captains chairs which took months to find and buy , biggest issue for me is It’s been lowered by 30mm but springs only so it’s a terrible ride.
my van is colour is starlight blue which I love but appears to need washing every other day ..lol
I’m very excited for tomorrow .. we are going to Bognor Motors for a DSG map , B14 comforts and discs and pads all round..
I will post some pictures tomorrow..
Welcome to the Pleasure Crew @Hunter , enjoy spending! Well, I hope you do!

Back