"smart" meter rant

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anyone got a “smart” meter installed. After much pressure, I allowed them to install a one. What a complete waste of time…for me! The trouble is, just like Einsteins brain, it might very smart but its complete gobbledegook to ordinary people. I now have four separate monitors in the van in an easy to understand graphic or list showing exactly what each appliance or circuit is doing. Is it really that difficult for the energy companies to make a simple readout for an average consumer to understand showing what our domestic appliances are costing us? I think not. Unfortunately I’ve always been a sceptic and believe that keeping the customer in a trusting haze of information fog is what's going on. I smell a whiff of big brother organising finances to suit themselves.

301572478_7954699251269466_4165270929434810497_n.jpg

I’m quite happy with our smart meters, mainly because I no longer need to remember to manually read the meters and input the numbers into some dodgy app.

A smart meter is never going to monitor individual appliances/circuits by itself, you need a lot more gadgets for that. It does give a useful instantaneous readout of total power though and accurate day by day monitoring - seems pretty good to me…

What @t0mb0 said, I'm more than happy with mine. I can get an instant readout of gas or electric usage, just like I can in the van.

As far as I'm aware a smart meter can not restrict your supply, it can however be turned off remotely without an engineer attending your property. But, that doesn't mean your supplier can disconnect your energy supply more easily. You are still protected by the same strict regulations in place for standard meters.

Reactions: Loz
Got them installed in both my houses, neither work as their ment to from the user end, but the companies are getting the readings

Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!

I have noticed that since installing them our lights start to flicker threateningly when I grumble about the cost of electricity within earshot of them...
I think many of the “won’t pay” followers who spring up this winter will get a rude awakening on how easily they can be switched to a pre-pay supply!

Suppliers won’t need permission to enter the home to install a “key” meter….it will be a virtual key!

I moved into a new build in June 2020 and the gas 'smart' meter didn't start working until July 2022, only after being replaced, twice! I've got no issue with the smart meters, but don't get me started on British Gas.....

I've yet to be convinced that a smart meter would benefit me, I already understand that my oven, when switched on, uses more energy than my phone charger.
I'm quite capable of reading my meter and telling my service provider the readings, that's not difficult.
My current "not smart" meter works fine, I don't need to be having installers here at least twice, like @Mixersmate, to replace something that doesn't need replacing with something that's no better.
Of course, the authorities would never switch your electricity off remotely, just like Canadian protesters would never have their bank accounts frozen by the government...... Oh, wait....

Unless there is a telemetry enabled, relay activated breaker installed in your house I don’t see how power can be disconnected to an individual property remotely.
Smart meters must be the way forward to advance energy production and storage optimisation. There are huge losses through power transmission which the consumer is paying for, understanding how much is being consumed and when cannot be detailed enough.
Must go now, ever since my Covid jab I hear voices in my head telling me to buy MS shares.

Had a smart meter for 2 over years now and it's never worked. It sends data to the supplier fine, but the consumer screen just says "can't find network". They've been out to it numerous times and each time they leave saying that it'll start working "in a couple of hours". Of course it never does and we've now stopped reporting the problem as the whole process is a farce.

Mine works flawlessly.
One thing it is very useful for is seeing what your resting power usage is. When you think everything is off yet you are drawing 800W! (Find that Jr is out, but his TV is on with the apple TV paused for example!)
I get used to what my resting power is (350w) and go on the hunt for things left on if this is higher, like two Makita battery chargers that consume over 100w even after the batteries are full.

There is nothing sinister about them, but if through the meter I can get a discount for moving the heavy loads to off-peak, bring it on!

Very happy with mine, but then a) it just worked first go(!) and b) I work in IT and the more data I have on anything, the better... Been doing a lot of work on the house so it's been useful to see how effective different things are

I get used to what my resting power is (350w) and go on the hunt for things left on if this is higher, like two Makita battery chargers that consume over 100w even after the batteries are full.

Turned out to be the fish tanks here, but someone will get upset if I turn them off... Mind you, they've been in my office while the building work continues and the extra heat they pump out would be welcome come the winter, if less helpful the last month or two!

Reactions: DXX
Had a smart meter for 2 over years now and it's never worked. It sends data to the supplier fine, but the consumer screen just says "can't find network". They've been out to it numerous times and each time they leave saying that it'll start working "in a couple of hours". Of course it never does and we've now stopped reporting the problem as the whole process is a farce.
Exactly same as mine !!

• Sad
Reactions: Bav

Whaaaat! Good tip - I need to check my makita chargers, pretty shocking design to burn 100w at idle!

Very happy with mine, but then a) it just worked first go(!) and b) I work in IT and the more data I have on anything, the better... Been doing a lot of work on the house so it's been useful to see how effective different things are
The most effective thing you can do is get your kids to move out. My youngest left home a year ago and I've compared last year's consumption with the previous year's. On average we used to use 450 KWH each month and now we use 360KWH each month - a 20% reduction.

The most effective thing you can do is get your kids to move out. My youngest left home a year ago and compared I've last year's consumption with the previous year's. On average we used to use 450 KWH each month and now we use 360KWH each month - a 20% reduction.
In my experience of kids, when they get their own houses and the bills have their name printed on them, they spend a lot less time in the shower.

In my experience of kids, when they get their own houses and the bills have their name printed on them, they spend a lot less time in the shower.
Mine liked to have baths at ours, but now seems to have been converted to showering!

The most effective thing you can do is get your kids to move out. My youngest left home a year ago and I've compared last year's consumption with the previous year's. On average we used to use 450 KWH each month and now we use 360KWH each month - a 20% reduction.
Agreed, my kids flew the nest last year. Hot water on for 1 hour a day and log burner for heating from now on. 1 light on in whatever room the Mrs and me are in. Will save hundreds compared with what they had plugged in.....

Back