"smart" meter rant

Has anyone got a “smart” meter installed. After much pressure, I allowed them to install a one. What a complete waste of time…for me! The trouble is, just like Einsteins brain, it might very smart but its complete gobbledegook to ordinary people.
View attachment 170825

all those figures are guides but how many people actually have a clue about this?

and what about

halogen flood lights
12v down lights
hot tubs
outdoor heaters
underfloor heating - electric obviously

I had smart meters fitted ages ago. Then i swapped suppliers and they didnt work after that. Also the display they gave me is now in a cupboard unused.

Reactions: Bav
I quite like our smart meter, particularly as it reads 0 pence used today, since we've had our solar and battery setup fitted.

Our electricity supplier has been pestering us for years to have one fitted but I point blank refuse to have one.
That's the bit I don't understand.
Your energy supplier is really keen to incur costs to install something that will only result in changes if you modify your behaviour, some will, some won't. If you do, they then receive less revenue?
That's aside from the numerous vans travelling miles to take staff to install the smart meters, then often to reinstall them, probably fuelled by diesel.
How do the energy companies recoup the costs?
The obvious answer is to add it to our bills, but alternative answers are welcome!

The obvious answer is to add it to our bills, but alternative answers are welcome!
By better understanding the demands of the customers, they can better predict the future purchasing of the energy.

My Bro wrote the futures trading software for EDF.

Your energy supplier is really keen to incur costs to install something that will only result in changes if you modify your behaviour, some will, some won't. If you do, they then receive less revenue?
That's aside from the numerous vans travelling miles to take staff to install the smart meters, then often to reinstall them, probably fuelled by diesel.
They save the cost of that wee man who used to pop out to take a meter reading!

Why would energy companies give something away for free?
There will be a way of charging you extra for the times that you use most electricity on an individual property basis. Or something similar.
It can’t save you any money if you are sensible enough turn stuff off anyway.

By better understanding the demands of the customers, they can better predict the future purchasing of the energy.

Better control the demands…!

Why would energy companies give something away for free?
There will be a way of charging you extra for the times that you use most electricity on an individual property basis. Or something similar.
It can’t save you any money if you are sensible enough turn stuff off anyway.
Enables the introduction of surge pricing models…!

Oh, good, every day's a school day!
They save the cost of that wee man who used to pop out to take a meter reading!
We just phone it in, the wee man's not required!

I hope he allowed for enough significant figures when storing the price of a Mwh!

The suppliers get our money to install the SM's - the original SMETS1 meters will all need to be replaced with SMETS2 meters

And once we all have them they will be able to charge us more for electricity when we need it the most :(

Read somewhere recently that they're looking at reduced prices for high usage during the old off-peak times.....

On a related note, I would love an off-grid house at some point in my life. Solar panels, wind turbine, significant battery storage, the works…

Back