140 Euro 5 Whistle noise.

JDC

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hope I can get some help. I've got a euro 5 140bhp and tonight it's developed what sounds like a whistle from the engine under acceleration. I'm hoping it's not a turbo fault as we're going away in just under 3wks. The EGR was replaced a couple of months back and it's been fine until tonight, can't see any cracks and can't really pinpoint the whistle noise. I haven't got anything to check for codes either. I have looked in the search but majority of these faults appear to be the twin turbo version or the newer 150bhp euro 6 version. Anybody got any suggestions on what it can it be? I'm also after a good garage around Liverpool I can it to. Cheers.

Been out checked the pressure from the exhaust as suggested on other posts and seems healthy when the accelerator is pressed so fingers crossed the DPF isn't blocked. Hoping it's a hose split at worse but won't be able to check until tomorrow now. Decided to get the AA out to see if they can grab some codes.

Has it had the CEL on ? If not it might not have any codes.
Noises are hard to diagnose without hearing them yourself.
Fingers crossed the AA man will be able to shed some light on things .

No engine lights whatsoever. AA are coming out today now so we'll see what they find.

Little update. AA came out and checked it over, turbo boosting OK and DPF level was good so turbo never let go. Was told it could be an air intake issue. Got the wife to phone around and see if we could it in somewhere as driving to France in 3weeks. Typical. Nowhere could see it until the week we were meant to go. So sat on this forum for what seemed like hours the other day looking at everything. Got it down to a 50/50 chance of air intake manifold or intercooler. Both req the bumper to come off, so off it came. Straight away you could see the intercooler had leaked oil, took it off and the rear had blown. Wife spotted one at euro's, £130. Had to tell her I was going to upgrade and not buy a cheap one. Didn't look happy but told her it was for the best. Haha. So, new Airtek intercooler on order to be fitted and whilst the front end is striped down, it gives me the chance to fit some lights I bought off @Mark-VW-T6 the other night. Expensive weekend but a lot cheaper and less stressful than getting a garage to do it. Fingers crossed it'll get us to France and back.

20240727_170814.jpg

20240727_170826.jpg

20240727_170822.jpg

New intercooler fitted and it's like a different van. It felt down on power a few weeks now thinking about it, but I've been using it for storage of camping gear and tools so thought it was because of the extra weight. It now feels so much more sharper and hopefully the fuel economy will increase as it plummeted to 29/30mpg over the last couple of weeks. The slight hesitation and whistling noise has also gone along with several hundred pounds of my hard earned.

Back