17” tyre recommendations

The higher load rating will be able to resist overheating at higher loads than required. This inevitably creates a stiffer sidewall and with that, a firmer ride.
However, higher rated tyres tend to be used on heavier vehicles at higher pressures. Used on a lighter vehicle, at lower pressures it's unlikely to make much of a difference and if it does, I've yet to see an exact figure. What I mean by that is that a tyre designed to carry 10% more load won't feel 10% firmer.
Going to a higher rated tyre will give you many more options. If you go for a larger tyre, something like a 235/65/17 for example, you can run them at slightly lower pressure than the standard sizes. This would probably cancel out any perceived increase in stiffness from a higher load rating.

The higher load rating will be able to resist overheating at higher loads than required. This inevitably creates a stiffer sidewall and with that, a firmer ride.
However, higher rated tyres tend to be used on heavier vehicles at higher pressures. Used on a lighter vehicle, at lower pressures it's unlikely to make much of a difference and if it does, I've yet to see an exact figure. What I mean by that is that a tyre designed to carry 10% more load won't feel 10% firmer.
Going to a higher rated tyre will give you many more options. If you go for a larger tyre, something like a 235/65/17 for example, you can run them at slightly lower pressure than the standard sizes. This would probably cancel out any perceived increase in stiffness from a higher load rating.
Thanks very much :)

Tyre pressure recommendations?
I'm just getting some BFG All Terrain's fitted to replace my worn-out Cooper Discoverers.
They're both the same size (245/65/R17) but as non-standard tyres I've never known the correct pressure.
I'm setting off tomorrow to drive fully-loaded to Italy, so want to be sure I've got it right!
Any suggestions?

There should be a sticker for tyre pressures for your van visible when you open your driver's door.

There is but it won't cover the 245/65 tyre size.

This is a good guide:

I read on a recent post on a FB page way to set pressures is as follow:
- set pressure in region you think is ok (say 45psi)
- drive an hour
- check pressures warm
- if pressure has only increased 4psi you set correctly
- if gone up more than 4psi you set too low, let tyres cool and increase accordingly by the difference
- if gone up less than 4psi you set too high, let tyres cool and increase accordingly by the difference

Ill be interested to hear you lots views on this as lots of experience and valued opinons!

I have similar size Falken Wildpeaks just added. I had set at 46psi and after an hour drving they were 49psi so based on above I will set at 45pis.

Now I have a fully loaded van for a long trip so I will do the journey again and see. I suspect I will need more pressure for the extra weight which ties in with the sticker in the door on my shuttle.

I'm running 45psi on 245/64R17 Falken Wildpeak at3wa tyres.

Back