Folks, I've used 245/50/18 on last couple of sets and find its a very good at filling the arches more and also fairly close to std set up. I always thing the 255/45/18 size looks undertyred. You can also get them in 104 load rating as well.

View attachment 218381
245/50 give a speedo error of 3.5mph and are over 30mm bigger. Does it not affect the gearing/ acceleration much?

Not really noticeable. The speedo is probably bang on.
A lot less noticeable than running 265 40 20 that I had before.

Michelin x climates on amarok steels 235/55/18 104 .not had any issues . Camskill tyres , great service and price for a set of 5 .

Hello everyone,

What's people thoughts on tyre choice I have a caravelle running 255/45/18 tyres. The outside edges on the fronts are warn. Just wondering if it's worth putting decent tyres on or just putting a budget tyre on and replacing it more often?
What do you all do ?

Cheers
Stu

I'm 22k miles into a set of Accelera tyres on fairly low Caravelle LWB. Just about to swap onto winter wheels and tyres so I can take a pic of tread this weekend but there is a good 5mm left. I've run Accellera on several cars and transporters now and they really last well, easily 30k plus miles on a well aligned vehicle.

Buy cheap buy twice. Tyres are like insurance .... you really only need them to be good when something goes wrong. Most tyres perform the same under normal driving conditions in the dry and the differences start to appear when it's wet but the real differences show in an emergency and some cheap tyres actually cause the emergency.

Personal preference my 2p below

As the only thing in contact with the road I personally don't skimp when it comes to tyres. I'm a firm believer that with tyres you get what you pay for, buying budget in my opinion is false economy as you will need to change them more often and that takes time and effort. Doesn’t mean you have to buy the most expensive ones you can find but I would go for a premium category. As @Crazymind suggested above I’m also a big fan of the Cross Climates, I’m running the CC2 on the van and the wife’s car (just make sure you get the correct load rated ones for your van) I have found them to be excellent and the wear is minimal hoping to get a high mileage out of them.

Also depends on what you are doing with the van, if you go camping etc in fields then you may want something with decent grip, if you spend 90% of the time on the roads then AT’s might be overkill and the all seasons are a good fit. I like the all seasons as they give you a bit of everything and give a bit more assurance when its gets cold in the winter the CC2’s have also been great in the summer. If you run winter and summer wheels then this is less of an issue just something to think about! Couple of threads on the forum already on all seasons tyres so a search should point you in the right direction if this is something you are interested in.

Except for when I was a lot younger and couldn't afford anything else, I have never, ever skimped on tyres and nor have I understood anybody who does. I'l add that I'm in the same camp as @Crazymind in giving a shout to Cross Climates - I'm on the second set on my Audi Q5 and they will be going onto the van as soon as my current [OEM] tyre need changing (probably mid-next year). The cost a bit more but IMHO are worth every penny.

Hello everyone,

What's people thoughts on tyre choice I have a caravelle running 255/45/18 tyres. The outside edges on the fronts are warn. Just wondering if it's worth putting decent tyres on or just putting a budget tyre on and replacing it more often?
What do you all do ?

Cheers
Stu
If the outer edges are wearing, have you had the tracking and alignment checked?

If its both outer edges its sometimes an indication of the tyre not being inflated to the correct pressure.

I've popped my tyre, Divanti Dx640 255/45/18 XL on a Sportline alloy. These were on my van when i bought it but because I need to replace it could I do like for like or swop out with commercial load tyres rates C. Any advice welcome.

This is my third set of cross climate. Best tyre so far under the Transporter. 235/55/18 best size for ride quality and look.
Good recommendation - I have just replaced the tyres that were fitted to the van when I purchased (Falken Azenis FK510 255 45Z R18 103Y) with Cross Climate 2 235/55 R18 V (104).

I wanted the AT Grabbers, but with 18's I don't think these would look right - these are more practical and fill the arches a bit more (note it is a 4 Motion T32):

PXL_20240110_122652827.jpg
PXL_20240110_122705420.jpgPXL_20240110_122723484.jpg

Good recommendation - I have just replaced the tyres that were fitted to the van when I purchased (Falken Azenis FK510 255 45Z R18 103Y) with Cross Climate 2 235/55 R18 V (104).

I wanted the AT Grabbers, but with 18's I don't think these would look right - these are more practical and fill the arches a bit more (note it is a 4 Motion T32):

View attachment 224928
View attachment 224929View attachment 224930
Looking good there. I'm about to take the plunge myself with those tyres and profile.
What pressures are you running? Any improvement to the ride?

Looking good there. I'm about to take the plunge myself with those tyres and profile.
What pressures are you running? Any improvement to the ride?
Hi Paul, frankly, whatever the tyre place filled them with at the moment and have yet to check.. Ride is noticeably much better on the new tyres compared to the old worn 255/45's - also these were £560 for the four vs £740 for 255/45 for same brand (cross climate 2)..

Hi Paul, frankly, whatever the tyre place filled them with at the moment and have yet to check.. Ride is noticeably much better on the new tyres compared to the old worn 255/45's - also these were £560 for the four vs £740 for 255/45 for same brand (cross climate 2)..
cheers! thats what i was hoping to hear. i am coming from worn 255/45 and the ride was rotten.
i need to get the TPMS coded for the right rating hence the query on pressure.
all booked in now at Bognor!

oh dear my trade price is £106 for 2......not delivered tho
Picking up on an old thread here I know but are you able t
just fitted these yesterday £222 for 4 plus fitting no brainer
as I've said before my mates an Accelera dealer 18,s or 19,s at trade if anyone wants any,,cant post though
stuffed it in the pouring rain and performed as usual Perfect and 105Y

View attachment 45123

View attachment 45124
picking up on an old thread here I know, but can you still get trade prices @T6dork?

View attachment 224928
View attachment 224929View attachment 224930

What’s your suspension set up here? I’ve got the same wheels and wanted a little chunkier tyres. These look good

Back