Long time lurker, first time poster so go easy…

My van is a ‘17 T30 Kombi 204 DSG 4motion, owned it 9 months and looking to change the cheap tyres that it came with - Doublestar 255/45/20 on 8.5 rims. New tyres will probably be cross climates.

Sounds like my current 255/45 is pretty far out from ideal (speedo does appear to have been aligned in VCDS though) so have narrowed my options down to 255/40 or 265/40.

So two questions:
- Appreciate this is subjective but will the reduction in sidewall (either -7mm or -12mm) reduce comfort significantly? I do have a set of Koni special actives so my ride is decent.

- Can I fit a 265 tyre to a 8.5 rim? I know this isn’t recommended but is it ok?

Be good to get some validation before I drop the best part of £1k!
For the T30, assuming that the wheels are 8.5” front and back, go for the 255/40 all round. Perfect load rating for the T30 and a good overall size for that wheel.

You won’t get a significant reduction in ride quality, there should been very little difference. Go with tyre pressures around 38-40 psi and all will be good.

Thanks for the replies. Yep 8.5 around round so does look like 255/40 might be the best option. Suspect 255/35 might be too much of a step down in terms of sidewall as the roads are pretty terrible round here.

Am I likely to feel much difference in the handling? Easier to turn etc?

Thanks for the replies. Yep 8.5 around round so does look like 255/40 might be the best option. Suspect 255/35 might be too much of a step down in terms of sidewall as the roads are pretty terrible round here.

Am I likely to feel much difference in the handling? Easier to turn etc?
If you are concerned about the lower side wall use 245 45 20 the side wall is identical to the 275 40 20 tyres with out rubbing .

I'm just waiting for Shenstone trade tyres to come to the house to fit a pair of front cross climate 2's in 245/45. £220 each plus the tax. Scary to look back at the start of this thread to see how much prices have gone up... I'll have a spare Pirelli P Zero 275/35 with 1000 miles on and a Continental SportContact 6 with 2500 miles if anyone needs a cheap hardly used tyre.

I have the pleasure of 8.5 on the front and 10's on the back on 20's and having recently returned from 'the Lord, my God' aka Steve @CRS Performance he sayeth unto me...
Get yerself 245/45's on the front, and 275/40's on the back. My next treat will be those on Michelin Cross Climates. Only a bag 'o sand! Pah! Some second hand incontinentals sport contact 6's coming up soon I feel.... I'm loving the drive after Steve even on fat tyres on the front.
If his wheels are 8.5j all round then 275/40/20 will be too wide on the rear.

Long time lurker, first time poster so go easy…

My van is a ‘17 T30 Kombi 204 DSG 4motion, owned it 9 months and looking to change the cheap tyres that it came with - Doublestar 255/45/20 on 8.5 rims. New tyres will probably be cross climates.

Sounds like my current 255/45 is pretty far out from ideal (speedo does appear to have been aligned in VCDS though) so have narrowed my options down to 255/40 or 265/40.

So two questions:
- Appreciate this is subjective but will the reduction in sidewall (either -7mm or -12mm) reduce comfort significantly? I do have a set of Koni special actives so my ride is decent.

- Can I fit a 265 tyre to a 8.5 rim? I know this isn’t recommended but is it ok?

Be good to get some validation before I drop the best part of £1k!

If his wheels are 8.5j all round then 275/40/20 will be too wide on the rear.
275 40 20 is too big for 8.5 inch wheels , end off , doesnt matter where it sits but on the rear it wont touch !

275 40 20 is too big for 8.5 inch wheels , end off , doesnt matter where it sits but on the rear it wont touch !
Yes I know Steve, but I was replying to the thread that told him to put 245 on the front and 275 on the back.
Although it’s good to clarify the 275 on 8.5j issue.

Hi @Bigsidavies I was talking about my staggered set up 8.5/10's with 275's on the back. Steve taught me the error of my ways having bought my van with 275's all round! Even with that poor set up Steve's beautiful suspension made a massive difference. Now I have 245's on the front it's considerably betterer! Almost looking forward to a bit of snow to see what these Cross Climates do in the white stuff!

Hi @Bigsidavies I was talking about my staggered set up 8.5/10's with 275's on the back. Steve taught me the error of my ways having bought my van with 275's all round! Even with that poor set up Steve's beautiful suspension made a massive difference. Now I have 245's on the front it's considerably betterer! Almost looking forward to a bit of snow to see what these Cross Climates do in the white stuff!
Yeah mate no probs. I’m the same as you with staggered and 245/45 front with 275/40 front. I was just trying to explain to the op that if he has 8.5 on the rear then not to go with 275.

Yeah mate no probs. I’m the same as you with staggered and 245/45 front with 275/40 front. I was just trying to explain to the op that if he has 8.5 on the rear then not to go with 275.
Understood, worries me I was going round with 275's everywhere for 6 months before Steve pulled me up! Amazing how quickly you learn things on here!

Hey all, Im looking for some advice and gotten a little confused.

I have a T32 camper (since January & first van) with 255/35/20 (97) reinforced tyres. Changed the front tyres end of June and rear late August fitted by a local black circles premier fitter. The front have significant wear (at limit) in the middle of the tyre which I am putting down to over inflation (??) when fitted as I haven't added any air (the outsides still have several mm's of wear left). I've got Nankang Sportnex AS2+ front and rear.

So, Id expect to get more than 4.5k out of a set of fronts so:
1) what pressures should the tyres be at? Front & Rear.
2) looking for suggestions on replacements that will last?
3) can I put a different size on my 20s?

Thanks

That’s defo overinflated although the first issue is your underrated tyres. Need to be 103 or more. Go for a 265/40/20 which is the perfect size for T32 with 9” width or bigger. But need to know your rim width. You can also go 245/45/20 if narrower than 9”. Recommended pressures between 36-40psi. After fitting get your alignment checked so it’s spot on- you will get the best out of your tyres then.

And with the above setup with Goodyear tyres on our vans, we see in excess of 15k miles with normal driving.

There is a load rated 255/35/20 tyre for t32 vans but as above you need minimum 103 load rated for a t32 so you need to change all 4 tyres if they are loaded at 97 as they are unstable for your van!

There is a load rated 255/35/20 tyre for t32 vans but as above you need minimum 103 load rated for a t32 so you need to change all 4 tyres if they are loaded at 97 as they are unstable for your van!
Forgot about the THQ tyres, but I’d personally go for the bigger sidewall’s tyre unless on air and need lows! :)

Thanks both, that's been massively helpful. Bit disappointed that a tyre dealer would fit the tyres without question or challenge with them being underrated. Just need to figure out the rim width and get them sorted.

Might have look at the same time for deals on rims and tyres as I've dinged mine a few times since I got the van as wasn't used to it.

Thanks both, that's been massively helpful. Bit disappointed that a tyre dealer would fit the tyres without question or challenge with them being underrated. Just need to figure out the rim width and get them sorted.

Might have look at the same time for deals on rims and tyres as I've dinged mine a few times since I got the van as wasn't used to it.
We stock nearly 25+ different sets of alloys.4acbfb49-0918-4247-a791-4f0d2150d260.jpeg

Back