Not sure on that one there range rover alloys but I know that means nothing.
I have the near exact same set on my T6 at the moment but in an 18"
I imagine the alloy should have the width stamped on them somewhere

I am currently running 275/40/20 budget tyres on my T32. The front is lowered by but I don't know by how much, nothing silly anyway. The ride quality is pretty awful and the tyres rub on the wheel arches when going over certain undulations on B roads.

Having watched this video
at 12:00 they talk about the sidewall of 275 to be very stiff and causes an uncomfortable ride over bumps which I can vouch for.

I understand I need a load rating of 103, will I notice any difference between 255 or 265?

Any other advice?

That number is the width of the tyre ie 255mm vs 265mm from side to side across the face of the tread
The second number is the sidewall height but it is expressed as a percentage of the width

More info in the pinned post at the top of the wheels and tyres section

Has anybody tried or got any thoughts on Michelin Pilot Sport 5 Acoustic tyres which appear to be available in an unusual 104 load rating in 255/40/20 size?

Probably a bit "too" good for a Transporter van but that size is about as good as you can get to keep the speedo etc happy.

Those that have run Pilot Sport 4's or 4S's, what's the verdict?

Never tried them. And won't be at that price! Lol
Why are tyres so expensive :(

Last edited:
Never tried them. And won't be at that price! Lol
Why are tyres so expensive :(

Everything decent is expensive...I've made a rod for my own back by never having bought a "budget" tyre in my 40+ years of motoring....especially when all that's keeping your £10-£110K van on the road in all conditions are the tyres :thumbsup:

Everything decent is expensive...I've made a rod for my own back by never having bought a "budget" tyre in my 40+ years of motoring....especially when all that's keeping your £10-£110K van on the road in all conditions are the tyres :thumbsup:
I agrre but I feel the great British rip-off has reared it head again since covid.

I learned the hard way at the age of 17, I had time to ponder my tyre choice (remoulds) whilst waiting for the fire brigade to cut me free from the wreckage. I've never cheaped out on tyres since. My daughters are used to my frequent inspections of their tyres and tyre pressures, if I don't do it nobody else will.

I learned the hard way at the age of 17, I had time to ponder my tyre choice (remoulds) whilst waiting for the fire brigade to cut me free from the wreckage. I've never cheaped out on tyres since. My daughters are used to my frequent inspections of their tyres and tyre pressures, if I don't do it nobody else will.

I'm afraid a lot of people ignore their tyres and rely on a TPMS to alert them of low pressure when a two minute weekly check with a gauge can give you a heads up to a slow puncture for example weeks ahead of the dashboard telling you!

A lot of tyres still look okay until they are really low on pressure which doesn't help matters.

Reactions: CAB
I agrre but I feel the great British rip-off has reared it head again since covid.
Don't forget the added Brexit Tax which has nothing to do with Covid, the 'UK' chose that one.....increased duty for all things coming into UK via EU brands/companies:thumbsup:

Statement of fact from an importer of goods in response to 'rip off Britain' claim. Added import friction and duties = added costs for us on parts etc.

The "Fleet News" did an article on tyre price increases last summer. No mention of the factors you mention.

Aren’t there temporary import/export exceptions in place for a lot of the car industry with discussion ongoing what happens when they expire?

Interesting what this article says about like for like ICE to E models, 250% difference between golf and id3!

Long time lurker, first time poster so go easy…

My van is a ‘17 T30 Kombi 204 DSG 4motion, owned it 9 months and looking to change the cheap tyres that it came with - Doublestar 255/45/20 on 8.5 rims. New tyres will probably be cross climates.

Sounds like my current 255/45 is pretty far out from ideal (speedo does appear to have been aligned in VCDS though) so have narrowed my options down to 255/40 or 265/40.

So two questions:
- Appreciate this is subjective but will the reduction in sidewall (either -7mm or -12mm) reduce comfort significantly? I do have a set of Koni special actives so my ride is decent.

- Can I fit a 265 tyre to a 8.5 rim? I know this isn’t recommended but is it ok?

Be good to get some validation before I drop the best part of £1k!

I would probably go 255/35, most people recommended 275/35 for a t28/t30 or 265/40 for a t32. I had 265/40 on my t30 which rubbed occasionally full lock and i now have 9” wheels with 275/35 which dont rub. However can’t recall the offset on my previous wheels

I have the pleasure of 8.5 on the front and 10's on the back on 20's and having recently returned from 'the Lord, my God' aka Steve @CRS Performance he sayeth unto me...
Get yerself 245/45's on the front, and 275/40's on the back. My next treat will be those on Michelin Cross Climates. Only a bag 'o sand! Pah! Some second hand incontinentals sport contact 6's coming up soon I feel.... I'm loving the drive after Steve even on fat tyres on the front.

Back