2017 204 oil consumption! What is the norm?

Andykez

Hi, I’m a new owner from Nottingham
I have a 2017 204 lwb, it’s done 29k miles. I bought it from a VW dealer with a 6 month warranty. I’ve had the van for 6 weeks and driven it for 1800 miles with zero issues, however on Friday the check oil level illuminated, I checked the dip stick and it showed minimal oil. 1.5 ltrs later and it’s fine but I’ll continue to monitor. My question is, what is considered to be normal for oil consumption? I’ve read all the threads about CXEB engines which mine is one, I’m a bit worried I may have purchased a donut. Does anyone have a list of affected engines? Where do I stand with the vw warranty is it worth it. I’ve emailed the dealer just awaiting a response.
Thanks in advance
Andy

Last edited:
We also have a 2017 LWB 204. I don't have to top up the oil between my self imposed 10k miles oil/filter changes. Van has done 60k miles. Are you saying that you checked the oil & it was showing low, but 90mins later it was normal? Was the van parked level, had you let the oil settle after a run, did you push the dipstick all the way into the tube until it clicked?

VW will probably say it’s normal but it’s not. I have a 180ps bi-turbo (apparently the worst engine ever built!), it doesn’t consume enough oil between an 10K mile oil change to need topping up.
IMO send it back, it can only get worse not better.

I check the oil and the stick was not showing then I topped it up with 1.5 litres! On level ground with the stick fully home. In hindsight I never checked it at collection so it may not have been topped up by the very dealer technicians, I’m going to check again after 500 miles

When it comes to warranty the dealer won’t take your word on oil levels and oil added.
They will probably want (you to go away) to do a formal check themselves.
The longer you wait the less chance of returning it, read the small print in the sales contract.

Take it back to VW asap for an oil consumption test (they fill it up, you drive for around 600miles then bring back to check). I have a CXEB which was using a lot of oil from around 80k, by the time it got to 175k was around 1 litre every 300 miles. Emissions were fine. Long story short knackered, needed new engine, DPF, Cat and turbos. I had to pay, £16k inc. Vat. VW dealer wont say but known with these engines, no recall and once out of warranty you’re stuffed.

Exactly that with the DPF, downloaded the DPFmonitor app with a Carista dongle and constant regens. Actually that’s something to try, see how often and how full it is. Mine was 101%. I recon if these didn’t have dpfs they would start smoking a lot earlier and it would be obvious there’s a problem, and mot fails.

Exactly that with the DPF, downloaded the DPFmonitor app with a Carista dongle and constant regens. Actually that’s something to try, see how often and how full it is. Mine was 101%. I recon if these didn’t have dpfs they would start smoking a lot earlier and it would be obvious there’s a problem, and mot fails.

Mine would regen from 25g down to 6g like normal, I'd then drive for a bit it would climb up to 11g slowly like it should and then pop straight to 25g and start the regen again

Back