6.1 Reversing Camera Resolution

bennythestump

VIP Member
Morning Folks!

I picked up a 22 Plate Kombi yesterday and am a little disappointed with the quality of the reversing camera. I have the Discover Media Navigation Head Unit (with 2 knobs - no buttons) and the resolution on that looks pretty sound. When putting it into reverse it was like playing on a Gameboy or looking at photos on my first camera phone.

My question today is can the reversing camera be replaced with one that provides a higher resolution? (the highline one perhaps). If so is it just a camera swap or has all the wiring got to come out too?!?

Obvious question, but is the camera lens clean?

Is it an OEM fitment or an aftermarket one? On my aftermarket the quality is superb unless I have one particular charging accessory connected then it gets a bit fuzzy but is still completely acceptable?

Is it an OEM fitment or an aftermarket one? On my aftermarket the quality is superb unless I have one particular charging accessory connected then it gets a bit fuzzy but is still completely acceptable?
It's a factory fitted camera.

I watched a bit on YouTube this morning and according to Advanced in Car Technologies, the "Lowline" Camera is fitted as standard. There is a "Highline" Camera available but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle.

Lowline and highline refers to camera functionality and gives you moving guidelines when you turn the wheel, the camera is the same so dont think the picture will be any different

Reactions: Bav
I've retrofitted a highline reversing camera on our T5.1, quality is absolutely crap. At the time, I had an RNS 315, thought maybe upgrading to an RNS 510 would give me a better picture quality but it doesn't.

4 weeks ago I bought a year-old T6.1 Caravelle, I directly dropped it off at the company that is going to fit a wheelchair lift. When I drove it off the trailer, I was in shock. What a terrible quality. The van is fitted with a discover pro media (no knobs), with Guidance lines (highline camera).

Maybe my reference points are off (2021 C-class, 2023 Gla, 2018 Vito, 2016 Transit connect), but I had certainly hoped for a better picture quality.

By @Pauly 's definition, I have a factory-fit, lowline camera and don't have an issue with picture quality.

Could be due to my lack of expectation (first vehicle with a rear camera) or could be that yours is faulty(?) Presuming your '22 van is still under warranty, have you discussed the issue with a dealer?

My ‘23 van reversing camera is noticeably worse, in picture quality, than my ‘18 Seat Ibiza: both will be using VAG parts.

Similar to @Bav I've got a MY21 6.1 Caravelle with the middle media pro and what seems to be the lowline camera and never thought the quality was bad compared to other things I've driven.

I'm a bit surprised with it being a Caravelle and lots of extra options (ex dealer demonstrator) that it's not the better camera. The one we hired had a camera with moving lines so I assume highline?

Is it possible to retrofit @Pauly or is it a lot of expense and hassle pulling panels off for cabling?

A lot of expense for little gain IMO, the highline system is basically the same/similar camera with an extra control module in the video circuit that reads the steering angle sensor and adjust the visual display and the steering wheel is turned

I’ve got the’lowline’ camera on my 2021 6.1 and would say the resolution is about the same as my wife’s Mercedes a class but without the guidelines. The only issue I have is how quickly the camera gets dirty

Back