AdBlue not registering

Adblue warning it is fixed; me very happy.
I put another nearly 10 ltrs of Adblue in.
Switched on the ignition and it reset itself with a range of 6,000 miles.
In the past, I have added 10ltrs at the 1,500 warning and it resets to a range of 3,500. Whereas on this occasion I left it until the 1000 mile warning.
The lesson for learning is if you let it go as low as 1000 you need to add more than 10 ltrs say 15 ltrs.

Reactions: CAB
Your van should tell you the advised range to fill up on the MFD? Mine does but mines a 6.1

Beware overfilling, if you fill past the sensor then it will read as empty or nearly empty untill you remove some.

Right. As blue warning came up for 1500 miles and needs topping up. I put 10litre in thinking that would be the end of it.
Wife then drove the T6 to work saying that it still needed topping up. I then bought some more and went to add more to the point where it was brimmed.
Still coming up with the same warning but down to 700 miles now, what do I do?

I heard if you fill it too much the sensor doesn't register. It should correct itself once it depletes a bit. California Chris has a video on YouTube explaining the adblue system, including the issue with the sensor not registering.

Did you leave the ignition on for 30 seconds before you started the van?

Right. As blue warning came up for 1500 miles and needs topping up. I put 10litre in thinking that would be the end of it.
Wife then drove the T6 to work saying that it still needed topping up. I then bought some more and went to add more to the point where it was brimmed.
Still coming up with the same warning but down to 700 miles now, what do I do?
Here you go

The adblue sensor is a bad design and prone to faulty readings when over filled.
You need to get it drained and then refill to the correct level before the countdown hits 0 when the engine wont start.
Get this done asap as it can take a few miles to register the refill.

Been in this situation myself and the van ended up at VW to get it reset when it failed to register and got to 0 miles.
I now only add 5l when I see the 1500 mile warning.

As others have said it's important to only put an amount in that falls between the minimum and maximum on the display.

Is it easy enough for me to refill? It's just local VW garage (but not that local!) kindly offered to do it as he said loads of people get quantity wrong and bring in for them to drain.

Any tips?!? Or should I just take it in and ask them?! And if easy enough, any tips on a brand to buy?!

Thanks

My personal view is that in a lot of cases (possibly even the great majority?), it’s got sweet FA to do with people getting it wrong. It’s just that VW got it very wrong when they designed and implemented the ad blue system and, as usual for them in such matters, they take their customers for mugs and do nothing whatsoever to resolve it.

Is it easy enough for me to refill? It's just local VW garage (but not that local!) kindly offered to do it as he said loads of people get quantity wrong and bring in for them to drain.

Any tips?!? Or should I just take it in and ask them?! And if easy enough, any tips on a brand to buy?!

Thanks
The MFD should tell you how much, so you can buy what you need. You don't need to fill to the top, but don't overfill.

And if you use a pump at a garage or service station it will auto-cut off.

It will regen when the filter reaches a certain level, I wouldn’t try and force one, the van just needs to use up some of the adblue so the sensor can read the level. Others have drained some out of the tank when overfilling but not something I would consider until it thinks you only have a couple of hundred miles left
Adblue has nothing to do with DPF regeneration, it is injected the whole time the engine is in operation dependant on exhaust gas temperature and NOx levels.

IMG_3340.jpeg

So. I’ve did drain it, left it for a couple of hundred miles. Topped up with about 8litres, left for 30 seconds, took it for a little drive and still the same.
It’s gonna go to a garage and see what’s up.
If it doesn’t pan out, is it worth doing a ad blue delete, thoughts?

Confused! The multifunction display is giving a range of 11,500 miles and by chance I just looked it up on the VW app which is giving a range of 7146. Anyone had any similar issues? (T6.1 110) and which measure would you trust?

The app has some sort of upper limit on it, mine currently says 6835 whereas the van says 11000

The figure to pay attention to is the min/max refill amount in the van as that's based on the raw volume measurement and not some guesstimate of the likely range :thumbsup:

Back