Adblue Refill

480bhp

204 DSG SWB T6
T6 Pro
Just a quick one ;)

My van come with 4500 miles showing on the MFD before Adblue is required, which after 1500 miles is still showing the same 4500 miles before filling up is required.

I do mostly main A road and Motorway driving, and general driving time between 30 minutes to several hours, so the engine is probably running at it's most efficient temperature wise (for emissions)
I've not read the manual, so i'm guessing the Adblue is consumed on a needs must basis.

What mileage did you manage before filling up and what's considered your usual journey?

The more efficiently and carefully you drive the longer the Adblue lasts. The first couple of months, I was quite heavy footed in my new toy and caned the Adblue, now I've calmed down and drive it sensibly, it's hardly dropping at all.

5500 miles is the maximum it displays, it will start to drop eventually.

Last edited:
I'm in the last 1500 miles of adblue, it keeps beeping at me... kicking me in the balls. Calling me names and generally bullying me.

My question. How long until it starts to cause safe mode or fail to start?

Mine was showing 4500 when i collected and then dropped to 4000 then 3500 and i have done 1100 miles now.

I'm in the last 1500 miles of adblue, it keeps beeping at me... kicking me in the balls. Calling me names and generally bullying me.

500 then won't start

This from the VW website, it talks about "car", but it's exactly the same for a van.

The first message is displayed when the remaining range is approximately 1,500 miles, and is repeated every 62 miles until the range reaches 1,000 miles, at which point the warning turns amber. This warning is repeated every 31 miles and is accompanied by an audible tone. If these warnings are not acted upon, the warning turns red; once this happens the car will not restart once the ignition is turned off. This is not a fault, but a required feature of the system. If this stage is reached the system will need a full top-up before the car can be restarted.

Ultimately the red warning is at 500 miles.

As posted previously on this subject, anyone in the Midlands area I have about 15 litres of adblue in my shed which I had for my last A6. Also have the container to vehicle adapter. It's way cheaper to do it this way than go to a dealer for a fill up. If anyone in the area wants to take it off my hands for beer tokens, message me.

My range gives me 5000miles but only getting 4000 between fill ups. Also if you let it go under 500 it will still start as I let mine go down to 350 yesterday

The minimum is stated because the vehicle won't actually recognise that you have put any into the tank if it is less that 0.75gal - which is really important if you have got down to the final alert, because if you put in less than 0.75gal the vehicle could still fail to start. As to why the max is 0.75gal is a bit weird, but probably relates to there not being too much room in the adblue tank as you still have plenty of mileage remaining. I never used to worry about it in my A6 till it told me I had a 1000 miles remaining.

Thats what i found (max) strange in my simple mind but i wont panic unit it goes down some more yet anyway.

So long as it is to the BS then there should not be any difference.

Back